Obsessed with scale

Options
How often should I weigh in? I weighed in morning at about 118.6
This morning was 1117.4!!!

But before bed I'm 120

I feel like maybe breaking away from the scale will help but am not sure???

Any tips on how to how ease off the scale
I'm just trying to look nice at Christmas and New Years

Anything helps.

Good luck to everyone! Keep pushing!

Replies

• PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I think once a week. At the same time, upon waking, before you eat or get dressed etc.

You will always weigh more at night after a day of eating and drinking.

In your pic you don't look at all overweight. How do you feel about yourself? Perhaps work on liking yourself more.
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That number on the scale only has significance if you let it. Weigh in once a week at the same time on the same day. For me it's Wednesday mornings. I usually gain three to four pounds during the day. If I want to try to lose a little extra from week to week I won't over do it in the gym, instead I'll add some light cardio into my day. Maybe a two mile walk with my dog every day for the week or I'll ride the exercise bike while watching TV during the week nights. Those little calorie burns add up over the week and I don't have to worry about burning myself out either.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I recommend you look into other ways to measure progress and step away from the scale.

For me, I know my weight is one data point, and I only really use it to track if I am going in the right direction (weightloss vs gain). I mostly use the mirror, progress photos, measurements and how my clothes look/fit.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Use a trend app like Libra if you weigh daily. Only weigh once a day. In the morning, after potty time is ideal.

Obsess with a food scale, not a body weight scale.

What happens after Christmas and New Years? Wanting to look good for them is nice, but do something that you can sustain to, and beyond New Years.
  • naomiday85
    naomiday85 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    samikeith wrote: »

But before bed I'm 120

Anything helps.

I’m terrible for weighing myself but have cut back loads! I just can’t get my head around it, I do feel better but the scales have said the same for months. Literally .4/.5 of a difference... I’m still plodding along though.

Good luck x
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You do realise that after eating/drinking all day the scale would reflect all that extra liquid/food!
    Weigh yourself once a day - first thing in the day before you eat/drink anything is ideal.

It can help to use a weight trending app so you can see the overall trend is where you want it to be. Weight fluctuates for every single one of us.

If you can't handle fluctuations, stay off the scales apart from e.g a weekly weigh in.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Weigh just once a day, in the morning. You can input the result at the "check in" tab here with MFP, which will generate a chart of your progress. I also us the Happy Scale app on my phone. Once you've done that, stay off the scale until the next morning. It just messes with your head.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You actually look very thin in your profile picture so I would suggest putting that scale away and just weighing weekly. A scale obsession can very easily spiral into other things where you really do not want to be going. How tall are you ?
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yes, how tall are you? Have to ask and no offense because you look terribly thin......do you have an eating disorder? I am sure there are those on here that do.
    If you don't......forgive me. Just put the scale somewhere hard to get to and have a designated weigh in day.
  • samikeith
    samikeith Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5'6 I think.. not entirely sure

I do not! No worries I get it.

Yeah i put it away. I will weigh myself next week

I just couldn't get out of my head last week.

• Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    samikeith wrote: »

But before bed I'm 120

Anything helps.

I weigh once a day max, at the same time every day. I don’t judge myself by the number. It’s just information, along with measurements, fit of clothing, and workout logging.

I think it takes practice to stop obsessing.
  • Lodich
    Lodich Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Once a week is too long for me. I need to see progress quicker. I weigh every other day. However, I have to remember that fluctuations happen and not to get down on myself if I see the scale go up mid-week.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I go by clothing fit, especially waistbands. I never weigh myself as I knowy addictive personality would go nuts! I've given 12 month old size (UK) 12 jogging bottoms to charity (goodwill) and now fit into size 10 without going anywhere near a starvation diet & scales.
  • aaronstewart582
    aaronstewart582 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh my self first thing in the morning and that is it. Whenever I don't weigh myself I put on weight. It holds me accountable.