Did you lose weight after having Mirena taken out?

Options
Yes. Total 360 degree change in my body. I had first Mirena for 5 years when I was 43 after having 2 children. No side effects except no period and a little weight gain. At 48 had it replaced with a new one. I became a total mess. Still no period but over the course of a year continued to bloat and gain weight, i thought i was just getting older and changes in my body. What was worse was my mental condition, anxious, depressed, sad . I went from being ok and happy most of the time to totally depressed and not being able to function. I was having a terrible time with my job and thought I was just stressed and unhappy. What made it worse was I was so miserable that who i thought was the love of my life left me because i was such a psycho.
I could not get out of bed had no desire to do anything. Spent days crying. I went to therapy but just couldn't get over anything. I finally decided I needed to start routinely working out again and try to feel better. I also thought not 'getting' my period could contribute to my moodiness and physical changes. I found this blog and realized maybe the IUD was the source of some of my problems. After removal for only 2 weeks I feel completely 'normal' again (for the most part) I got my period instantly .The weight that was on my shoulders has been lifted . I am not walking around with a cloud over my head wondering what is wrong with me! I have started working out and I am sure the weight will come off.

Replies

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    No, I lost 47 pounds in two years with one in. No issues for me except the awesome side effect of not having to worry about periods or pregnancy.
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mine never affected my weight. I lost 30 lbs when I had one. It did give me terrible acne, so I had it removed.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 pounds and have a Mirena. I’m now on my second Mirena.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I had mine fitted on 11th sept, since then Iv lost just over 10lbs (could have been more if Id been tracking properly)

a bit gutted though atm as instead of stopping my periods it just put me in a perfect 28 day cycle although they are a bit lighter so hoping over time they will get lighter and lighter until they stop lol
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I can’t do any type of hormones because they make me a wreck. I do gain weight on them but am fully aware it is because I felt hungry and sad and wanted to eat my feelings away.
  • faithrainbow1
    faithrainbow1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I hoped for a little weight loss boost when I got mine removed, but no such luck.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I am 50. I have a mirena (this is my second one) and have lost 76 lbs this year. It never caused me to gain.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    No, I had mine removed in 2013 but continued to gain weight till 2015 when I started using MFP.

My migraines stopped when I had it removed, though.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I only had it 3 months because it was driving me nuts. But it didn't effect my weight either way.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 (no children) and I've lost 130 lbs over the course of two years with my first Mirena and am about to have it replaced next week. I noticed zero side effects.
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can lose weight on the mirena. Just make sure you weigh all your foods.

There's a big misconception that birth control magically makes people put on weight but It doesn't. It can make you hold onto water weight and it can cause that to fluctuate but it won't make you gain fat out of nowhere. Some have also been known to make you more hungry so you gain weight because you're eating more.

As for everything else you've mentioned, birth control side effects vary from person to person. It's always good to keep your GP up to date with what you're experiencing and if you're not happy with it, there's so many other choices out there. So it's good to see that you're feeling better without it. =)
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Mirena is only a localized effect. It has very little effect on your bodily hormone levels. It does create some inflammation though as part of its mechanism of action so maybe it was more of the inflammatory effect that you reacted to. If so, any IUD will not work for you. I lost 50 lbs between my first two kids with Mirena in and while breastfeeding. Now I'm fighting to lose weight after my third and I don't have a Mirena in but want one.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    There's another thread on this topic that goes for 17 pages... Search and you will find HEAPS of info and comments.
  • annemarie9221
    annemarie9221 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have posted this on another thread but I think my story might be helpful. I have had 3 consecutive Mirenas, about 12 years straight. I had absolutely no issues I identified with having it until this last couple of years. I have definitely put on weight in that time and I don't know if it's connected or not. The first 2 I had I remained very skinny and fit. This last one has coincided with back pain, joint pain, unprecedented weight gain, very sore and swollen breasts (when I was younger I would have paid good money for the swollen part), and significant abdominal cramping (identified in hospital as kidney stones except there were no stones). I cannot unequivocally say it's because of the IUD but I have just had it removed so we'll see if anything changes. I wonder if my body reacts different because I am older (46 years old), or I have used it for so long, or maybe my issues are related to something else entirely. I have had full bloods and I according to those results I am super healthy. I will post again with anything new to report.