Now I seem to have bad knees!!!!! Need help!

Options
I just recently started having knee problems while exercising. I never experienced knee problems before. I played soccer for 16 years, volleyball for 10 years and I was a competitive swimmer. I have not exercised a lot in the past 2 years. Using an elliptical I never had knee problems(it broke). I started the 30 day shred and did it for a week without any pain. Then the second week I started having severe knee pain. I stopped doing it and rested for the past 2 weeks. I no longer have knee pain as of right now. I am afraid to permanently damage my knees. Any one have any ideas for exercise. I need to loose inches on my rear end. and pounds over all (my clothes don't fit any more).

Replies

• ldsupergirl
    Options
    I just recently started having knee problems while exercising. I never experienced knee problems before. I played soccer for 16 years, volleyball for 10 years and I was a competitive swimmer. I have not exercised a lot in the past 2 years. Using an elliptical I never had knee problems(it broke). I started the 30 day shred and did it for a week without any pain. Then the second week I started having severe knee pain. I stopped doing it and rested for the past 2 weeks. I no longer have knee pain as of right now. I am afraid to permanently damage my knees. Any one have any ideas for exercise. I need to loose inches on my rear end. and pounds over all (my clothes don't fit any more).
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The 30 day shred incorporates a lot of lunges which are hard on knees. I've had to be really careful about not dipping too low in the pendulum lunges. My one suggestion is if you are doing lunges make sure that you are not extending past 90 degrees. Also, you knee should never go in front of your ankle. Form can help protect your knees. If you are to afraid to try the lunges, I find lunges onto a step are easier on my knees. It makes it almost impossible to over extend. Take stairs 2 at a time if you want some of the benefit as well.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I was doing some fat burning dvd's when my knee started hurting, so I rested for a few weeks, and started slowly going on the treadmill (only fast walking), and it was okay, but when I tried the dvd again, I have to be really careful or my knee starts hurting again. I have been told that bicycling is a good exercise that isn't hard on your knees, and I have also done that, but it gets frustrating because I saw better results with the dvd. I'm still trying to find a good workout that won't hurt my knee but also burns a lot of calories.:smile:
  • borac
    borac Posts: 174
    Options
    I have exactly the same problem. Never pain before. Did 30 day shred for a week and exprc. Severe knee pain. Stopped for a few days and started again and the pain got worse, not I'm taking the " hot/cold " lotion to ease the pain a little but I'm at the point where I think I should see a doctor.. I don't know what to do or not to do.. I don't want to get permanent damage I'm really scared. But because of the " fear " I don't want to stop exercising either, I just want to be sure like " yes- you can continue exercising- it will get better
    Or " no don't workout- you'll make it worse " ..
    When will I find the time to see a doctor?!!?! Grrr
    But if I do and if I hear something I will keep you posted - or if you see a doctor.. Please let us know what you found out.. ..
  • 3cats75006
    Options
    Recumbent bike and treadmill work the best for me. Had knee surgery last year and still have some problems, but these build muscle and you get your cardio without any pounding on the knee joints. Because I have degenerative arthritis in both knees I asked orthopedic surgeon about exercising. He said the more exerise I get for the muscles around my knee the better.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    With all the knee problems mentioned, I thought I'd suggest Glucosamine and Chrondrotin as a supplement. When I started running a few years ago, I had a lot of issues with my knees. A friend suggested this combination. I'm not sure of your ages but Osteoarthritis can be a big issue with knees.