Can IV fluids really make me gain that much?!

Options
2»

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    So for thanksgiving you plan to overeat tomorow, yet say you havent been able to eat? Im glad the fluid seems to have made you feel beter and i truely hope thats all thats going on and you werent purposely undereating so you can overeat. Go enjoy the day the calories will make you feel beter they are much needed, You wont put anything on in a day. Go eat now to. food is wonderful and necessary
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    So for thanksgiving you plan to overeat tomorow, yet say you havent been able to eat? Im glad the fluid seems to have made you feel beter and i truely hope thats all thats going on and you werent purposely undereating so you can overeat. Go enjoy the day the calories will make you feel beter they are much needed, You wont put anything on in a day. Go eat now to. food is wonderful and necessary

fair point, but OPs calorie goal is likely to be 1200 so even without eating much it would be easy to go over that with thanksgiving food stuffs.

and actually OP could put on a fair bit in a day... it wont be fat, but it will be scale weight, which obviously bothers her.
  • robynawitz
    robynawitz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would assume that you received two 500 mL bags of normal saline, which would equal about 1 kg per the standard conversion, but as other posters have pointed out your body will tend to hold onto that since you were dehydrated (and normal saline does contain a fair amount of sodium). Did you receive any other medications while you were in the ER? Corticosteroids, for one, will cause you to retain water like crazy.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Yep! A couple of years back I had a round of a type of chemo, for an autoimmune disease. I had a bag of saline before, then the chemo, then another half bag of saline. I gained a good 5-6lbs every time I went in for the treatment, but it always went away before the next treatment the week after.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I gained 11 lbs from 4 days worth of continuous IV glucose hydration for hypoglycemia and edema treatment. It was gone in 2 weeks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Put your weight in to a tracker like https://trendweight.com/. It's the trend line that really matters.

You have to drink more every day so you don't need to go back to emergency. This is healthy.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I came out of the hospital after delivering my oldest child weighing the same as I did when I went in. I had loads of complications and got bags and bags of various types of fluids (saline... pitocin... antibiotics... blood transfusions...). Once my body started to shed the excess water I lost about 20 or 25 lbs in 3 days.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    From a medical point of view - the dizziness etc you described, is also due to low potassium and magnesium (both in the IV fluids) take those supplements and drink a good amount of water, and you should even out. No, Im not a medical professional, I've just had a whole year of bags of fluids, low potassium/magnesium etc (think daily bags..)

Don't let it get to you, stay healthy, add vitamins and pot/mag.