Are McDonalds still as bad as they used to be?

Options
Hi all,

Recently McDonald's menu has improved in my own opinion. Yes the quality of the meat used and the processes to manufacture the meat into nuggets or other items may not be the best but in terms of ingredients used I personally don't think they are too dissimilar from Nuggets or chicken burgers you would buy from a supermarket.

I like the wraps they do now but the wraps used seem to be made from lots of ingredients which I find frustrating. Same goes for any bread product McDonalds use.

Of course one issue I still have is that they fry the majority of their food - but even so the temperature they fry the food at should be below the smoke point thus reducing carcinogens?

In France, Netherlands and the UK - The trans fats in the cooking oil used reduced by 94% from 1994 to 2007. Now there are none.

Still, they sell the Milkshakes with ridiculous levels of sugar and the ice creams (which as a treat are nice) but still not great.

Would much rather visit a Starbucks, Costa or any other cafe across the road or nearby and spend the extra few pounds on a nice warm toasties or well filled baguette!

What does everyone else think on McDonalds?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love the improvements to the egg mcmuffin. Actually, i didnt eat the for 20 years until recently...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I don't have any strong feelings about McDonald's, I go about once a year... though thinking about it I dont think I have actually been this year...

I like a big mac though!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The "Hello Healthy" blog of mfp recently included McDonald's breakfast sausage with egg biscuit sandwich as a suitable high-protein quick meal. The mass-market providers, all of them, have a keen interest in keeping customers happy and alive. There's nothing in there to kill you and much in there to make you happy.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    I usually get the Artisan Chicken sandwich, no fries. It's still a lot of calories, but not as many as say a Big Mac. I actually hadn't had a Big Mac for about a year and broke down and ordered one a few weeks ago. It was horrible, so tasteless. I can't imagine how I used to like those things.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i used to get a steak bagel meal with a medium oj and a breakfast burrito without even thinking about it. for about 1200 calories or so. Now im happy with an egg white delight and a fruit parfait. I miss the steak but i know if i really wanted it i would get it.. Hubby still gets a big breakfast with hotcakes thats like 1350 i dont feel so bad after that. lol But if we go at night i get a grilled chicken on a regular bun ( i dont like the artisan bun anyway)it saves me like 100 calories or so and i steal hubbys fries :)
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I agree with OP that there are more options that are healthier nowadays. A good treat, on a rare occasion! P.S. Have you all enjoyed Jim gaffigan's stand up bit on McDonald's? Some very funny stuff!!!!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I love McDonald's breakfasts. My usual is a black coffee, a sausage McGriddle, and a hash brown. That said, I only eat there maybe a 10 times a year. I also love their chicken nuggets with sweet and sour sauce. I don't remember what their burgers taste like. I go to Culver's for butter burgers and they have excellent frozen custard.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I decided I didn't care for the food years ago and go to one maybe every two to three years (always on a road trip. My dad and I stopped at one in 2016 while driving out of town to a half marathon (it was the following day) and I had a filet o fish and small fries (this is my preferred combo since I scrape off the tartar sauce and use it on the fries). It was exactly as I remembered. My dad wanted to go there since he wanted a milkshake (which is not something he normally eats, but I think he had the "road trip food" thing going on too).

Since I almost never go there I have not researched the nutrition or whatever their new menu options are. If I want fast food there are salad places or Pret closer and more convenient to my office and they tend to have more options I'm likely to want to eat. This is not a slam about making McD fit occasionally in your diet if that appeals to you, it's just not something that does to me.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like it sometimes. It sells mostly "sometime foods", not unlike pecan pie or homemade cheddar biscuits. It has never been a famous for high nutrient density foods and that's not why people eat there. I'm pretty neutral towards it and I don't really care if they introduce lower calorie options or not, because I'm going to order the big mac or the swiss angus anyway. I eat the food there for what it is: fast greasy salty food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't really think it is better or worse than any restaurant serving similar foods.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have never been a burger person, to be honest. The only burgers I have had of late were one at a small, local breakfast/diner style place that uses really high quality, thick, 100% beef and a Uk Restaurant called Bills, that does this amazing lamb burger... I was curious and wanted to try it. My 'fast' food of choice is Pizza, and that has to be the proper, thin stretched Italian style with lots of toppings.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    The only thing I buy at McD's is black coffee because it only costs $1 for any size.

• slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    All day breakfast is amazing. Even at 1200 calories a day, I can fit an egg white delight, hashbrown and coffee with cream in almost anytime.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to McD's in a couple of years. I liked their Homestyle burger, but not much else.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I love McDonalds. Tea.
  • LZMiner
    LZMiner Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love McDonalds. Love their chicken tenders....hope they keep them on the menu! My go-to is their southwest salad.
  • Jancandoit7
    Jancandoit7 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't eat fast food in general- makes me feel sick after ingesting, but I must admit to liking their french fries when they're hot. Not much else there interests me-