Food scale question.

Options
Sorry, don’t mean to sound stupid but I just want to know info on how you guys use your scale? I’m getting myself one for Christmas. I’m serious about my weight loss. I have 40lbs to lose and have lost 20 so far. Do you put the food on the scale directly or do you weigh the plate and then add the food? Also if there’s any tips or suggestions, all are welcome. I don’t want to spend much on one but if you guys know of a good one that’s a good price, let me know. I really want this to work and having a scale will make everything more accurate. Thank you all. Also, let me know if you actually do get result with a scale in comparison to not having one.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You're going to have a big mess of you just start dumping food on the scale. Most have a tare button - if it doesn't then don't buy it. Put your plate/bowl/whatever on the scale - hit the tare button - the scale will now say 0 again - Then put your food on the plate (in the bowl, whatever). If you have multiple items hit the tare again - weigh the next thing. Etc.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Many scales won't have a button labeled "tare". With my EatSmart ESKS-10 the on-off switch doubles as tare, which really just means reset to zero. I looked for a legit tare function which would allow me to input tare but couldn't find one at a price practical for home use. Don't miss it now after a couple years use with this one.

The two scales I had before both had small platforms and a 5 lb capacity. A large stainless steel platform is very useful and the 15 lb capacity means I can but a block of wood on the platform to protect the scale from the heat and weigh, for instance, a dutch oven full of stew in order get the weight before any servings are removed. This comes in very handy for logging and assigning portion sizes to MFP user recipes.
    ...I don’t want to spend much on one but if you guys know of a good one that’s a good price, let me know. I really want this to work and having a scale will make everything more accurate. Thank you all. Also, let me know if you actually do get result with a scale in comparison to not having one.
    If I understand the question, a scale definitely allows results in MFP that make it worthwhile. In my experience, paying a little more to get the features mentioned above isn't essential, but helpful if possible.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Digital-Kitchen-Precise-Multifunction/dp/B018LXSPEA I use this one and it is excellent and weights up to 11lbs. Weighs in oz, lbs, grams, and milliliters and has a tare button. It's only $10.99
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you look at how much counter space or drawer space you have for storage and consider the size of the scale. The larger ones have a bigger weighing platform that accommodates larger dishes. I chose a smaller one with a roundplatform. If I have a larger dish, I put a small bowl on the platform first to raise up the larger dish, so I can still see the read out. Otherwise a larger dish can overhang the display.