How do I cook delicious, non-breaded, unsauced shrimp?

Options
imanibelle
imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
So I had shrimp at the Chinese buffet. It wasn't breaded shrimp, popcorn shrimp, or shrimp with any kind of glaze or any sauce that I could see. It wasn't coconut shrimp. But ot was awesome. Would anyone know how to prepare shrimp in that way or have any suggestions?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in a frying pan with some butter and garlic.
  • GiliWmn
    GiliWmn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Old Bay seasoning but steam it.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Coming from a Chinese restaurant hard to know what it was marinated/grilled in. Could be garlic, ginger, hot sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil...I use all kinds of things to marinate in before I grill or actually stir fry shrimp in my wok. I used to use butter and garlic a lot, but now usually just season the wok and use a small portion of sesame oil for flavor if I'm going for Asian cuisine. Do some googles for Chinese marinated grilled shrimp and find one similar. It does sound good!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

I doubt they used Old Bay on a Chinese buffet. Probably just steamed or stir-fried with a little salt and garlic.

OP, congratulations, you've discovered you like shrimp, not breading or cocktail sauce.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Grilled?
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    I would say find a spice you like and just cook it together and enjoy
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Grilled?

Grilled/bbq prawns are delicious. Stir fried is nice too.
  • deekayg
    deekayg Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My favorite is marinated in a little olive oil with Italian seasoning and fresh lime juice, then sauteed or grilled.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I normally just sautee it. I use it in stir fries (will sautee a bunch of veg too and add to rice) or in a pasta dish (pretty similar except somewhat different ingredients and on pasta). I can't say how to make a dish like the Chinese one, but maybe google around for ideas.
  • barbp7
    barbp7 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Grilled with spicy seasonings, seasoned salt, garlic powder, cayenne powder.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in a frying pan with some butter and garlic.

Yup!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Plain prawns (shrimp) are often sold from the fishmonger green (raw) or cooked. The cooked ones are generally boiled - not for long - in sea salt water.

You could try making these at home, or just buy them cooked. Buying cooked from the fish shop (or sometimes here in Qld, Australia straight off the trawler).

Great plain or in whatever dipping sauce you prefer.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This isn't new. I think it's what barbp7 meant. Anyway, it's what I meant. Very very simple:
    • Heat pan enough to bounce water drops.
    • Add a little oil, then garlic, maybe shallots.
    • Add some shrimp, not too many. Wait a minute.
    • Toss, practice beforehand, it impresses girls.
    • Remove from heat when red. Built-in doneness alert. How simple does it get.
  • SharonTeresa91
    SharonTeresa91 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I pan fry mine with oil spray(best way to cut on oil calories) with chilli flakes and pepper. They’re delicious!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It never even occurred to me to bread shrimp until I moved to the US. I used to eat mine cold straight out of the shell (cooked, obviously).
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Main thing with shrimp is don't overcook them or they'll have the consistency of rubber. Cooking them with the shell on gives a juicier result Most shrimp these days come deveined (to remove the digestive tract), but it's easy enough to do yourself.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Chinese-American here: I'm vaguely familiar with this technique but never personally done it because my parents didn't actually teach me to cook ... the way shrimp in Chinese food retain that bouncy texture after cooking is that they are first marinated in a corn starch and water solution for like ten minutes. Then, of course, don't overcook them. You may not have a wok and the super high heat that wok food is normally done on (meaning fast cooking without too much chance for things turning rubbery), but the corn starch thing will help anyway.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @cherchezlafemme13 undoubtedly has the best recipe for this. I've made it myself on several occasions but she would be the best source. Reach out to her.