For all you indoor rowers....

Options
Concept2's Holiday Challenge starts this week (Nov 23rd) and runs until Christmas Eve. The goal is to row at least 100,000m in that time and Concept2 donates to a number of charities based on the total number of meters rowed (their donation per km doubles after you hit 100,000m, exceed 200,00m and they'll send you a Challenge pin)

Ski erg & bike erg meters are also eligible

https://log.concept2.com/challenges

Replies

• MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this link - I’m forwarding it to CrossFit box I’m a member of. They have a team section, and I’m sure we could get a couple teams together.

Didn’t see if you could combine meters on Ski/Rowers or if it had to be one machine only....Do you know?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    This is the link to the details of the challenge: https://log.concept2.com/challenges/holiday

You can combine indoor rowing with Ski and BikeErg but BikeErg miles only count 50% towards the total. It's not specifically mentioned, so apparently, SkiErg miles count 100% towards the challenge. If in doubt, contact Concept2.

I just started rowing regularly again in October and have already rowed 48k meters in November but I don't think I'm going to try to meet the challenge. Did a couple of challenges b4 but it was a struggle.

Don't like to be forced to row based on an arbitrary goal set by others. I prefer to row when it makes the most sense for me, based on my schedule and other activities.

Right now I row 2x3k meters/session for a total of 6k meters/day around 2-3x (or 12-18k meters) wk. Could meet the challenge in 5-8 weeks at that rate but that would be beyond the 4 week period of the challenge.

Don't want to have to row 5 days a week for 4 weeks just to meet the challenge. So, I'm out but more power to those of you who decide to do it.

• MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I might do this. It would be a great way to help Puerto Rico. I've never really rowed long distances, though. We usually just do rowing sprints at the gym. I do have a rowing machine at home, though.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    MilesAddie wrote: »
    Thanks for this link - I’m forwarding it to CrossFit box I’m a member of. They have a team section, and I’m sure we could get a couple teams together.

Didn’t see if you could combine meters on Ski/Rowers or if it had to be one machine only....Do you know?

It seems that way....

Indoor rower, SkiErg and BikeErg meters only (no on water/on snow meters please). You can combine meters from each machine to reach the challenge goal. Note: Note: BikeErg meters are counted as half when applied to the.....
  • MrsLannister
    Options
    The challenge page in my log actually says something different. It says .02 per km for the first 50k and .04 per km for every km after that. Am I mathing right? Does that work out to $7 for 200k?
  • sgt1372
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The challenge page that I posted above says 2 cents/km for 1st 100 km and 4 cents/km after that. So, that would be $6 for 200km
  • MrsLannister
    Options
    I have a feeling "Nik Rosenbladt" is not being fully honest with his logging. Lol. https://log.concept2.com/challenges/holiday/2018/honorboard/200
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Age 13 says it all.
  • BrianSharpe
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have a feeling "Nik Rosenbladt" is not being fully honest with his logging. Lol. https://log.concept2.com/challenges/holiday/2018/honorboard/200

Over 2,000,000 meters the first day, I'm impressed! B)B)

The admins over at C2 will have that deleted pretty quickly!
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    The challenge page that I posted above says 2 cents/km for 1st 100 km and 4 cents/km after that. So, that would be $6 for 200km

Doesn't sound like much for an individual rower but there are usually thousands of participants from around the world.
  • sgt1372
    edited November 2017
    Options

I would hope so.

Actually, one of the complaints expressed in the C2 forum is the fact that challenge results are NOT required to be verified and can be entered manually. Some rowers apparently refuse to participate in the challenges because of this.

Not a big deal to C2 when no $ (but just pride of a competitive rower) is at stake but I'm sure C2 will draw the line at having to make a $80k+ contribution based on such an obviously phony log entry.

However, even smaller "discrepancies" multiplied across "thousands" of participants could also add up to a lot of $.

So, I assume C2 has an algorthim to assess any extreme variance in challenge performance against a user's normally logged rowing #'s.

It would be financially foolish for C2 not to do so.
  • Nikitazilla
    Nikitazilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am not going to participate in the C2 challenge as don't really want log info on their website. But since seeing this thread I am feeling motivated to do it on my own. I have never rowed more that 26000 meters in a month (beginner here!) so I thought it would be a nice way to challenge myself to get moving. Started two days early and have 15,000 down so far. Feeling confident I can get to 100,000 by Christmas, 200,000 is out of reach for me though!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options

I would hope so.

Actually, one of the complaints expressed in the C2 forum is the fact that challenge results are NOT required to be verified and can be entered manually. Some rowers apparently refuse to participate in the challenges because of this.

Not a big deal to C2 when no $ (but just pride of a competitive rower) is at stake but I'm sure C2 will draw the line at having to make a $80k+ contribution based on such an obviously phony log entry.

However, even smaller "discrepancies" multiplied across "thousands" of participants could also add up to a lot of $.

So, I assume C2 has an algorthim to assess any extreme variance in challenge performance against a user's normally logged rowing #'s.

Yeah, I've seen some pretty questionable results in some of the challenges but I'm only competing against myself in most of them trying to go farther or faster than the previous year so I don't let them bother me.

I am not going to participate in the C2 challenge as don't really want log info on their website. But since seeing this thread I am feeling motivated to do it on my own. I have never rowed more that 26000 meters in a month (beginner here!) so I thought it would be a nice way to challenge myself to get moving. Started two days early and have 15,000 down so far. Feeling confident I can get to 100,000 by Christmas, 200,000 is out of reach for me though!

Your challenge, your goals! Good luck & I hope you keep rowing.... for me it's mostly a cross-training activity but I typically row more after the end of race season as a bit a change.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

I would hope so.

They've set a cap on the maximum dollars they'll donate ($40K), even if people row more than that. Given the sort of folks they are, I suspect their hope and desire is to donate pretty close to that total. In that context, I'd be surprised if they policed anything but truly egregious over-reports, but who knows.
  • sgt1372
    edited November 2017
    Options

I log all of my data online, mainly for my own benefit so that I can see how much I'm rowing (or not rowing, as the case may be).

Use to rank some of my rows but stopped doing that because I was always in the bottom 25%. Found out I'm slow and don't need any further reminder. LOL!

I'm automatically enrolled in the challenge because I log my data online, even though I'm not really trying to meet it.

However, I just decided to try to row a total of One Million Meters by the end of the current season at the end of April 2018. Only need to row 20k meters a week for the next 22 wks to achieve this goal.

Shouldn't have any problem doing that but rowing at that rate will not meet the current Holiday Challenge, which is fine w/me.

However, I have been rowing at about 24k meters/wk. So, there's an outside chance that I might meet the challenge w/o actually trying to do so.

We'll see . . .
  • Nikitazilla
    Nikitazilla Posts: 69 Member
    Options

I log all of my data online, mainly for my own benefit so that I can see how much I'm rowing (or not rowing, as the case may be).

Use to rank some of my rows but stopped doing that because I was always in the bottom 25%. Found out I'm slow and don't need any further reminder. LOL!

I'm automatically enrolled in the challenge because I log my data online, even though I'm not really trying to meet it.

However, I just decided to try to row a total of One Million Meters by the end of the current season at the end of April 2018. Only need to row 20k meters a week for the next 22 wks to achieve this goal.

Shouldn't have any problem doing that but rowing at that rate will not meet the current Holiday Challenge, which is fine w/me.

However, I have been rowing at about 24k meters/wk. So, there's an outside chance that I might meet the challenge w/o actually trying to do so.

We'll see . . .

I wasn't going to log online because I didn't want certain others to see my times, etc. but maybe that would only be the case if I participated in the ranking? Im slow. I'll have to check out the website a little more to see how it works. Loving the rowing though so far, makes me feel like bad *kitten* for thirty minutes instead of just a fat *kitten*!
  • sgt1372
    Options
    I may be mistaken but, except for cumulative challenge results or other honor board listings, I do not think anyone can see your C2 logbook or any of your log entries unless you elect to rank them.

I'm sure someone will correct this if I'm wrong.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    I may be mistaken but, except for cumulative challenge results or other honor board listings, I do not think anyone can see your C2 logbook or any of your log entries unless you elect to rank them.

I'm sure someone will correct this if I'm wrong.

Pretty much true. You can share your log with individuals on the site if you choose, also, through the training partners feature. I can't remember whether team members/captains can see more if you join a virtual team.

Besides, there is a profile setting that gives you control over whether you show up on honor boards/challenges. If you set that to not participate, I think your log is private, unless you choose to share it in the above ways.

But it's fun to participate in challenges. ;)
  • sgt1372
    Options
    Just checked and there is a privacy setting where you can elect to let everyone, logged in users, training partners or nobody to view your logbook. However, you can still check a box to allow your name and/or age to appear on honor boards for challenges.

This does NOT affect your ability to rank and see specific log entries. Just ranked/unranked and listing and it was still visible even though I set privacy to "nobody" and checked the allow name/age for the honor boards.

Speaking of which, how can 5 guys have already rowed 100k meters in just 1 day? I know there are some very avid rowers out there but that just seems physically impossible. At least the 2 million meter entry is gone. LOL!
  • MrsLannister
    Options
    They're all older. Maybe they are retired and have all day to row...
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    We're two days into the challenge, so 50K daily to be at 100K now. Looking at the profiles of the 5 people already on the honor board, appears that only one has reported fewer than 3 million meters so far this season (which started May 1).

Some people are just really, really into it. ;)