Keto diet and weight lifting

Options
Is anyone in a keto diet that also lifts a lot I’m trying to figure out how they get their protein intake. Whether or not they just increased their protein percentage and dropped their fat percentage or if they just increased they total amount of everything consumed. If so what were your results and how is it working for you.

Replies

• DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for over 3 years. Don't do body building but now I'm at close to goal weight have (for the first time in my life) joined the gym doing strength training. Also taken up CrossFit. And I swim 3x a week. So pretty active.
    In two months I've gone from 22.1% BF to 20.8% and maintained my weight (115lbs).
    I increased my protein from 90g to 125g and have increased my carb slightly.
    Macros tend to average out to: 25g net carb, 75g fat, 125g protein.
    The only way I get enough protein is by adding in a casein shake/pudding each evening (https://www.nzprotein.co.nz/product/nz-micellar-casein). I blend up 150ml vitasoy unsweetened coconut milk, 31g vanilla casein powder and 60g frozen raspberries... yum.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I don't do "a lot" of lifting, but enough to make some small improvements and build a little bit of muscle... or at a minimum, maintain muscle.

I aim for 1.25g / lb. lbm and don't have any issues hitting that. Protein dense foods I eat include mostly fish and shrimp, skinless chicken breast, and egg whites. Tuna is a convenient to-go snack when purchased in those little foil pouches. Chicken breast is easy to cook on my counter-top (George Foreman) grill in a short amount of time. Egg whites get cooked in a frying pan. Depending on your fat goals and other foods, you can use whole eggs instead and perhaps even add heavy whipping cream, cheese, etc.

If you don't mind adding in plenty of fat, then eat other kinds of meat too - hamburger, steak, sausage, bacon, etc. As long as you don't have meat with a bunch of breading or filler (such as meatballs), meat is an ideal keto food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight is ideal. Since you are keto (glycogen depleted), i'd aim closer to the top end of that or even a bit higher. You can just take it from fat.