Protein Intake

Options
Every day I am over (and sometimes way over) my protein intake.

I have a problem getting hungry all the time, and I dont mean bored hungry I mean painful grumbling hungry. I was told that eating protein would keep me full for longer but at the rate Im going (and still getting grumbles an hour before lunch) Im not sure how Im supposed to keep my protein intake down AND stay full. To be honest Im not even sure where all this protein is coming from or how any normal person can stay under it...

Replies

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Open up your food diary, maybe you just need to change the types of foods you are eating.
  • joanieizme
    joanieizme Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Another thing you can try to stay full is fiber. High fiber foods will keep you fuller, longer. I find that a handful of almonds curbs my hunger for a couple of hours. Eat them with a bottle of water :)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Going over on protein isn't bad, AND MFP massively underestimates protein intake.

I also second the adding more fiber!
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I always eat more protein. I just changed my proportions and it works much better for me.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The default level on MFP is very low. It's unlikely you're getting too much protein - it's better to look at that one as a minimum to achieve rather than a max.

You can always change the %s using custom settings. But 100g a day is a good target. Protein is very important especially if you are doing any strength training/ muscle building.
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Do you set your own goals or have MFP set them for you automatically?

I find when the program was "auto generated" I was always over on protein...but that was my aim...protein is good and my partner is always encouraging me to eat more of it.

I've re-adjusted my goals to 35 protein/25 fat/40 carbs and it seems to be much better for me.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Going over on protein isn't bad, AND MFP massively underestimates protein intake.

I also second the adding more fiber!

I agree. You can adjust your protein % as what MFP defaults to is low.... particularly if you are working out alot.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    The default level on MFP is very low. It's unlikely you're getting too much protein - it's better to look at that one as a minimum to achieve rather than a max.

You can always change the %s using custom settings. But 100g a day is a good target. Protein is very important especially if you are doing any strength training/ muscle building.

This. I changed my macros to 30/30/40 (fat/protein/carbs). I am supposed to get 120-200 g protein daily depending on my exercise. I'm sure you're fine, keep up the protein, and definitely make sure you're getting fiber to fill you up as well!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    The protein and fiber amounts are minimums while the other nutrient info is max.
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    The protein and fiber amounts are minimums while the other nutrient info is max.

That's interesting to know.

I set my own goal for protein as well, and fibre.

Saying that I couldn't reach my protein level "minimum" and stay in my calorie goals without resorting to a protein shake. I am working out every day though.
  • cassnessxox
    Options
    Its just so disheartening when everything else is green and happy and my protein is red and angry! lol
    I found that eating eggs for breakfast helped but when eating a chicken wrap for lunch and a steak for dinner sent my protein over I thought eggs would be really bad.
    I did have the goals set automatically, Im not really knowledgeable at all about all this calorie and nutrition stuff so I wouldnt have a clue what I should and should not be eating.

Also, whats good fibre? I thought porridge would fill me up but it doesnt work =/
  • runninglol
    runninglol Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat 5 or 6 small meals throught the day. I find this helps with any hunger issues. Just take whatever your calories are for the day and divide them up. I'll have an egg and an egg white with cheese on wheat toast at about 6:30am then at about 9:30 or 10 I have a piece of fruit and yogurt or a few Tablspoons of peanut butter over celery. I eat lunch at noon, usually my leftovers from dinner the night before. My afternoon snack is at 3 and that is usually fruit or a Larabar or even those 100 calorie popcorn packs since it's high volume and takes a long time to eat. Dinner I usually have chicken, pork or turkey with veggies prepared different ways. I make Turkey Meatloaf Muffins, Whole What Pasta with Mushrooms and Zuchini in a jar of Organic Sauce, Steamed Broccoli, Steamed Asparagus...lots of veggies at night with a protein of some kind. And yes, MFP is low on the protein. If you are strength training at all (which you should be!) the protein will keep your muscles happy and keep your body burning fat instead of muscle. I try to do at least 100 grams a day!

I've learned a lot from boldybuilding.com. Even though I'm not a body builder, they have amazing nutrition information on there.

As far as fiber, eat some fruits or veggies!