Metformin Users? (PCOS related)

Options
For all of you that have PCOS and use Metformin...

If you don't take it do you still lose? even if you eat low carb, stay within your calories, drink you water....

I HATE taking my Metformin, HATE HATE HATE.... and well I've been doing everything right, but for some reason keep gaining and losing the same damn 1-2lbs!!

Was wondering if it's maybe cuz I am not taking the Metformin? (please don't go on a rant about the important of using it, I know this, I just don't like taking it)

What I really am interested in is if anyone has experimented with no taking it and was able to still lose weight?

Replies

• liberaltendencies
    liberaltendencies Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I took metformin for about a month and it did nothing for my PCOS. I lied to my doctor and told her I was still taking it. I didn't notice any difference in weight.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I have tried it on and off for about a year. I was really good for about 5 months, and lost 4 pounds on it (on top of the 30 that I lost without it). But, I don't love the way that I feel on it, so I stopped. I still periodically take it, but defintiely not regularly. I have lost 7 pounds this year while off it. And I maintained the 30 pound lost from last year without taking it. So, I definitely think taht you can lose weight without taking it. I have lost a total of 35 pounds without it. But, I did significantly change my diet, and I exercice about 60 min a day, 5 days a week. When I was on it consistantly it helped with some of the symptoms, but I didn't notice much help with weight (at least not more than I was doing on my own)

Is your doctor pushing it? My doctor didn't recommend it. I decided to try it because I stalled in my weight loss goals. But, I didn't notice enough of a change to stay on it, so I just don't take it anymore.
  • akellyking77
    akellyking77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I either have to take it or not take it. I learned that if I miss doses here and there that my weight loss is next to nothing. I guess due to the levels going haywire on me. I've lost weight both on and off of it though.
  • angela360
    Options
    I was on metformin for a long time. When I first started taking it, my side effects were so bad that I refused to take it. My doctor switched me to the extended release which works a hundred times better and eliminated most of my side effects. However, I had to have a surgical procedure done about two months ago, so I had to stop taking it for the month leading up to the procedure. During that time I kept dieting and exercising and my weight loss was slower (about .3 to .5 a week as opposed to 1 or 2 pounds), but I still lost. Instead of going back on the Metformin, I cut refined sugar and white flour out of my diet and the pounds fell off. I've plateaued again at .3 to .5 a week, but that's after losing 15 pounds in a little over a month and a little cheating.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Def Make the switch to extended release. It's worth it because it stablizes your blood sugars and helps your body process carbohydrates better. As for the effect on PCOS? It doesn't even touch mine! I'm starting to think I'll NEVER ovualte. I haven't tried clomid yet, because my fiance and I aren't TTC but when that day comes, I PRAY that something works!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I am on the extended release have been for about 6 months now (well suppose to be).

I pretty much cut all refined sugars (there are exception) and generally am around 90-130 carbs day which is low carb.

Naomi - I told my Endo I didn't feel like it was doing me any good and she said that even though it may not seem like it, it may be keeping me from being diabetic (my A1 was really good, not even prediabetic and she blames Metformin). So she wants me on it.
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    I don't have PCOS but was on Metformin for other reasons. I have taken both extended and the normal I found that my side effects weren't worht me taking it (they were so bad I couldn't leave me house without the fears of not finding a restroom fast enough) I finally did a bunch of research on more herbal meds and found and finally convinced my doc to let me take Cinnamon 1000mg 2x a day. Just a thought. It works so much better for me
  • kailyamie
    kailyamie Posts: 130
    Options
    I just saw my Doctor last week for my PCOS and here is what she told me:

PCOS exists on a spectrum. There is a lower end and a higher end. By definition, a diagnosis of PCOS is achieved by determining if someone's FSH and LH are imbalanced in such a way that the LH is twice as high or higher than the FSH. This will stop ovulation altogether. The other factor is elevated testosterone. The three of these are the trifecta in diagnosing PCOS. So fir example, in my bloodwork last week, my LH was just barely twice as high as my FSH and testosterone was slightly elevated. This is enough for a full PCOS diagnosis, HOWEVER, there are several other symptoms related to PCOS that not all PCOS'ers will have.... like ovarian cysts, and insulin resistance.

Having said that, the drug Metformin was originally created to treat patients with diabetes. It is an insulin regulating drug. SO it is given to PCOS'ers to control insulin levels. The problem is that NOT ALL PCOS'ers have insulin resistance. Bloodwork can determine glucose levels, risk of diabetes etc. and from that a doctor can determine if you are insulin resistant or not. If you ARE then Metformin can be a hugely helpful drug in controlling insulin levels - high insulin levels can contribute to low fertility. BUT if you are a PCOS'er who only has the hormonal imbalance, then Metformin can potentially not only be useless to you, but it can actually be counterproductive.

My blood work results showed that my blood sugar levels were fairly low (81 I believe) and that my risk of diabetes was very low as well, so my doctor felt confident that insulin resistance was not an issue that I was struggling with. I asked about Metformin and this is the explanation that she gave me. She said that Metformin is useless unless insulin resistance is an issue. For me she prescribed 10-day rounds of Prometrium monthly to help regulate the hormone levels. The other option is to try BCP's for a few months to see if they can be regulated through hormone therapy (remember, BCP's are not necessarily "birth control" while they function as that, they are actually hormone therapy treathemts!).

So if Metformin isn't working for you and the side effects don't seem worth it... call your Doctor and request a full blood screen.... have them test everything. Metabolic, hormone, etc. My Dr. did about 10 viles of blood. Ask to see the results and find out of you are in fact insulin resistant, because if all sings point to that you aren't - then your PCOS may merely be hormonal and can be more easily treated. Metformin is actually a harsh drug with horrible side effects. I thought I'd want it until I had a long talk with my wonderful doctor, and did some research myself.

Hope this helps others!!
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Yes I have gone without met. It was the same for me...I would work my *kitten* off trying to lose and would just stagnate. I recently got back on it again and the weight is coming off again...so for me... I definitely Need to be on it for now untill I get to a healthier weight.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS but I am not Insulin Resistant. Metformin did NOTHING for me. I was on 1000 MG 2x/day. I usually only took it once a day instead of 2x per day and my test results never changed. The doc mainly had me on Metformin to help with the hair and acne. I've been off of it for about a year and have just recently gotten off BC as well. It will be interesting to see what my new test results will show.

I do have to work out twice as hard and keep my diet pretty strict, but I'm losing weight. I stay away from refined sugars as much as possible and try to limit my complex carbs. I try to get most of my carbs from fruits and veggies. I just know that because of PCOS this has to be my lifestyle, if I want to remain healthy. The funny thing is, now that I'm working out so much and eating right, I have less acne and unwanted hair then when I was on Metformin & BC.

I may have to work my butt off (literally) to lose the weight, but I feel so much better now that I'm not taking all of the medications. No more crazy side effects. I have a dr appt next month...so we'll see how the test results come out.
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I stopped taking it. I was on 1500 mg per day and hated it. It messed up my gastrointestinal system (I'm sure you know what I mean).
    I lost 37 lbs last year without it so in my opinion and personal experience .. yes you CAN lose weight without it.
  • abbysmommy1
    abbysmommy1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm on Metformin for my PCOS too. It seems like for me, it's not really doing anything. I've actually gained a little more than half a pound this week even though I'm taking it and working my butt off... Plus, my cycles seem to have completely stopped since I've been taking it (Started May 12 - last period May 14th...) I'm now on cycle day 81, feeling awful and going crazy because I have constant PMS like symptoms (cramps, bloating, moodiness, etc...) ... Have any of you had this problem?
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I'm on Metformin for my PCOS too. It seems like for me, it's not really doing anything. I've actually gained a little more than half a pound this week even though I'm taking it and working my butt off... Plus, my cycles seem to have completely stopped since I've been taking it (Started May 12 - last period May 14th...) I'm now on cycle day 81, feeling awful and going crazy because I have constant PMS like symptoms (cramps, bloating, moodiness, etc...) ... Have any of you had this problem?

The Metformin never helped me get a cycle. If I wanted one I had to do Provera as well so for me it was pointless. That was before my weight loss though. After that I got cycles on my own.
  • abbysmommy1
    abbysmommy1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

The Metformin never helped me get a cycle. If I wanted one I had to do Provera as well so for me it was pointless. That was before my weight loss though. After that I got cycles on my own.

What is baffling to me is that even though my cycles were ridiculously long, I was still having them until I started the Metformin... Before, I was having one every 35-58 days, but the cycles were getting progressively longer even at that point.
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What is baffling to me is that even though my cycles were ridiculously long, I was still having them until I started the Metformin... Before, I was having one every 35-58 days, but the cycles were getting progressively longer even at that point.

Metformin didn't help my cycles either. I took Birth Control for my cycles (since I wasn't wanting to get pregnant)
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    The GP wouldnt give me Metformin so I bought some online! I took it for about 3 months and it changed my life. It regulated my cycle so that it became a 28 day cycle with mature eggs instead of 21 day and only releasing immature eggs.

It changed my life so much that last November we had ourselves a beautiful baby boy!! 12 yrs I had been infertile, 12 years.

And after 12 yrs of pcos and all the horrific symptoms, I had my bloods redone last month - all clear, and had my ovaries scanned - perfectly functioning normal ovaries.

The pcos seems to have gone away!!! I am once again normal and fertile. How can that happen?? (just the hair to get under control now)
  • tiabugg217
    tiabugg217 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm on the extended release. Only 1000mgs a day. Any higher of a dose and it upsets my stomach. The extended release only caused side effects for a few days. Now I have no side effects and I feel like it is aiding my weight loss.

Although a strict diet and exercise can also have the exact same effect for some people as metformin does. Just depends on how much excess inslulin you have and how careful you are with what you eat. For me, I must eat low glycemic index foods or lower carb foods in order to lost weight. If I even look at white rice or bread I gain 5lbs! : )