So I'm quitting the gym...

Options
I just feel like I don't belong in that world. I was so bored walking for 30 min on the treadmill which is what they told me to do, I live in one of the most beautiful places in the country, the countryside is right out my back door literally, I don't know how to drive, most shops are about 30 min away anyway... and they told me to walk for 30 min in a overheated room with absolutely terrible music and video's playing constantly. WHY???

Then I got to push something with my legs and another thing with my arms on 2 machines, exactly the same every time I went, so boring.

I feel like a dork every time I go there. I don't fit in in a place like that anyway. I am not sporty. I am not perky or pert. I am not recovering from an injury (the other half of the people who aren't sporty that I see there). I don't hate my body. They never taught me the stuff I actually wanted to do anyway.

Sooo. I bought myself (on impulse even though I cant afford it really) a barbell and dumbell set (with about 40kg of plates but I suspect I'll be starting a lottttt lower than that :P) and decided to try and do things on my own. It would have helped if they'd shown me how to use things like that but I guess I'll have to make do with copying youtube videos... I'm going to do my walking in the actually nice hills around my house (which is what I did before the gym anyway) and I am going to start being more consistent practicing bodyweight exercises (I made a schedule and everything!!111).

And screw the gym... at least at home no-one is going to tell me off for having a mind and a will of my own :(

Replies

• kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym too. I've tried here and there but it's just not for me. Good for you for doing what works for you, that's what it's all about!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I hate the gym, too. I don't care what the elements are outside, I will endure them before I will become a rat on a treadmill!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hah - I just can't be bothered to go all the way there, when by the time I get to the gym, change, and get set up I could be done a workout at home!
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    the bottom line is that you have to do what works for you...
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Gyms are so awkward. As long as you're out enjoying the fresh air and MOVING you'll be fine! Enjoying your exercise will make it a more sustainable activity and you'll be more likely to stay fit and healthy longer :D
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    The gym definitly isn't made for everyone. Do what makes you feel good. It has to be something you love to be able to keep it going for your lifetime.

And if you went to a gym where they told you off for having a mind of your own, i would have quit going there too.

I love my gym, the people that work there, and love watching all the people in it. But I also take a break and do lots of workouts at home just to keep it interesting.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i hate the gym also... if you enjoy walking, then get a hrm and go for long walks outside. my legs got so much more muscle from walking in my area (lots of hills) than from my elliptical machine. walking is the best exercise in my opinion, especially if you enjoy it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I just feel like I don't belong in that world. I was so bored walking for 30 min on the treadmill which is what they told me to do, I live in one of the most beautiful places in the country, the countryside is right out my back door literally, I don't know how to drive, most shops are about 30 min away anyway... and they told me to walk for 30 min in a overheated room with absolutely terrible music and video's playing constantly. WHY???

Then I got to push something with my legs and another thing with my arms on 2 machines, exactly the same every time I went, so boring.

I feel like a dork every time I go there. I don't fit in in a place like that anyway. I am not sporty. I am not perky or pert. I am not recovering from an injury (the other half of the people who aren't sporty that I see there). I don't hate my body. They never taught me the stuff I actually wanted to do anyway.

Sooo. I bought myself (on impulse even though I cant afford it really) a barbell and dumbell set (with about 40kg of plates but I suspect I'll be starting a lottttt lower than that :P) and decided to try and do things on my own. It would have helped if they'd shown me how to use things like that but I guess I'll have to make do with copying youtube videos... I'm going to do my walking in the actually nice hills around my house (which is what I did before the gym anyway) and I am going to start being more consistent practicing bodyweight exercises (I made a schedule and everything!!111).

And screw the gym... at least at home no-one is going to tell me off for having a mind and a will of my own :(
    While I commend you on taking charge, let me advise you that seeing an exercise on youtube and actually doing it yourself with correct form are 2 different things. Of the many people I see in they gym on a daily basis, maybe 1 out of 4 actually do a bicep curl correctly.
    You really can't see and assess yourself when you lift unless you're doing it in a 3 way mirror. I'd always do any exercises with body weight only till you master the form, then add weight once you've gotten into the groove of how the exercise is supposed to feel.
  • ClarkMer
    ClarkMer Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I love the gym, personally. I work out at home on my own also, but I don't have a/c, so in the summer I need the gym so I don't get over heated. Plus, my kids tend to get under my feet when I work out at home, I'm always afraid I'm gonna step on somebody! I do, however, hate the treadmill. I only use the weight machines, ellipticals, and classes that are offered, if I'm gonna run, it's gonna be outside!

Good luck! I hope the plan you have works for you!
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN Extreme, girl! She'll teach you how to use those weights and build muscle. Good luck!
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I understand, I don't like the gym either. Walking outdoors, is so much more fun. I feel that at the gym, when you walk on the machine it's easier to say you are tired and stop. When you walk outdoors, when you walk to point A the only way you can reach home is to walk it back, there is no quitting and there is so much to see outside, and it makes it more fun.

If you have internet, go online and reseach different exercises for the equipment you bought, and do those.

Goodluck
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Yeah I workout at home or at the gym at work as well. One caution if you are not well versed in lifting though is to watch some video's on correct body mechanics for the workout you are trying to do. Incorrect form can lead to injuries pretty quickly.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you had such a lousy experience at the gym.

I for one am a gym rat.. there is nothing better to me then going to the gym... but only when I want to lift. I must admit that the treadmill does get boring at points.. which is why If I'm just going to walk, I generally try to talk a walk outside unless its like super hot out.

With that being said, I think your post is a bit harsh.

You said that they "never taught you anything you wanted to do anyway". Did you try telling them what you wanted to do/learn? Cause people at the gym are not mind readers.. and unless you tell them, they won't know what you want. Maybe if you had stuck it out a bit longer and told them what you wanted, then they could have shown you things and helped you out a bit more.
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    the bottom line is that you have to do what works for you...

I agree with uniquesoul73

I packed in my gym membership years ago, lots of reasons, mostly because I wasn't making it there regularly enough and they moved the classes I used to do to times I couldn't do. Now I do Tae Kwon Do, have done for coming up to 2 years, while it's slightly more expensive than a gym membership, it's the variety in each class and the people who go that make it really good. Not to mention there's knowing you're also learning how to defend yourself should the need arise.
  • chstarling
    chstarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I cancelled my membership yesterday too... I think for me, the gym was a love/hate relationship, so I decided to save time and money and try some things at home. I bought some hand weights and a Jilliam Michaels DVD. I actually enjoyed trying it yesterday...it was tough but keeps the workout under 30 minutes which is nice.

BTW, when I say the gym was a love/hate relationship, what I mean is that I loved the atmosphere and classes, but I hated feeling like i was never going to be good enough. I live in a college town, so all of the young, healthy, tan folks are hard to keep up with. I know I shouldn't compare myself, but I do, so I just removed myself from the whole situation. And like i said, the time and money saved is well worth it, I think!
  • candistyx
    candistyx Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you had such a lousy experience at the gym.

I for one am a gym rat.. there is nothing better to me then going to the gym... but only when I want to lift. I must admit that the treadmill does get boring at points.. which is why If I'm just going to walk, I generally try to talk a walk outside unless its like super hot out.

With that being said, I think your post is a bit harsh.

You said that they "never taught you anything you wanted to do anyway". Did you try telling them what you wanted to do/learn? Cause people at the gym are not mind readers.. and unless you tell them, they won't know what you want. Maybe if you had stuck it out a bit longer and told them what you wanted, then they could have shown you things and helped you out a bit more.
    They told me to stop questioning them and follow their program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    i hate the gym also... if you enjoy walking, then get a hrm and go for long walks outside. my legs got so much more muscle from walking in my area (lots of hills) than from my elliptical machine. walking is the best exercise in my opinion, especially if you enjoy it!
    Well elliptical machines aren't made to build muscle. Also cardio, whether light or moderate (doesn't sound like you're doing HIIT) is done to burn fat and not build muscle. If you see more muscle, it's because there's less fat.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am getting bored of my gym. the membership is cheap but you get what you pay for. I am starting to get bored of the arch trainer(like an elliptical) i hate the treadmill. I completely understand.
  • wyo_cindy
    Options
    I hear you about the gym. I had a couple of men whispering those fat girls need to just quit eating because they are gross to watch exercise. this happened when I was in highschool and I have never been able to go back to a gym. Sounds like you have thought this through and this would be a but thing for you. Good luck !!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a wise decision.