Exercise...or lack there of

Options
Hello all, I've been on a high protein eating plan since June and have lost 51 lbs. I am not exercising and I absolutely have to start. So hard for me to motivate myself to workout. I have a gym membership and I bought 3 kettlebells. No excuse! I need motivating advice. I need to hold myself accountable. My body is getting flabby and Lord knows that's not pretty!

Replies

• pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    You say you have lost 51lbs then say your getting flabby???

Today was another example, i really did not want to go to the gym, but I made myself go. I was there 2 hours and did strength training on my legs and 1 hour of cardio. Even though i did not feel like going in the end I was very glad i did and I felt great.

If you have a gym membership then why buy kettle bells. your gym should have the things you need to be able to workout I hope.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You either workout or you don't. It's 100% on you...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My motivations:
    Primarily I like living in a fit, strong, healthy body. It just makes me feel good.

I'm 57 and from a family that doesn't tend to have healthy and long old age so I regard my exercise as an investment in having as many good years as possible.

I actively enjoy the majority of my exercise (outdoor cycling and weight training mostly). My commitment to my training goals means the times it's not so much fun (indoor bike training for example) I still do it.

My food allowance would feel very restricted if I was sedentary.

Do agree with the others that motivation just gets you started and it's commitment that keeps you going.
    The food intake side you clearly have demonstrated you have the determination - you were motivated to start and you must be committed to have lost 51lbs.
    Now apply the same determination to the fitness side.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I find that having a challenge helps. This year I set out to burn 300,000 calories on the bicycle. I reached that goal and could slack off, but I realized that I had been riding over 600 miles each month, so I decided to do that for a whole year. Between vacation, Thanksgiving, and a funeral, reaching 600 this month has been difficult, but because of my goal I'm putting in longer workouts that I would normally skip.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 1,989 Member
    Options
    For me, it's doing something I love (which is stand up paddleboarding)...even then it can be hard to get motivated to get myself out the door, so those days I just have to do it (today was one of those days). Also since I'm rather lazy by nature, I sign up for races to give me a goal which requires me to stay fit/train, and that often motivates me to get out there and train even when I don't personally feel like it. I'm the queen of excuses, so having goals is key to keep me active.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    twisting my own arm up behind my own back with 'have to' just doesn't work in my case. maybe i'm just too odl to want to waste any time trying to bully myself, or maybe i'm too old to fall for it anymore :tongue:

kettlebells are pretty darned cool. and feeling strong is pretty darned cool. that's a reason in itself to do things, but it gets easier once you start doing them. what i found was i keep lifting because i like the physical sensations of doing it. and any strength that i've gained is universal - it's available even in regular life.

but only lifting really gives me those sensations you get from lifting. so it creates its own momentum once you start doing it.
  • Sweet_Intensity
    Sweet_Intensity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    First off, congrats on the weight loss. I stopped exercising for about 5 months and gained a large amount if weight (poor eating habits contributed as well). The thing I realized I missed most about the exercise is that it allows me to move and function when I go about normal daily tasks. Without exercise, I became stiff, sore, my arthritis became much worse and I lost the ability to really be active. I missed out on the hike my family went on this thanksgiving, because I wasn't in good enough shape to manage it. 6 months ago I would have been fine joining in. My goal is not just a weight goal, it is a fitness goal so I don't miss out on future fun activities.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with one of the trainers at your gym, if you haven't already, to show you how to use the equipment. Write on your calendar three days/times per week that you will go to your gym. Put your gym clothes and shoes on, get in your car, and go. Do this for two weeks. See how disciplined you've become? This will become a source of pride for you as you learn to be consistent. And by the way, what a great job you've done with the weight loss! WOW!!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. You mention in your profile that God gave you the gift of life. He also gave you the gift of movement.

272deepp8ta0.png

Best of luck