What foods had helped you fighting fatigue?

Options
Hi! I'm readjusting my eating choices, since for the last month I've been eating a lot of unhealthy foods (high in sodium, very processed) and now my body has felt the impact.

I've been little by little reducing some foods, as well sleeping more and exercising.

My question is what foods, have help you & could help for someone who's felt dehydrated with fatigue? Suggestions are very welcomed!

Thank you!

Replies

• peasgarden
    peasgarden Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    True, dehydration needs water! Yet, nutritional component also counts. I'm looking for ideas to incorporate to my eating.
    I don't understand what you mean, dehydrated with fatigue. Dehydration needs water.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Lettuce and fruit smoothies in the morning!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I don't understand what you mean, dehydrated with fatigue. Dehydration needs water.

I agree.

A tall glass of cold water in the middle of the afternoon is almost as effective as coffee. :)

But a cup of coffee or tea can be a nice addition too, sometimes, to ward off fatigue.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I have never found specific foods to make me feel dehydrated or fatigued or the opposite. Improving sleep quality and staying active are the best ways to get more energy (along with strategically used caffeine). I would think eating a well balanced, calorie appropriate diet would help support that.

Many people who are dieting feel low energy because they aren't eating enough so make sure your calorie goal isn't too aggressive.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a little coffee before all my dance classes. It helps boost me to get moving but I'm not sure how healthy it is
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    A hard boiled egg late morning can get moving!
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    A varied diet usually does it for me, keeping a meal as balanced as possible. Fruit or veggies with hummus makes for a great quick boost though, for me.
  • nickhinds88
    nickhinds88 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Water, caffeine, dates, chocolate , beef.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Maybe since cutting out the highly processed foods you are lacking sodium/salt? This can cause fatigue, make sure you are eating enough calories and carbs too
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,737 Member
    Options
    I feel best overall if I get:

* plenty of protein (I shoot for at least 0.6-0/8g per pound of healthy goal weight);
    * adequate fat (0.35-0.45g per ditto), a good share of it from healthy sources like olive oil, avocados, nuts, etc. (and no trans fats, ideally);
    * at least 5 servings daily of varied fruits and vegetables, ideally more;
    * a reasonable number of calories (i.e., when losing, not a rapid loss rate);
    * enough water (people differ; about 8 cups daily works for me unless I'm extra active or it's hot/dry).

Specific food choices? Any foods I enjoy that accomplish the above. (Life is too short to eat foods that aren't tasty.) And I eat treats when the above have been accomplished but I still have the calories: Chocolate, craft beer, ice cream, wine, chips . . . . :)
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When I started my journey I was suffering terrible fatigue. Two things helped me, drinking more water because I was actually dehydrated and cutting down sugar because I was on a sugar drop.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I drink coffee every morning. I might have another one later in the afternoon, but rarely.

As far as hydration, its not just just water for me but replenishment of electrolytes in general. Fatigue to me might represent that I am missing something from diet or from not eating enough calories in general. If I am exercising, am I exercising to the point where its not energizing me? Could it be related to where I am in my monthly cycle?

I ensure I eat my recommended calorie intake, not trying to go lower than that, setup my diary each day to meet my moderate protein goal and setup carbs and fats accordingly. I know which macros provide me with the most energy balance. I do not restrict the types of calories I consume.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    If, after trying these excellent suggestions you still feel fatigued, you might see about getting your thyroid checked. Even a small reduction in thyroid function can have a noticeable effect on your energy levels.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Not getting enough food will make you fatigued. Are you hitting your minimum calories daily?

Not getting quality sleep will make you fatigued. Are you getting enough sleep?

Vitamins that have helped me stay energized include vitamin D and the B vitamins.

There's always caffeine in the morning.

An energizing meal for me includes lots of vegetables and all the macros. So it might be a Mediterranean salad.

Over the long haul doing regular cardiovascular exercise has increased my stamina.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Yes, I try to stay clear of pre-packaged foods and ever since I started taking my new all natural supplements of a Sunrise, Nitro and Sunset vitamin, I have noticed my cravings have drastically decreased, I have so much more energy and I feel so much better.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Raw Produce is a great fighter of fatigue (for me).