Cheat meal help

Options
merveozyalin
merveozyalin Posts: 46 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So last night I was out with my friends. I ended up eating 1073 calories more. ( my goal is 1230 and I had 2303 calories.) I feel so bad like my stomach is about to explode. I don't feel like eating anything. How am ı gonna make up for this 1073 calories? It was the day 6 of my journey. Was all week for nothing? Should I eat like 600 calories today?

Replies

• merveozyalin
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Y'ok...

So how bad was your day compared to what you were eating a week ago?!

You, yourself, used the word journey.

Journeys that track a straight path from start to finish would hardly qualify as such!

As long as your overall weekly or monthly caloric balance continues to be a deficit you will keep losing weight regardless of what happens on any single individual day.

It's my first week that's why I feel so bad about it. Whole week's deficit got wasted because of a one night.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Forget about it and get back on track today. Maybe some extra exercise time the rest of the week?
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Consider resetting your goal to lose 1 pound a week loss so you can consume more without feeling so deprived. You're in the early days of your journey and I'd say one day off the wagon was a learning experience, not a disaster. Keep going, you'll develop discipline soon.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Pretty much the only sure way to NOT get to your goal is to quit.

I will repeat here what I just wrote in another thread:

"So my unrelenting focus from day one was to pick "solutions" I think I can follow long term and which are "low barrier" for me to go back to whenever I slip.

Low barrier so that I do not have an excuse for waiting for TOMORROW to get back on track.

Anytime the words "I'll get back on track tomorrow" are uttered, the safe answer is "I am going to get back on track as of the next decision point I am faced with. i.e. right **kitten** now!"

And the less barriers there are to doing that, the more likely I am to follow through."

Look at your diet and exercise plan again and try to eliminate the barriers.

Your diet plan should not be "without a cheeseburger ever again".

Maybe it could be with an "open faced lean beef burger with some fresh grated parmesan instead of slabs of process cheese on top and mustard instead of mayo" saving 300 Calories. Maybe it should be with a buffalo burger that is lettuce wrapped saving over 500 calories. Maybe it should be with bacon wrapped roast pork tenderloin with a mushroom sauce instead of a burger.

Think of it as an opportunity to try different foods and to "save calories while still enjoying most of what you want" instead of "giving up" things.

You log. You review. Nothing is sacred. Nothing is off limits. You make choices and optimise.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you're getting 1230 for 1lb loss a week then it suggests you don't have a lot to lose relatively speaking. So you have a few choices here. Tough out 1230 gross and find yourself unable to moderate "cheats". Get more active, log that activity and eat some of those calories (which is how MFP is designed to work) which will achieve a net of 1230 but allow you to eat more. Aim for somewhere in the middle of 0.5-1lb per week (sorry for working in imperial!), you could have a few more calories, plus add in some activity and you will make it a lot easier on yourself.

If you slow your losses a bit and add in activity it will allow you to either eat more of the things you want every day or "bank" a few calories from each day during the week for more of a (controlled) splurge at the weekend. The key here is to find something that is sustainable so you can overall be consistent. Better to get there slower than to end up in a cycle of restrict/lose control and never get there at all.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like to keep my weekly numbers looking good. When I have a high day, which is rare and usually a special occasion, I even it out at least some the next day by eating lower calorie vegetables and low fat protein meals and reduce snacking. Plus I exercise and don't eat back those calories. I don't even notice the difference for a single day.
  • merveozyalin
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Pretty much the only sure way to NOT get to your goal is to quit.

I will repeat here what I just wrote in another thread:

"So my unrelenting focus from day one was to pick "solutions" I think I can follow long term and which are "low barrier" for me to go back to whenever I slip.

Low barrier so that I do not have an excuse for waiting for TOMORROW to get back on track.

Anytime the words "I'll get back on track tomorrow" are uttered, the safe answer is "I am going to get back on track as of the next decision point I am faced with. i.e. right **kitten** now!"

And the less barriers there are to doing that, the more likely I am to follow through."

Look at your diet and exercise plan again and try to eliminate the barriers.

Your diet plan should not be "without a cheeseburger ever again".

Maybe it could be with an "open faced lean beef burger with some fresh grated parmesan instead of slabs of process cheese on top and mustard instead of mayo" saving 300 Calories. Maybe it should be with a buffalo burger that is lettuce wrapped saving over 500 calories. Maybe it should be with bacon wrapped roast pork tenderloin with a mushroom sauce instead of a burger.

Think of it as an opportunity to try different foods and to "save calories while still enjoying most of what you want" instead of "giving up" things.

You log. You review. Nothing is sacred. Nothing is off limits. You make choices and optimise.

Thanks a lot!
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Do not beat yourself up over this and just get back to the healthy eating, weighing and logging you started. We are all human and not perfect. Thanksgiving was a blowout for me and I did not log anything and I know I probably ate like 4000 calories. I just started back to weighing and logging everything as i did before.