How do you exercise despite pain?

Options
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new with exercise... I have exercised before, and every time I stopped, one of the reasons was because of the post cramps that last for days on end. I would find it uncomfortable to continue and make exercise a regular habit because these pains.

Any tips? Should I just power through until my body gets used to it?

Replies

• angej2
    angej2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cramps or aching muscles? If it's aching muscles just go easier, start with easier exercises and don't spend as long doing them. You will be able to build up gradually. If it's cramps see your GP, you may have an electrolyte imbalance.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,686 Member
    Options
    A lot of us tend to go overboard when starting a new exercise program, and blow ourselves out. Start much more slowly. Don't exercise every day. Don't push yourself too hard. Ease into the activity. If you can't do everything you intend, don't worry, you'll get better. Consistency is the key, and that will only happen if you take it easy and build strength gradually.

If you are in pain, you shouldn't exercise as you could make an injury much worse. But ideally you shouldn't be in pain at all. A little stiff and sore, okay, but pain is your body telling you to back off or else.
  • Sweet_Intensity
    Sweet_Intensity Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Amethyst...

I am no expert but it struck me as unusual that you would have cramps that last for days after exercising. Cramps usually last for a few minutes at most, in my experience. Have you discussed these cramps with a medical professional? I think it is common to feel some general muscle soreness after working out, particularly after an absence of exercise. When I get too sore, it is usually because I've overdone a workout so I ratchet back the intensity and include lots of stretching the next day.
  • AmethystValentina
    Options
    Aching muscles, yes. Whatever muscles I worked on with exercise the day before(squats, lunges, situps,etc) would be the muscles that would ache afterwards. Do you think I should stick with straight cardio for now?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Don't go overboard...start easy and work into things. Going from nothing to all kinds of exercise isn't a very good idea. Personally, I started out just walking every day...worked my way up to a C25K program...adding some weight lifting a few month later. Now I primarily lift and I cycle...but I didn't come out of the gate riding 60-80 miles per week...I worked my way up. Fitness is something that is built over time.

Also, there is a difference between soreness and pain...if you work out regularly, it's likely that you will always have some soreness, though it is much diminished from when you first start...actual pain means something is wrong.
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters and make sure you don’t stop the next day or thereafter. Work the soreness out. It takes a few days but starting and stopping and not going back for awhile makes you have that lactic acid pain.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You probably do too much too soon. Try doing only 1 set per muscle group the first workout, 2 sets the next, etc. :+1:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,114 Member
    Options
    Aching muscles, yes. Whatever muscles I worked on with exercise the day before(squats, lunges, situps,etc) would be the muscles that would ache afterwards. Do you think I should stick with straight cardio for now?

DOMS.

Not cramps.

Ease off the day you're experiencing DOMS and then resume the next day.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cut your effort to about half.
    Do a full set of stretches after your exercise.
    Work out every other day taking a full rest day in between.
    Stay well hydrated before during and after.
    Ice afterwards then alternate ice and heat the next day.

Take care of your body and it will reward you with increased strength with no pain.
  • AmethystValentina
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice! :) I was definitely doing too much, too soon, and I'll ease up and pace myself better.