Tired of gym fees?

Options
I quit the gym because of the expense and discomfort of it all. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm now working out at home.

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I love the gym atmosphere and how it is a very separate part of my day. Of course, I am at the Y which has financial aid for me so the fees aren't annoyingly high at all. If I was paying 45+ a month, yeah i'd maybe consider committing to a home gym.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I love going to the fitness center in my community (no extra fees because it is included in the HOA). It is a good way for me to get out of the house and have just a "me time," without interruptions.

My house is not setup for gym equipment, and I could never have at home the variety of equipment that the gym has. I like to change my routine and the gym allows me to do that.

OP if working out at home works for you, just go for it!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love my gym. Excellent selection of equipment and they are always adding more. It's very clean, the other members are respectful, and the staff is wonderful. I pay $150 per month and it's is completely worth it.

I could work out at home, but no way would I have room for or be able to afford all the stuff I use there.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love the gym! I pay $49/mo for 24 hr access, all the equipment I could ever imagine and all the classes I want (they have a ton!). The members are great, the trainers are great and I don’t nearly have room enough in my house for all the equipment I want to use!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Nope. I love my gym. Excellent selection of equipment and they are always adding more. It's very clean, the other members are respectful, and the staff is wonderful. I pay $150 per month and it's is completely worth it.

I could work out at home, but no way would I have room for or be able to afford all the stuff I use there.

This.

.....plus it's a lot cheaper than cardiac by-pass.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I'm ~$65 a month at the Y. But I get a pool. All the rest I'm sure I could figure out at home but a pool to use in winter in Canada is a pretty hard expense to deal with at home.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I'm retired and get a free gym membership worth about $35/month under a Medicare Plus program called "Silver Sneakers" but I hardly ever go to the gym because I have all of the gear I need at home, where I prefer to exercise. I spent around $4-5k for all of the gear and it would be foolish not to use it.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity Max30 at home and go to the gym. I really enjoy a mix of both and I couldn’t weight train the way I like at home or get the boxing training I get at the gym
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I haven't paid for a gym membership in years. My experiences at gyms were generally not positive. My bf has weights and I like to run outside and do bodyweight exercises.
  • thunderztormdk
    thunderztormdk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Gym fees in Denmark are generally somewhat lower, so it's not a big deal for us. Besides, if we don't have the gym, I suspect we wouldn't actually get around to doing any real exercise. Now that we're paying for it, it's a lot easier to just decide to get going.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I go to a small community gym for only £19.99 per month. It doesn't have as much equipment as some of the more expensive places but it's adequate for me and it's not usually very busy. I think they make the majority of their money from hiring out their sports pitches to local clubs and children's parties.

I live in an apartment so there is no room for me to workout at home. I'm rather jealous of the people I see with whole gyms in their garage.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I love the coaching i get at my Crossfit box, the varied program and the equipment availability. i would also love a home gym though as well to workout when i cant get to my box
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I was fortunate to belong to a tremendous gym when I was younger and enjoyed it very much.

I moved away and from then on trained at home.

Over the years I acquired equipment here and there and now have tons of free weights and several machines.

A good gym is great though and well worth the usually modest cost.

Some gyms are pricey. Crossfit gyms, for example, are quite expensive but the equipment is not cheap.

People often spend several thousand dollars a year on their phones, internet and TV plans. Spending money on your health and fitness is a wise expenditure.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I pay $10 per month at that nonjudgmental gym and also have a gym at work that I use (plus I run, cycle, and have a treadmill and heavy bag at home). It would cost thousands of dollars and take up most of my basement to create a gym at home that would provide the same functionality, so it makes more sense to just pay the nominal monthly fee and work out there.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Nope! Love going to the gym and don't mind paying. We pay $80/month for my husband and I. But we get access to all of the clubs, lots of classes and a wide variety of equipment that I could never fit in to my home. Plus, I work from home and spend a good chunk of the day driving my kids all over. The gym is often the only time I get out for myself!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my gym. And it’s about to go 24 hours next month which makes it even more worth the cost. So exciting! They no longer offer kickboxing classes though, which really sucks.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I can see not liking the gym. But I like mine. 2 minutes from work, not busy enough to have to wait for anything. 10 bucks a month, but cheaper since I did a buy one year get the next free.

Lots of good stuff you can do at home though. Body weight and a few weights can go a long way.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I adore my gym. Worth every penny and minute of travel time to and from. I pass 10+ gyms on my way there and none of them come even close.

Even if I had the space at home, I’m not likely to invest in the competition grade equipment I’m used to. I still do basics like my prehab and correctives at home but that’s about it.