Quitting Coffee (but not caffeine!)

Options
Hi! This may sound weird, so I wanted to share and hear your thoughts. I am quitting drinking coffee, but I’m not quitting caffeine. Two main reasons:
• Coffee drinks are a big calorie source for me.
• Coffee is ruining my teeth!

A friend recommended these chocolate supplements from Whole Foods called “Good Day Chocolate”. They’re like m&ms, but with caffeine, green tea, and vitamins. I’ve only been trying this for like two weeks, but I actually kind of like just popping a couple of chocolates instead of dealing with the mess of a thermos of coffee.

**Thoughts? Other ideas? I need the energy, but just can’t keep drinking the good stuff!!**

Replies

• sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I stopped with coffee too because I get heartburn. Now I usually drop a couple caffeine pills in with my BCAAs.
  • klowieislyfe1
    klowieislyfe1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I guzzle coffee especially if I'm on a work shift and I like a ton of half and half so it can end up tacking on a few hundred calories. I've been trying to let myself have 1-2 good coffees to get the day started and replace the rest of them with tea (which I don't like nearly as much :-/). I may look into those supplements you mentioned, that sounds kind of interesting.
  • Luxduca
    Luxduca Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Espresso shots so you don’t have to deal with the thermos thing. It won’t ruinnyour teeth. Fast and sooo good.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    There's certainly no reason you need to drink coffee if it's causing problems. I'm intrigued by the chocolate. I don't see why it wouldn't be ok if it accomplishes your goals. Maybe the only challenge I can see is if you get carried away eating the chocolate and overdo it on the caffeine. That's not a thing for a lot of people but would definitely be a challenge for me.

I love that you're looking for creative solutions and not just dropping foods you enjoy for random nonsense reasons.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    You might try green or white teas. I don't drink caffeine regularly myself (only decaf for coffee) but occasionally I'll have a green or white tea. Also mate or guarana teas have natural caffeine. Some of those Vitamin waters and other energy drinks contain mate or guarana, and perhaps with zero calories. Unsweetened iced teas (black or green).

Bai sparkling waters have a little caffeine and no calories. Once in a while I will drink one if I need a boost.
  • Christen850
    Christen850 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

If you do, please report back and let me know! You sound like me. I can drink tons of coffee every day… I thought it would be harder for me to quit, but as long as I’m getting at least some caffeine somehow, it hasn’t been that bad.
    I guzzle coffee especially if I'm on a work shift and I like a ton of half and half so it can end up tacking on a few hundred calories. I've been trying to let myself have 1-2 good coffees to get the day started and replace the rest of them with tea (which I don't like nearly as much :-/). I may look into those supplements you mentioned, that sounds kind of interesting.

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I switched to tea. English Breakfast is pretty robust and about as good a coffee substitute as I have found. I drink it without added sugar.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,718 Member
    Options
    Some of the Mio water "enhancers" have caffeine in them. I find I drink more water if the water has some flavor.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I quit coffee due to acid reflux (I may miss it the rest of my life,). Nowadays I have black tea or a no calorie energy drink.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I did this about 10 months ago, for teeth issues, because I like coffee loaded with sugar, and I was having problems falling asleep. I switched to tea. I went to chai tea first because it's got a strong flavor. Now I usually have green tea. I get tea assortments so I get to try new flavors all the time and I'm really enjoying it. I'm sleeping better, too. There's still caffeine, but not as much.

Tea is acidic, too, though not as much as coffee. I'm drinking water after my tea to help with that, which my dentist recommended.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,604 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I tend to have my coffee in the morning, because I enjoy that. Lately I've been exhausted and stressed because of work, and was drinking WAY too much coffee just to make it through the day.

A friend of mine introduced me to yerba mate. It's a tea she drinks. It's a bit strong, but you get used to it, and it's got a pretty good shot of caffeine, plus you don't tend to crash afterwards. It's also apparently got a pretty strong list of positive health impacts.

Maybe it's worth looking in to.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Caffeine pills taken with water