Best way to improve run time?

Options
Ok, so did a 3 mile run last week after 60 mins of stairmaster. Took 37 minutes.
Did it again today fresh, hydrated and all stretchified, and ended up with a 34:15 time.

Was really pretty disappointed with those results, since I've been doing a lot of cardio at the gym.

I've been going 4 to 5 days a week, doing an hour on either stairmaster, treadmill, or elliptical.

What could I do to get my running endurance and speed to a pace of a 9 minute mile more effectively? Must be a better way to improve this.

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Check out the link in my signature. It works for me.

The bottom line is you need to add distance (for endurance), and speed work (faster foot turnover). There are a few methods to increase your V02 Max, and lactate threshold; intervals, hills, and tempo runs being a few options.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Strength training 2-3 x per week
    Intervals/Sprints
    Hill Training

These are you three best bets. Please note speed trianing shouldn't exceed 10% of your training as it can (and usually does) lead to injuries.
  • Ballay
    Ballay Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump! This is a big problem of mine as well. Cant wait to see what others have to say about it.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you need to not do 90+ min of cardio back to back like that. badd idea.
    after 60 min of intense workouts-- your body needs carbs to run off, so you would need to eat a bar inbetween or something..

also... INTERVALS.
    to get a 9 min mile pace.

RUN- 6.2 on treadmill for 1 min
    RUN- 6.7 on treadmill for 2 min
    REPEAT THIS until you have completed your 3 miles or circuit.

the next week incease hard interval & decrease easy interval

30 sec on 6.2
    2:30 on 6.7

next week doo something like

10 on 6.2
    2:50 on 6.7

HOWEVER--- interval training should NOT be done every day of the week....

You need to split up your days like
    monday- interval
    tuesday- easy run ( 4 miles easy pace of 5.0 on tredmill)
    wednesday- interval
    Thursday- cross train (elliptical or stairs) OR easy run again (repeat tuesday)
    Friday- distance run ( run for 60 min- 90 min with snack)
    Saturday- easy
    Sunday- rest?
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you need to not do 90+ min of cardio back to back like that. badd idea.
    after 60 min of intense workouts-- your body needs carbs to run off, so you would need to eat a bar inbetween or something..

also... INTERVALS.
    to get a 9 min mile pace.

RUN- 6.2 on treadmill for 1 min
    RUN- 6.7 on treadmill for 2 min
    REPEAT THIS until you have completed your 3 miles or circuit.

the next week incease hard interval & decrease easy interval

30 sec on 6.2
    2:30 on 6.7

next week doo something like

10 on 6.2
    2:50 on 6.7

HOWEVER--- interval training should NOT be done every day of the week....

You need to split up your days like
    monday- interval
    tuesday- easy run ( 4 miles easy pace of 5.0 on tredmill)
    wednesday- interval
    Thursday- cross train (elliptical or stairs) OR easy run again (repeat tuesday)
    Friday- distance run ( run for 60 min- 90 min with snack)
    Saturday- easy
    Sunday- rest?

when you do interval training, you should feel like you are going to die during the higher level parts. You should be working at 85% max HR then bringing it back down a little during the low intervals.
  • mammacano
    mammacano Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump.. I would love to increase my run time first, then my speed..
  • sufikitkat
    sufikitkat Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    To be honest, what worked the best for me was to focus on 5K's. I have a very long training schedule for my half marathon so I had the opportunity to take a month in a half to focus on training for a 5K. I decreased my time from a 10;35 pace to 8:30 pace by doing so. Every run I focused on negative splits and threw in some speedwork here and there. I also continued to run my long runs once a week. Good luck!
  • DJH510
    DJH510 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    do more running. If this doesn't work, do a lot more running.
  • LyneaS
    LyneaS Posts: 22
    Options
    I have been doing Hal Higdon's Intermediate 5K training. It has tempo runs, long runs, etc.
  • violon
    violon Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    strength training has actually helped me improve my speed as well... i've been doing bootcamp-type workouts and have dropped about 1 min/mile. just a thought.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    strength training has actually helped me improve my speed as well... i've been doing bootcamp-type workouts and have dropped about 1 min/mile. just a thought.

This helped me too. When you're legs are stronger, they're able to run faster for longer. If you strength train between cardio days, the next cardio day, your runs will feel easier & you'll want to go harder.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    I am not an expert but I have run in several 5K's over the last few years. It seemed the more I ran it just improved slowly over time. Recently, I have walked more than I have run but I can run faster now than ever. My last race ny goal was to run it in 30 mins I did.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Hills, hills & more hills. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Training needs to be specific. If your goal is to get good at football then practice football skills and play football. If you want to improve running and this is your only goal then you need to base your training around running. Cross training on the stair master, bike and swimming is fine for recovery but these sessions should be based around a structured progressive running routine.

As others have mentioned you need to be doing intervals, a tempo run, an endurance run and possibly a recovery run each week as a starter and build it up.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    haven't read thru the posts, so this may be redundant:

INTERVALS :)
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Interval sprints 2x/week, longer run 1/week, normal run/cross train/weights/day off for the rest.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Strength Training. Squats, deadlifts, barbell rows. It really helped me take over 30 seconds per mile off my normal running pace in about a 6 weeks, not to mention about 8 pounds as well. If you are looking for a good routine, I recommend doing stronglifts 5x5.