Bone on bone arthritis and excersise

Options
2»

Replies

• Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I had a full hip replacement almost 7 years ago, it was bone on bone. My doctor told me to keep exercising as it wouldn't make it worse since it was already bone on bone. I was back in the gym in 6 weeks. I was not a runner before, so the doctor and the physical therapist both told me that I should stay away from running. I now swim, bike, lift weights and do a kickboxing/boxing class. In January, I saw the doctor and everything still looks good.
    I had lost about 100 pounds before I had my surgery and was in decent shape. My doctor is super conservative and I could have been back to work quicker, but he wouldn't even see me for 6 weeks to get a release.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I am 7.5 weeks post op. I walked 3-4 miles a day prior to surgery. I am now up to 1-1.5 miles a day and I do modified Zumba 2 times a week. I lost 60 pounds in 6 months prior to surgery and have lost another 10 since. Best of luck
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about shoes. A life time ago, in school, I was always spraining one or other of my ankles, I found the slightly above flat shoe much more comfortable then. What ever works for you. I have seen some of the support products for use in heals. (I even picked some gel ones up by mistake with ones for flat and can see no difference, giggle, they were not full foot)

Always Do what works for You.

(I had to give up swimming 15 years ago or so, because of chemical sensitivities, perfumes, laundry residue, cleaning products, i'd love to get back to it. Once when a granddaughter had been with us for 3 weeks work experience at a stables with her regime, I was on my crutches, could not believe it when it was all passed within two weeks! depends what sets it all off. I don't have confidence yet to try swimming again now my sensitivity is much improved/reduced. I'm still getting used to how I am now and don't want to push myself too far)
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    Well still doing my research and came across this.

n the anterior hip replacement, an incision is made down the front of the thigh, starting at the pelvic bone. This approach will have 1 or 2 smaller incisions made. This approach is more technically challenging for the surgeon due to the limited view. This approach is only suitable for patients who are: average or low body weight, and who don’t have any bone abnormalities. Although not for everyone and not popular with all surgeons, the incision and scar will be smaller.

Average Scar Length: Approx. 3”-6”

so I guess that, as I am unlikely to get to "average or low" weight for about 1.5-2 years that the surgeon is preferring the posterior approach. I can't put up with the pain for another 2 years!

My friend - who weighs over 14 stone - had the anterior op this year at the same hospital I went to.
    It's not just for low weight peeps. It's just not for really obese peeps - 18 stone etc.
  • Quirky_but_nice
    Quirky_but_nice Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    dailymail.co.uk/health/article-4531288/What-NEVER-tell-hip-operations.html

This is the reason I wanted to have a different op. The supercapsule op doesn't depend on you being thin. I was up and mobile without pain actually in the operating theatre before I went to the recovery room where I woke up again(!) The operation took 40 minutes I was told. Later the same day I could walk with 2 crutches easily and was watched by the physio go up and down stairs, also comfortably.
    I had the spinal block which was augmented in the recovery room, so I had no pain at all the first day.
    I was ready to go home the SAME day and I had NO restrictions, that is, I didn't need a high toilet seat, I could lie on whichever side I felt comfy in, I walked with a single crutch from day 4, and a stick from day 12. I went back to work at 2 weeks.
    The recovery time is less, but more important is the pain is also much less and I was totally painfree after 2 weeks.
    It is available on the NHS for us Brits and is a total no-brainer for me.
    The only reasons for you being refused the op where there is a surgeon who can do it, is for there to be some pre-existing deformity in your leg/hip/joint that needs a larger incision.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - all very encouraging... I have an appt in March and a letter from the consultant confirming that he will put me on the list with a view to a July op. In the meantime I will do my research further and then make some decisions. Aiming to lose that next stone and get back to swimming regularly. Merry Christmas everyone!
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - all very encouraging... I have an appt in March and a letter from the consultant confirming that he will put me on the list with a view to a July op. In the meantime I will do my research further and then make some decisions. Aiming to lose that next stone and get back to swimming regularly. Merry Christmas everyone!

Good luck. I really would look into getting at least one more opinion if you can.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I degenerative osteoarthritis in my feet. Thankfully I love swimming. I highly recommend this to anyone who has a condition that mates impact aerobics not an option.
    Spin classes work for me too.
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Thanks! spin classes would destroy me at the moment but swimming ok. Will try some gentle aqua aerobics and see how that goes too.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Olympic athletes have returned to competition after hip replacement, so with proper treatment and rehab, there are no limits.
  • FattieBabs
    Options
    Thanks for that! But of a restless night last night and had to get up and walk around a bit to free up muscles etc and control pain. I am learning a lot about pain management. Holiday coming up so will have to be careful not to undo the work I have done so far but there is a water aerobics class there which is usually fun so will see how it goes..
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I had hip replaced at 48 and now 52. Make sure you complete physical therapy and take time getting back to exercising legs. Prior to replacement i completed 4 marathons. During therapy i also took up swimming and now really enjoy it. After 6 months i went back to running at slower pace and stayed off of running on concrete. I also got into sprint distance triathlons as a new hobby.
    2 years after surgery I had a follow up with hip doctor just to see everything was holding up. I did not tell him about triathlon prior to visit. Reviewed X-rays and said everything was GOOD. I then told him what i was doing and he said it was fine as long as i had proper running shoes and stayed off of hard surfaces.
    This summer i completed a 1/2 Ironman.
    I also have to keep weight down.

take time to recover and complete PT

• FattieBabs
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Still dieting and even managed to climb up from a dinghy onto a yacht on holiday and go sailing. Slight setback with right knee after the holiday but continuing on the weight loss. Your comments have been very helpful...