Desk job

Options
Any suggestions for someone who has a sedentary job? I started this job in April and have gained about ten pounds since. My previous job was very active. I'd be running around on my feet for at least 8 hours a day and now I sit all day long. Any tips on how to knock off the pounds with my lifestyle change?

Replies

• PaganUK
    PaganUK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    walk around on you break. trips to the rest room, photocopier etc. park further away from the office or at the far end of carpark etc. if your on public transport, get off one bus stop before or walk to the next bus stop on the way home
    ultimately it's calories in calories out. input you stats into MFP. it'll give you your basic calorie allowance at a sedentary rate.
    good luck
  • amandacalories
    amandacalories Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I try to get up every hour and do a loop or two around the office. I walk to people's offices instead of calling or emailing. Park down the block and walk to and from work. I also drink lots of water/tea so that means frequent bathroom breaks and trips to the water cooler.
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do you have a desk that can be raised? If so, standing instead of sitting is a very easy way to do a little more.

I work in a callcenter, and I'm "tied" to the phone, so walking around etc is not an option for me unfortunately, so my option has been to lower calorie intake while it's off-season for regular cycling.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Be active outside of work.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job too...here is what I do to increase my activity outside of exercise.

1. Park further away
    2. take the stairs
    3. get water at least 1x an hour...down stairs
    4. bathroom I choose is further away.
    5. On my breaks I walk instead of sitting at my desk
    6. I take the long way to my desk
    7. run errands on my lunch

All of those things get me almost 10k steps a day...and I don't work in a high rise...it's two floors.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    When I went from bartending to a desk job that happened to me as well, and I had to a) add in actual exercise to my routine in the morning before work, instead of assuming that all the lifting and running around was sufficient; b) track my calories more closely since I was burning so much less and had a much smaller buffer; and c) fit some movement in where I could, either going to the gym or for a run on my lunch break, running or cycle commuting, or just taking a walk at lunch if that's all I can manage.

I currently bike to/from work (it's not far, only like 5K, so I'm doing it even through our miserable prairie Canadian winter this year - means I get some exercise without adding time to my day since it takes me just as long to get to work if I use transit or drive), run 5-10K 4 times a week before or after work on the treadmill (or outside if it's warmer than -15C or so), and fit walks in where I can (lunch if I can, after work with the dog.) I'm not into strength training so I just kind of faff about a couple times a week with my husband's basement equipment and mostly stick to the cardio I like. And even though I've been maintaining for years, I still track my intake so I don't get taken by surprise.

I'm pretty light at about 118 lbs and I still manage a TDEE of 2200-2600 most days, compared to the no-excercise 1600 or so I get, so for me the extra time and effort is worth it.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The only way you're going to "knock off the pounds" is to eat at a calorie deficit. Being more active isn't going to make up the difference. You need to look at what you're eating. Then being more active can give you a few extra calories to work with, but if you just try to exercise more, it's going to be very tough.
  • dancefit2015
    dancefit2015 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I work at a sort of call center, I caption the phone calls, I don't actually answer them. Here they track the percentage of the time that we are logged into the call program compared to the amount of time we are clocked in. If we are off calls for more than 9% of the time that we are clocked in, we will be talked to about getting that number down... So frequent bathroom breaks, walking around, etc aren't an option here. I've actually had to drink less water since I started here :neutral: I used to work a much more active job and once I switched here I think I gain 10lbs in 2 weeks and then just steadily up from there. I've now lost 20 that I've gained just by tracking calories and doing what I can for movement.
    They do have a few standing stations but other than that I am stuck to walking back and forth in the 3 feet radius my headphone cord allows me to travel.
    I also do small movements like calf raises, flexing/unflexing muscles, and just constantly fidgeting.
  • kbrown49
    kbrown49 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I work at a sort of call center, I caption the phone calls, I don't actually answer them. Here they track the percentage of the time that we are logged into the call program compared to the amount of time we are clocked in. If we are off calls for more than 9% of the time that we are clocked in, we will be talked to about getting that number down... So frequent bathroom breaks, walking around, etc aren't an option here. I've actually had to drink less water since I started here :neutral: I used to work a much more active job and once I switched here I think I gain 10lbs in 2 weeks and then just steadily up from there. I've now lost 20 that I've gained just by tracking calories and doing what I can for movement.
    They do have a few standing stations but other than that I am stuck to walking back and forth in the 3 feet radius my headphone cord allows me to travel.
    I also do small movements like calf raises, flexing/unflexing muscles, and just constantly fidgeting.

This is EXACTLY my issue!! I work in a call center and we're monitored like that as well. So I took had to cut down my water intake. I try walking in place at my desk but it's so hard if we're busy and I have to do stuff at the computer...
  • kbrown49
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I have a desk job too...here is what I do to increase my activity outside of exercise.

1. Park further away
    2. take the stairs
    3. get water at least 1x an hour...down stairs
    4. bathroom I choose is further away.
    5. On my breaks I walk instead of sitting at my desk
    6. I take the long way to my desk
    7. run errands on my lunch

All of those things get me almost 10k steps a day...and I don't work in a high rise...it's two floors.

Those are all good tips!! Unfortunately my building is one floor with one bathroom.
  • kbrown49
    Options
    Do you have a desk that can be raised? If so, standing instead of sitting is a very easy way to do a little more.

I work in a callcenter, and I'm "tied" to the phone, so walking around etc is not an option for me unfortunately, so my option has been to lower calorie intake while it's off-season for regular cycling.

Unfortunately my desk can not be raised. I too am in a call center so I'm attached to a headset for 8 hours.
  • kbrown49
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses!!! I appreciate you all!! If you'd like to add me and help me along with my journey I would love that!
  • taylorro
    taylorro Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work a call center desk job as well, for me I walk laps on my breaks and lunches and will eat my lunch at my desk in between calls. Unfortunately its hard for me to do anything in between calls and getting up for any amount of time is pretty much not going to happen. I started this job in Feb of last year and like you I went from a very active job to sitting all the time and gaining a substantial amount of weight from it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job.

What works for me:

Adopt a hobby that involves activity. I run just about daily and my husband and I often incorporate walking into our weekend date.

Walk on a lunch break. I get an extra 15-20 minutes of walking in each work day just from doing this.

If you have one-on-one meetings and your area will allow it, make some meetings walking meetings. I get an additional 1-4 hours a week of walking from doing this.

Consider a standing desk. I don't think this actually burns many calories, but it helps me avoid feeling "blah" from sitting all day.

Incorporate walking into some or all of your commute. I walk to and from work several times a week. It's 2 miles each way and those miles add up.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I've worked a desk job since 2011 now and I've gained... lost it with MFP... thought I was done so I left MFP ...... gained the weight back *sigh* ..... came back to MFP because I realized I'm never going to be "done" ..... I'm a lifer now ;)
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Following this as have similar issues. List 22 lbs with a calorie deficit and trying to get more walking and flexibility in.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Found this interesting and thought I'd share!

*Caloric Burn for Sitting vs Standing*