Midlife women who have lost significant weight?

Options
Every day I deal with doubt that at my age and with being pre-diabetic that I can really lose and keep off the weight. I'm 54 and I have over 100 pounds to lose. I was never overweight until I started having kids many years ago and didn't get obese until the last decade or so as I went through perimenopause and now am post-menopause. It's been like an out of body experience.

Are there other midlife women here who have had success losing significant weight in their 50's? What kind of eating plan did you follow, etc.? How long did it take?

Thanks for your help.

Replies

• keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy, my name is Cindy. I'm not yet 50 but it won't be long until I'm knocking on it's door. I'm 44 and have lost nearly 90 pounds since January. It can be done with lots of hard work. Stick with MFP, keep track of your calories and exercise.
  • unhinge
    unhinge Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and have "dieted" all my life it seems... been there done that. I have lost 28.6 pounds eating healthy food to fuel my body. Working out 5-6 times a week to build muscle and tone. I started in March right after I turned 55 and sprained my ankle 6 weeks ago (this slowed me down but I continued to loose). If I can do this ~ you can do this!

Sending friend request.
  • PattyLinthicum
    Options
    Hi Cindy!
    I'm also a "midlife" woman with about 75-80 pounds I need/want to loose. I am sure I could lose more but I will be happy with that weight loss. Before finding MYFITNESSPAL I was struggling to lose weight but have been on this for about a month and half and have lost 10 pounds since. I realize that it is going to be a slow process and that is frustrating at times because I want immediate results and I want to be able to fit into regular sized clothing again and not have to shop in the plus sizes.

I am just following the guidelines set by MYFITNESSPAL with regards to my daily caloric intake, fat grams, protein, etc and that is working. What this has done for me is helped me to see that my old eating habits were keeping me from losing weight and actually increasing my weight slowly but surely. I now look carefully at what I eat and make better choices.

the other thing that really helps is if I do some exercise at least 3 times a week. This is a challenge for me but, again, seeing the slow results on here is encouraging and keeps me accountable.

Cindy, I wish you the best of luck. Keep your chin up and take it a day at a time!

Patty
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Cindy,

I'm 46, will be 47 in November, I hit perimenopause at about 32 and I am currently dealing with menopause. I started my journey to change how I eat and to exercise in Dec. 2010 as of Sunday I have lost 53 pounds.

How I started: I added Shakeology to my daily diet, it's all natural has 70+ ingredients it has helped with cravings, helped keep me full, and helped with irregularity. It's also low on the glycemic index. I also started working out on a regular basis (and yes I have fallen off the exercise band wagon a few times) I also have tried, not always successful, to eat as clean as possible. Meaning if grandma couldn't grow it I shouldn't eat it. I also eat 6 times a day and drink a ton of water.

So yes it can be done, it takes time and dedication, and I'd be happy to help you anyway I can.

Beverly
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi Cindy, my name is Cindy. I'm not yet 50 but it won't be long until I'm knocking on it's door. I'm 44 and have lost nearly 90 pounds since January. It can be done with lots of hard work. Stick with MFP, keep track of your calories and exercise.

That's inspiring that you've lost so much since January. I'm sending you a friend request so I can see how you do it! lol
  • momcindy
    Options
    Cindy,

I'm 46, will be 47 in November, I hit perimenopause at about 32 and I am currently dealing with menopause. I started my journey to change how I eat and to exercise in Dec. 2010 as of Sunday I have lost 53 pounds.

How I started: I added Shakeology to my daily diet, it's all natural has 70+ ingredients it has helped with cravings, helped keep me full, and helped with irregularity. It's also low on the glycemic index. I also started working out on a regular basis (and yes I have fallen off the exercise band wagon a few times) I also have tried, not always successful, to eat as clean as possible. Meaning if grandma couldn't grow it I shouldn't eat it. I also eat 6 times a day and drink a ton of water.

So yes it can be done, it takes time and dedication, and I'd be happy to help you anyway I can.

Beverly

I'm also trying to eat more "clean" just for the health of it if nothing else. It just makes sense to eat food as close to it's natural state as possible.

I've never heard of Shakeology. Is it a meal replacement shake?

I'm sending a friend request so I can keep in touch if I have more questions.
  • momcindy
    Options
    Hi Cindy!
    I'm also a "midlife" woman with about 75-80 pounds I need/want to loose. I am sure I could lose more but I will be happy with that weight loss. Before finding MYFITNESSPAL I was struggling to lose weight but have been on this for about a month and half and have lost 10 pounds since. I realize that it is going to be a slow process and that is frustrating at times because I want immediate results and I want to be able to fit into regular sized clothing again and not have to shop in the plus sizes.

I am just following the guidelines set by MYFITNESSPAL with regards to my daily caloric intake, fat grams, protein, etc and that is working. What this has done for me is helped me to see that my old eating habits were keeping me from losing weight and actually increasing my weight slowly but surely. I now look carefully at what I eat and make better choices.

the other thing that really helps is if I do some exercise at least 3 times a week. This is a challenge for me but, again, seeing the slow results on here is encouraging and keeps me accountable.

Cindy, I wish you the best of luck. Keep your chin up and take it a day at a time!

Patty

Exercise is a challenge for me too but I'm trying to make it a part of my daily discipline, even if it is only for 10 minutes at a time as I build up muscle and endurance. I am so out of shape, it's pathetic!
  • carriebonner
    Options
    Hi Cindy...

I just turned 51 last week and like you I also have about 100 lbs to lose. My Fitmess Pal has been a Godsend to me !! It realy is helping me to stay on track and watch what I eat and how much !! I have lost I think 8 lbs in the last 3 weeks, and I am not going to stop til I reach my goal :) If I can do it , you can do it...I have to up my excercise routine and I know that will help also.. friend me and we can be "buddies" Hang in there and keep up the good work :)
  • momcindy
    Options
    Hi Cindy...

I just turned 51 last week and like you I also have about 100 lbs to lose. My Fitmess Pal has been a Godsend to me !! It realy is helping me to stay on track and watch what I eat and how much !! I have lost I think 8 lbs in the last 3 weeks, and I am not going to stop til I reach my goal :) If I can do it , you can do it...I have to up my excercise routine and I know that will help also.. friend me and we can be "buddies" Hang in there and keep up the good work :)

I've only been at this website for 10 days but just doing the food journal has at least helped me see where I need to make changes. I'm still tweaking the calories and nutrient ratios so I can be more low-carb, but it helps to see it in black and white.

I'll send a friend request!
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    Cindy,

Beverly

I'm also trying to eat more "clean" just for the health of it if nothing else. It just makes sense to eat food as close to it's natural state as possible.

I've never heard of Shakeology. Is it a meal replacement shake?

I'm sending a friend request so I can keep in touch if I have more questions.

It is a meal replacement but it's so much more! I'll send you a link so you can read more about it. Let me know if you have any questions.