Becoming a Vegetarian

Options
2»

Replies

• Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your advice! For now, I have cut out all meat, but not all animal protein. I am going to eat eggs sparingly as I transition into new protein options. I'm struggling a little bit to get all of my protein, but I'm getting so close. I've cut out most dairy, but not all (struggling with cheese and yogurt esoecially!). I think the one meal at a time suggestion is incredible. Last night I was really craving meat sauce spaghetti, but ended with a delicious vegetarian ravioli, and don't feel like I missed out at all! Meat substitutes scare me a little, but I have tried some veggie burgers that I really liked, and they were a great alternative at cookouts. I am so excited to for all the new foods I'm sure to discover on this journey.

Your recipes are so welcome and appreciated! :)

If you crumble up firm tofu, mix with flavourings (soy, garlic, sriracha, maybe marmite, mustard -- whatever) and spread on parchment on a bake sheet -- spray with (maybe coconut oil) Pam or similar .... bake at 350 for about 40 minutes --- letting it brown and cook, but not burn too much --- add to your spaghetti sauce at the end of sauce simmer/cooking--- you will be surprised how good it is and texturally difficult to tell the difference. Original recipe here: https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/tofu-bolognese/

• ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That's an excellent idea, thank you!
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    supplement B12

Thank you!

You need to supplement B12 if you have a vegan diet with no animal products.

If you eat a vegetarian diet and include eggs and dairy, then you don't need extra B12.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    supplement B12

Thank you!

You need to supplement B12 if you have a vegan diet with no animal products.

If you eat a vegetarian diet and include eggs and dairy, then you don't need extra B12.

Perfect! I am going to eat limited amounts of eggs and dairy (at least for now), so this exactly what I needed to know.
  • HaleCry
    HaleCry Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Decided today I'm going to attempt to give up meat and transition to vegetarianism. Add me please, I need the support!
  • autumnbates2018
    autumnbates2018 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a vegetarian for nine years now, and it has been the best decision of my life.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    One more thing...do you all take B12 supplements? It wasn't really somethong that crossed my mind, but absolutely makes sense.

I haven't cut out eggs or dairy, so I get my B12 from those sources. It's about the only nutrient you can't get naturally from a completely plant-based diet. (Some cereals and nutritional yeasts are fortified with B12, but if you don't eat those much, and you're planning to eliminate eggs and dairy, you would need to.)

My diary is open if you'd like ideas.

One thing I'd like to mention: I'm 45 and went veg at 19. I expanded out to 254 lbs as a vegetarian and I'm slowly shrinking down to 130 or thereabouts as a vegetarian. It's a healthy way of eating, but it's not magical.
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello! You can add me. I'm a long-time vegan and foodie - the two are not mutually exclusive -
    and if you like cooking (or like the idea of trying it) then I can recommend some cook books and food blogs. Currently, I'm trying to lose 6kg or so before my wedding and therefore my food diary isn't very inspiring but once I switch to "maintainance" I will try new recipes. Just to say, I haven't had meat since I was a small child and never missed it. Once you start exploring what amazing things you can do with vegetables, fruit, nuts, beans, ... you will find that what you eat as vegetarian or vegan is only limited by your imagination!
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    One more thing...do you all take B12 supplements? It wasn't really somethong that crossed my mind, but absolutely makes sense.

On vitamin B12, I just take a normal vitamin supplement. Pregnancy supplements also seem to have all the stuff you need.

Actually, I'm not sure how useful supplements are in general - I went 20 years without and never noticed anything - but they probably don't hurt either.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If you find yourself getting bored, try exploring vegetarian cuisine from different world cultures with a history of vegetarianism. Indian food, for example. One of my favorite sites is vahrehvah.com - he is not a vegetarian but is vegetarian friendly and includes a number of vegetarian recipes. Japanese food also has a long tradition of vegetarian dishes.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    I think boredom has definitely been creeping up, so excellent idea! I don't really care for any of the grocery store meat substitutes (and I'm really not looking to eat super processed foods anyway), so my diet is full of beans and nuts and veggies...it gets old. I love, love, love to cook, so recipes are always welcome!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    pinaycoco wrote: »

On vitamin B12, I just take a normal vitamin supplement. Pregnancy supplements also seem to have all the stuff you need.

Actually, I'm not sure how useful supplements are in general - I went 20 years without and never noticed anything - but they probably don't hurt either.

For vegans, supplementing B12 (or eating fortified foods) is essential. It isn't naturally found in any plant foods.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think boredom has definitely been creeping up, so excellent idea! I don't really care for any of the grocery store meat substitutes (and I'm really not looking to eat super processed foods anyway), so my diet is full of beans and nuts and veggies...it gets old. I love, love, love to cook, so recipes are always welcome!

Not sure how you define "super processed" but why not try tofu and tempeh if you're bored with beans? Or you could make your own seitan -- that way you could avoid whatever it is you don't like about pre-purchased meat substitutes (unless you consider flour too processed).
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten meat since August of 1993. When I first became a vegetarian, I was a teenager and paid not the least bit of attention to protein, B12, etc. I was fine. Unless you eat an extremely limited diet of the same few things every day, you are probably not going to have issues with these things. I still don't track macros. I have no desire to become a vegan.

It is possible to have high cholesterol as a vegetarian because I did at one time. I switched from refined grains to whole grains and have maintained excellent cholesterol ever since (my problem was mostly with triglycerides, though). It is also possible to have high blood pressure as a vegetarian. In my case, that appears to be genetic as I am at the low end of the healthy BMI range and am generally quite active (my current diary is not a good reflection of that as I had surgery a few weeks ago and can't do strenuous exercise yet). I have been both overweight and a healthy weight as a vegetarian so it is definitely not a cure-all for weight and related issues. (I gave up meat because I thought eating animals was gross, perhaps not the standard response to the question but it has worked for me for 24 years.)

A good cookbook for the transition is How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. It is a bit heavy on the dairy, but many of the recipes in there actually sound good and can be made with easy-to-find ingredients. Another one you might check out is Mediterranean Harvest by Martha Rose Shulman.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have been a nutritionfacts.org follower (youtube channel) for years. The MD behind it is a strong vegan advocate. I can say that I lowered my dairy/meat intake by 75%. But I also think that those fans are wrong regarding the fat intake - some vegan doctors don't even want you to consume any oil.

So if it is possible, my food inspiration is 50% vegan - 50% Keto. I guess that's like saying being 50% pregnant... lol.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm heading towards year 2 of being completely meat-free! I do eat eggs and very little dairy.

I just stopped eating meat out the blue. Was never a big on meat. Just ate it because it was there and that's what I grew up on.

I haven't gotten bored. I get a lot of inspiration from my great MFP friends that post delicious veggie recipes, from other foodie websites and there are a lot of veggie/vegan recipe books out there now.

I go to my local library check them out and purchase the ones I enjoy. I also put my own spin on recipes and use my own spices and seasonings.

My diet has never been as diverse, flavorful and colorful as it is now! I'm so happy I went this route.
  • Aint2Proud2Meg
    Aint2Proud2Meg Posts: 193 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 5 years now. If anyone (herbivore or omnivore!) would like you can add me. I keep my diary open and am happy to share recipes.
    You do not need to supplement with B12 if you're vegetarian. At least it's unlikely. You probably do if you go vegan (it is certainly important!) But I never HAD to because I was getting it from other sources.