Quinoa, anyone?

Options
So I've been hearing and reading a lot lately about Quinoa and how it's being used as a substitute for rice, pasta etc...
I've done some research and it seems to be lower in carbs than white rice but it's much higher in fat content. It's also higher in Protein and has a higher "fullness factor"
Has anyone here been using it and would you recommend it? What stores can I find it in and what are some ways I can cook it?

Thanks!

Replies

• NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I love it!!! It has a nutty flavor that goes well with just about any meal that you prepare. The fat content in it is a good fat, so don't worry about that. I get mine in the bulk secion of places like Sprouts or Sunflower Market, but I believe that you can buy it packaged at your local grocery store. I believe it is in the same aisle as rice. I cook mine in a rice cooker just like I cook rice. But, sometimes I add extra veggies to it, or cook it with tomatoe paste for added flavor. Anything you can come up with will work. But, it is definitely a different flavor and texture than rice, so be prepared. So yummy though.
  • evesacks
    evesacks Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just boil it like rice. Try health food shop. I'm in UK and can buy in regular supermarket.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I eat it all the time. You cook it exactly the same way you cook rice. I like to cook it up then throw in an egg and/or some egg whites, cook it all up, & throw in some veggies or salsa. It's a perfect meal!
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You can buy it at Trader Joes or Whole Foods. Any health food store with a bulk section usually has it.

I *love* quinoa. So versatile, and much more nutritious than rice or pasta. You can basically substitute quinoa for any recipe with rice or pasta.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I love love love Quinoa!! It is very filling and it doesn't cost that much and lasts a long time!

I have found it at whole food stores and in the specialty aisles of the grocery store. I think Walmart even has a boxed brand of Quinoa.

I boil mine in low sodium chicken broth and add different spices depending on what I am cooking with it.

It has a different texture than rice so just don't expect it to be exactly like rice.

Try it, it is yummy! :drinker:
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    One way that I've tried and enjoyed is to make a risotto out of it. I sautee the quinoa in olive oil or a butter like substance with garlic and cupped onion, and keep adding chicken broth and tomato sauce until it starts to look creamy. At the end, I add Parmesan cheese and sometimes grilled veggies. There's lots you can do!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and always keep some on hand. It is healthy, very filling, and can be used in just about anything. I buy mine at my local health food store. A couple of my favorite recipes are quinoa chili and quinoa stuffed peppers. Google "quinoa recipes" to get some recipes that you might like to try.
  • vivalawvegas
    vivalawvegas Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Any grocery store will likely have it. Costco sells a large bag of it. Most commercially packaged ones will be pre rinsed but if you buy from a bulk bin, make sure to rinse it. It had a naturally occurring compound on it that can be bitter.

I like to toast the dry quinoa first and then cook in broth rather than water. It's got a nuttier flavor than rice or couscous. I eat leftovers for breakfast, the same way I'd eat oatmeal. A little milk, brown sugar and nuts.

We eat quinoa 1-2 times a week.
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I love it. You can find it in most grocery stores near the rice. You can also find it at stores that sell things in bulk.

If you want a quick snack you can boil it with veggie broth. If you want it for breakfast, cook it with water...when it's done add cinnamon, agave nectar or honey and fruit...yum.

We also use it when we stuff bell peppers, super tasty. Basically, anytime we would use rice, we use quinoa instead :D
  • lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    This is a really good recipe using it. I even had some left over that I ate with out putting it in a pepper and it was equally as delicious.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896?utm_source=GlutenFree&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=GlutenFree
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I *love* quinoa! It has a nutty, almost sweet flavor and works great as a substitute for rice, but especially cous cous. I make a lot of different salads with it. It was my go-to grain when I went vegetarian because it was high in protein.

If you have a larger grocery store (like Meijer or Walmart), Quinoa can be found either in the health food section or in the grains (by the rice and such). Sometimes it will be in both places because the store wants to make sure it's easy to find. It's relatively inexpensive, though more expensive than rice. It lasts a long time, though!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I love it! Cook it just like white rice, but in chicken broth so that it has some flavor (1 part quinoa, 2 parts water or chicken broth, bring to boil on stove, reduce heat, cook 15-20 minutes until water is absorbed). There is a FANTASTIC recipe on allrecipes.com for turkey quinoa meatloaf. It is my new favorite. It is also good mixed with beans and vegetables for a super high fiber and low calorie filling meal.

You can buy quinoa at any Whole Foods or similar grocery store, but I even find it at my Kroger. It is sold in bulk and you pour out into a bag as much as you want. You can also order online at Amazon.
  • outtanms
    outtanms Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i love it too. I buy mine at Costco in a 4 or 5 pound bag for $10. They also sell it at my Kroger Marketstreet in the bulk food section.
  • HowardRose
    HowardRose Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Love it. Great Rice substitute. Cooks the same. It has a little different texture than rice, but still very tasty.
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My mom and I use it a lot. It's different than rice as far as texture goes, but I like it a lot. The fat content may be slightly higher, but it is good for you fat, not the bad stuff. It's one of those super foods. It's great for digestion and of course super filling. It's better quality than most pastas and rices out there too because it isn't processed as much and the whole grain is there. Give it a try. Just make sure you give it a good rinse before you use it because the quinoa plant actually produces a natural pesticide to protect itself from insects. I've eaten it several times and never had a problem with it after it was rinsed though so no need to be afraid of it. The stuff is great.

P.S. forgot to say that it is gluten free as well which means you won't get hungry as easy after eating it as you would with rice. The glycemic index in other grains is way higher.
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I use it for breakfast in place of oatmeal. Quinoa, almond milk, cinnamon, raisins, chopped apples. I had it yesterday for lunch, mixed it with steamed broccoli, 1 tsp low sodium soy sauce and 1 cup quinoa. Use it in place of rice in soups or toss on a green salad. You will love it. I buy mine at Costco.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend it!
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is so tasty! I love it!

I buy mine at Sprouts Markets from a box, which has cooking instructions. I am sure, however, that you can find it anywhere these days.

So here are the cooking instructions.... ready?.....you cook it like rice.

I love the 'crunchy' texture and the 'nutty' flavor. I also like to add it to my salad or stuff bell peppers with it.... but yes, I like to use it as a side. You can add a little bit of celery and carrots.... peas.... really... cook it like rice.

I think I will have to make some tonight! Yum!
  • healthysew
    healthysew Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    bump, great ideas!
  • suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 50
    Options
    Very good stuff, is quinoa. Use it instead of cracked wheat for taboulleh, do half and half with boiled brown basmati rice for a super-tasty and healthy accompaniment for curries, chilli or whatever-you-like.