what to eat before and after a run

Options
hello :)

I've decided to take on running and follow the C25K. What and when should I eat before and after the run?

Thank you!

Replies

• Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I think you'll get as many different answers as you do people... but they'll all boil down to figuring out what works for you.

I often run first thing in the morning before breakfast. Then I just eat my normal breakfast, whatever it is that day. If I run in the afternoon I prefer to have a drink with a bit of something - a bit of soup, smoothie, or maybe a hot chocolate beforehand, then dinner after I've showered. I feel ill if I eat too much beforehand.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It varies by person. I eat a small breakfast, oatmeal, a glass of skim milk and coffee. Too much food and I'm uncomfortable running, but I need something in my stomach.

For after, if I've run on a weekend day, I have a brunch. Bacon and carbs. But that's cuz I love this on weekends. Weekdays I shower after my run and go to work. Might have a mid-morning snack.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I believe it will be what works for you. When I run in the morning, I run fasted. When I run in the afternoon or evening I can't have eaten 2 hours or more before. Just eat what you normally would, don't complicate things.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    C25K shouldn't have any special fueling needs, so I wouldn't adjust your diet for it.

That said, pay attention to how you feel. Some people prefer to run on an empty stomach or just with something like (like coffee, a piece of fruit, or some toast). Others find that more food doesn't bother them. Same with after-run snacks. I typically run before breakfast so I'm eating my first meal of the day right after the run. If it's another time of day, I find I don't need any kind of snack. But other people find that eating a light snack or meal after a run can help them avoid more hunger later in the day.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    As these people all said, for a 5K distance you won't have any special needs.

However, if you are new to running, a friendly [TMI] warning that it can cause gastrointestinal issues for some people when they first start running or increase distance. I personally would err on the side of eating as little a possible before your run and avoiding caffeine until you know if it's going to do anything like that to you. It sucks to get hit by GI distress when you're a couple miles from home and it's pretty common.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Decide when you are going to run. If first thing in the morning, experiment with running before breakfast (which is what I normally do if running no more than 10 miles). This is also something that usually gets easier as you try it, but working up to it with C25K should work. However, if you are someone who likes to eat really soon after you get up, it might not work, so try something with fast carbs and easy on the stomach (for you) -- I find a banana works great, and so does yogurt or even a glass of milk (back when I used to drink milk). But dairy is really easy for me to digest, obviously some would want to avoid it. If I have a bit more time before the run (up early before a half marathon, for example), I enjoy oats with some berries or the banana. Some find it easy to go out right away, some find -- and this is more for running than the walking bits -- that it can upset the stomach or make you feel sluggish to eat right before a run. I'd normally wait a while if eating a real breakfast, even something like a smoothie -- anything with more than about 100 cal.

If you run at some other time, usually your meals during the day are sufficient fuel. I eat lunch at noon and sometimes run home from work (about 6-7 miles) and will do that at 7 or after without eating first. Then I eat dinner when I get home. For the morning runs I have my normal breakfast after.
  • kiracookie
    kiracookie Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I run first thing in the morning and If I’ve had so much as a coffee before I run I get an incredibly bad stitch. I don’t eat after until lunch time unless I’m starving then I’ll just have a banana
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, I almost always have coffee before I run. It's my current morning routine. Up, some coffee and some water, run, breakfast!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    If you are starting C25K you won’t have to worry much. Fuelling your run becomes important when you get up to half marathon distances.

If you have a single serving carb about twenty minutes before your run you will have plenty.

Typically at 5K and 10K events there will be bananas and water at the finish line. At least around here.

In the UK you get water and chocolate bars :bigsmile:
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'm following c25k, too. It was my second day today. I eat whatever I want.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I run at the end of a 19-20 hr fast. I can't make it without eating something but I don't want an upset stomach either. I've found UCAN superstarch (modified cornstarch) will totally fuel me (about 50g of the stuff or 200kcal) and I can run a 1000kcal run no problem doing that even after fasting for 20-hrs. I've also been using regular cornstarch lately and I think it works just as good for a 1-hr run. If I was doing longer runs, the UCAN stuff might be better (slower release) but it costs about $2/25g whereas regular argo cornstarch costs about $.10/25g. Both of these things are used to treat people with glycogen storage disorders. Cornstarch is a slow release carb that lets people with GSD to sleep without going hypoglycemic and dying in their sleep. If I remember right, a 100g dose of the regular starch allows about 4-hrs of sleep without having to eat something and the medical version of UCAN (glucosade) lasts a couple more hours and they can sleep through the night. I've got numerous personal data points running fasted after a 19-hr fast with and without taking the starch and the difference for me is without, I will bonk after about 35-minutes of running (liver is low on glycogen, not the muscles and brain isn't getting enough and makes me slow down) and will slow down from about a 9:30min/mile pace to about a 12-min/mile pace. If I take the starch, I'm good at the 9:30min/mile pace for the whole hour (I'm old, 6'1, 195lbs and have only been back running for several months so cut me some slack on the slow pace). A tsp of coconut oil before running will also fuel me well but isn't as long lasting. Neither of those bother my stomach at all even if eaten 15-min before a run and even if eaten right before running hard like in a 5k race. If I eat regular food 4-hrs before I run, I usually will have stomach issues during a hard run. If you run in the mornings, you most likely won't need to eat anything before the run. If you do need something, eat 1-piece of plain toast 30-min before the run or try some of the cornstarch. If you run later in the day, again you will probably not need anything if your not fasting. If you are fasting, I would try the starch because it is very easy on the stomach.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Everyone is different. My wife likes to run on just a snack or something light. I prefer to run on a full stomach (right after my largest meal of the day, usually dinner). Its all about what works for you. After, I usually eat a protein bar.
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually have a banana if I run first thing in the morning, if I run in the evening I go an hour or so after I’ve had my dinner. X
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes so I always eat before a run (or any exercise) so my blood sugar doesn't drop too low - an egg on toast is my go-to about an hour before my run. Afterwards will depend on what my sugar levels are doing, whether I grab some fruit for a boost or have some lean protein if everything is stable.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Sorry but for those saying c25k doesn't require anything different or extra???? really?.

There is no physiological need to consume anything before or after. Before, it won't have been digested until several hours have elapsed. You're talking about c200-400 calories, so not really any need to compensate immediately afterwards, just build it into the daily intake.

If it's taking 90-120 minutes per session, then there might be some merit.

Fueling, and recovery, isn't necessary until HM distance, and for a conditioned runner not even then.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sorry but for those saying c25k doesn't require anything different or extra???? really?

some people will get side stitches if they eat before they run or walk.
    some people don't
    some get sick to their stomache
    some don't
    some need to go...go
    some don't

so to the OP...I did C25k...I found if I had a small serving of fruit or yogurt or even a slice of toast at least 60mins before my workout it was great...

I can't eat before a run...period...

find out what works for you really.

I mean, if someone finds personally that eating or not eating ends up in a better exercise session for them, they should implement that. But there are no special fueling needs for a C25K program (as opposed to say, more prolonged endurance exercise). That's all I meant by my comment in this thread.
  • Mrs181
    Mrs181 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. A lot of people run early in the morning fasted, it works for them.
    I've found that if I don't eat something, I get painful cramps. If my run is at 8am, I need to get up by 6am and eat something.
    If I run during the week, I run after work and I eat as normal both before and after.
    It'll take some experimenting, but you'll figure it out.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Sorry but for those saying c25k doesn't require anything different or extra???? really?

some people will get side stitches if they eat before they run or walk.
    some people don't
    some get sick to their stomache
    some don't
    some need to go...go
    some don't

so to the OP...I did C25k...I found if I had a small serving of fruit or yogurt or even a slice of toast at least 60mins before my workout it was great...

I can't eat before a run...period...

find out what works for you really.

People have all kinds of preferences. That doesn't change the fact that the Couch to 5k program doesn't impose any special or unique dietary needs on its followers. Really.