Feeling like im always on the "hook"....

I reallly dont know what i am trying to say..its just that at times I am so "all or nothing", that i have a hard time acknowledging the good things that i have accomplished. For example: I get up daily at 430 to do a Jillian MIchaels DVD before work, then i either workout during my lunch at the gym or in the evenings at the gym or most recently i go running outside. Well this week i got up as planned on Monday and Tuesday, ran on Tuesday night as well, but yesterday and today i just could not pull myself out of the bed. The sad thing is that for both days i was awake when the clock went off, i just physically and probably emotionally felt like i could no do it. I feel so bad that i did not get up. Like im falling off track or something...Am i overdoing it? Do others feel this way? I want to just chalk this up as part of the game, you know things happen, but instead i am trying to figure out how to make up for these two "lost" workouts. Im going to drive myself crazy.

Replies

• Working out every day is hard! Maybe you can switch to three days a week. It's going to be hard to workout twice a day for the rest of your life and I get that! Also, maybe get a new DVD to get excited about or sign up for a new gym class so you break your routine rut! You can do this and you should feel proud at all you have done! Wow, that's a lot of great workouts under your belt!
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    I think you should listen to your body- take a few days off, or do a easier exercise such as a long walk if you absolutely have to exercise. If you start to not enjoy working out, and dreading it, you won't be able to keep it up.

Maybe you can look into switching up your exercises too - take a group class, start riding your bike, etc. Maybe you're just getting bored!

Good luck! You can do it :)
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    I'm definitely not an expert but it sounds like you're doing too much, too often! Listen to your body....if you need to take a couple of rest days, then do it! Or just pick 1 or the other to do instead of both (JM or gym). Most of all, don't beat yourself up or give up just because you've had a few days where your energy is not what it's used to. Your body may be trying to tell you something!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    You need a rest day. no one should work out EVERY SINGLE DAY. Take a break, your body is telling you that you need it.
  • If this is not something that you've done your whole life, and if you don't have the motivation of an athlete, it will feel like work and you will more than likely not want to do it... with the feeling that it feels like work. (if that makes sense)

I recently watched "Vision Quest" and was reminded that we need a passion and a goal to keep us going strong... a real for real goal. I have a goal, but I'm not passionate about it. I need to get passionate about it.

Because like you if I don't "feel it" I can't do it. I need to feel it. And that's not so easy to do.

Good luck to you! I hope you find it!!
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    I think you are probably pushing yourself a little too hard. At some points you really have to listen to your body (when it's physically had enough and needs rest, not when its just feeling lazy). You can't count on every day being perfect, and punishing yourself when it isn't won't be helpful! Give your body what it needs and brush yourself off for tomorrow!
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    What other fun things are you doing during the day? Your whole life can't be just work and working out. If your workouts aren't fun it's going to be that much harder to stick with it for the long haul. You're dedicated and that's great, but you have to take care of yourself in other ways too.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    I think we get so caught up in trying to do this that we forget we really do have the rest of our lives to do it in. It's okay to do the slow and steady route...you WILL get in shape and you WILL lose weight! And you'll probably enjoy the journey a little more if you take the time to look out the window at the view once in a while.
  • Stephinow
    Stephinow Posts: 273
    Hi, my friend ;) Everybody here has already given you great, sound advice. I just want to add that maybe you could try a different approach. We're told that our goals should be challenging but attainable and realistic so that we can build our momentum on that feeling of accomplishment when we reach our goals. So maybe instead of your goal being to workout hard every day, you could come up with a detailed workout schedule (that is realistic and safe) that you could make it your goal to stick to. That way you can accept your "off days" as just that and not "lost days," and you could feel great when you've stuck to your workout schedule for, say, a month or whatever time period you choose.

You can do this...you're a rock star!
  • summerbreeze76
    summerbreeze76 Posts: 33 Member
    Thanks to all of you. It really does help to have this site to go to for support and advice. Ill figure things out...