How do you guys bounce back from a Thanksgiving binge?

Options
eardabac18
eardabac18 Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Advice on getting back to normal eating? How much did you guys eat? I can’t help beating myself up... replies appreciated! The scale is still up 2 pounds for me since the holiday, and to be honest I’ve been slacking with my eating habits for the last week and a half! :(

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Don't get too worried about one day, but you can't do it everyday. You will bounce back if you keep to your numbers on a regular basis. I went over about 400 calories, which I expected, and so ate wholesome, light foods yesterday, added some exercise, and logged in under 400 calories which is something I rarely do. I was so full from Thursday I didn't feel hungry all day Friday. I weighed today and dropped another pound after no loss for 2 weeks, so I feel great. Now we have a full month of gatherings to get through sensibly.
  • moxleymama6
    moxleymama6 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    5 miles of hiking yesterday with my daughters and circuit training this morning. I have Thanksgiving round 2 today!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    azironasun wrote: »
    I figure that I consumed over 3500 calories on Thursday, Thanksgiving day. I planned for it, accepted it and enjoyed myself. On Friday, I went back to my regular weight loss program. I know that if I stick with my program, any temporary weight gained at Thanksgiving will come off.

This - plus my regular Friday night workout - Thanksgiving is one day not a four day weekend. And I didn’t weigh myself Friday - probably won’t until Sunday morning.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I didn´t cook (went to someone else´s home) so I have no leftovers to deal with or any issues with going back to my deficit eating. If you have leftovers to deal with maybe freeze some of them in correct sized portions for your deficit, and also partition out those that you plan to eat in the next day or so into appropriate sizes for your deficit. I definitely would freeze right away any desserts.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    eardabac18 wrote: »
    Advice on getting back to normal eating? How much did you guys eat? I can’t help beating myself up... replies appreciated! The scale is still up 2 pounds for me since the holiday, and to be honest I’ve been slacking with my eating habits for the last week and a half! :(

I guess it starts with "don't binge". But having already done it, you just simply get back to your regular routine and it should soon settle down. Perhaps try to increase exercise activity a little bit to burn some off.
  • evilpoptart63
    evilpoptart63 Posts: 397 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I personally ate whatever I wanted on thanksgiving...way less than previous years because my stomach doesn't hold as much...but would still consider it a binge day. I dont know about you, but I felt like absolute crap: nauseous, bloated, lethargic and actually felt greasy for some reason. It was a great day but I couldn't wait to get back to normal eating. Turkey is the only leftover Im going to be eating. The day is done and you can't do anything about it except enjoy the memory. If you had the same crappy feeling though after you ate, it helps to think about that when your tempted to reach for the leftovers :) Its a once a year occasion, there is no point in feeling guilty or trying to make up for it, just try to jump back into normal eating and let it be a one day binge instead of a week of leftover indulgence!
  • mgtz69
    mgtz69 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I kept my exercise routine going - at least a 30 minute run each day. I've had two really bad eating days - Thanksgiving dinner then 2nd Thanksgiving dinner. Today I'm on my version of detox (healthy eating lower calories) - yogurt with granola and cranberry, butternut squash soup, salad and turkey mushroom spinach risotto. No alchohol. No pie. Weighing in daily - fluctuating only 1/2 pound over the past few days. Not going to make holiday meals my thing again. Keep them special and I'll enjoy them more.
  • guacamolito
    guacamolito Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was up about 3 to 4 lbs but working out and watching and logging my intake and i am going to be back to pre Thanksgiving weight in 4 days.
  • TheHawk007
    TheHawk007 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    It's just one day. The guilt shouldn't last that long. But, I'm sure damn few exercised since there was family, lots of food...........I made sure to exercise even more on Black Friday, and make today a lighter workout
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    If gained in just a couple of days, it is mostly just food weight. Get back to your diet and you will be back where you were within a few days or close to it. I do a 20:4 IF diet. I can gain 3--lbs easily on a splurge day but it will all be gone two to three days back on the diet.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I went over my calorie allotment while in deficit, but I estimate I was at maintenance or a bit over. I ate more than I would for dinner and I felt ´full´ but I did not feel bloated or overstuffed. I didn´t eat dessert so that probably had a lot to do with it. You can pack on 500 calories alone with a piece of pie or cake.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    amyepdx wrote: »
    azironasun wrote: »
    I figure that I consumed over 3500 calories on Thursday, Thanksgiving day. I planned for it, accepted it and enjoyed myself. On Friday, I went back to my regular weight loss program. I know that if I stick with my program, any temporary weight gained at Thanksgiving will come off.

This - plus my regular Friday night workout - Thanksgiving is one day not a four day weekend. And I didn’t weigh myself Friday - probably won’t until Sunday morning.

I totally forgot the 4 mile run/walk Thanksgiving morning to start the day!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm back to normal eating today pretty much. I weigh in on Sunday.
    I put some leftovers in the freezer and threw the rest away last night.
    I walked a bit more yesterday.