Cable machine alternatives?

Does anyone have any really good exercises to replace cable machine exercises ?

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Free weights and I would suggest that you research more info on how to lift weights as to not hurt yourself
  • connmehigan
    connmehigan Posts: 4 Member
    Umm alright man thanks for the terrible advice. I'm asking for specific exercises not just free weights. Should I specify a good alternative to a lat pull down or have I not done enough research?
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Umm alright man thanks for the terrible advice. I'm asking for specific exercises not just free weights. Should I specify a good alternative to a lat pull down or have I not done enough research?

Pull ups....?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

It was great advice based on your question. If you want specifics, be more specifics as what exercises (not apparatuses) that you want alternatives to.
    For Lat Pull down you can do pull-ups (assisted if you can't do at least 3). You can also do bent over barbell or dumbbell rows to hit your lats.

what other exercises do you want alternatives for?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2017
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Cables are just resistance. So, create resistance. Many ways to do that. What do you have available?

^This

What specific cable machine and/or cable machine exercises are you trying to mimic? Your question is too vague for good responses. Several different types of "cable machines" and many possible movements.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    edited November 2017
    Terrible advice? You DIDN'T ask for SPECIFIC exercises, so how is it terrible advice? Maybe if your question wasn't so vague, you would have gotten a more concise answer.
    It's like when someone asks "how do I lose weight?" The simplest answer would be "eat less". So how about being more specific in your question?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Which of these cable machine exercises are you trying to replace?

Cable Judo Flip
    Pray tell, how do I replace this one without having to judo flip a person? :D

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Cable Judo Flip

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Would you consider that a body weight or a free weight replacement? lol
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Does anyone have any really good exercises to replace cable machine exercises ?

Where are you looking to do this?

At home?

Can you do pull ups?

You can do lateral pull downs with resistance bands and a door anchor if you can't do pull ups, but pull ups are a superior exercise for the same muscles. I say this as someone who can't do pull ups.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Cable Judo Flip

All I can see in my head is the bit at the start of Dodgeball where Justin gets tangled up in the machine at the gym :D
  • connmehigan
    Now that I look back at my comment I realize that I was very vague and I just want to apologize for making that extremely rude comment. I acted in the moment. What I'm really looking for is for better exercises to isolate my lats and triceps without cable machines, since I do not have access to machines. Free weights were a good idea I just needed more specifics which I did not clarify that I wanted. Thank you for understanding.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Now that I look back at my comment I realize that I was very vague and I just want to apologize for making that extremely rude comment. I acted in the moment. What I'm really looking for is for better exercises to isolate my lats and triceps without cable machines, since I do not have access to machines. Free weights were a good idea I just needed more specifics which I did not clarify that I wanted. Thank you for understanding.

No problem. People just grumpy because of Turkey overdose. ;)

Lats:

Rows with DB's and Barbells.
    You can try pullover variations with DB's and BB's. Straight arm and bent arm.
    Also pull-ups or chin-ups. If you can't do them yet, you can do the "negative" variety, where you either jump up or use a step to start in the upper most position and slowly lower yourself down.

Triceps:

Here is a good link to some DB workouts for tri's. https://dumbbell-exercises.com/exercises/triceps/
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    The one thing I do to help myself in more areas then just when I go to the gym is youtube. Have you tried searching youtube for body weight muscle training for your specific muscles you looking to train.

You will have to look thru and find the ones that suit you. If you also dont have access to weights you can use everyday things to add weight. I guess you would have to have some kind of way to weigh them to know how much your using,but a gallon of water,cement blocks, rocks in a bucket. Just have to be creative and do what works for you.
  • connmehigan
    Thanks man