Bereaved mom looking for help with accountability.

Options
Hello all, I lost my 22-yo son 1 year ago. Back then, I was in a great shape, eating well, and working out every day. Now, I find myself nearly 20 pounds heavier, drinking too much, and unable to fit into my clothes. :( I haven't used this app for 3 years, but nabbed it from The Cloud this morning, determined to get back in shape. Any one in here found help with accountability? Or work-out partners? I'm in Austin. Thanks!

Replies

• dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My condolences to you for the loss of your son. As a mom, it is hard to even imagine a loss like that. I went through some stress with my son a couple years ago, and that was enough to mess up my good diet intentions. Now I'm back trying again. I lost my Mom last week and finding it real hard to get through the week and eat right, log, and exercise. Must admit, many of my excess calories are going to alcohol, but next week I'll start again. You are in the right place and I think you will find lots of support to help get you back on track. I'll send you a friend request to get you started.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm sorry for the loss of your son. I did not lose my son, but dealt with a very sick child for 2yrs not knowing day to day or week to week if we would lose him. It's very stressful and easy to pile the weight on in those circumstances (I did afterwards). Be kind to yourself, and take care of yourself. It's difficult to deal with grief. Maybe just start right now with logging what you're eating and drinking without worrying about losing any of the weight you've gained. Give yourself some time to work back into the app. I bet you'll find after logging the alcohol that over time you will begin to decide it's not worth it and start cutting back naturally. Give yourself room to grieve, but realize at the same time that grieving is helped with exercise and routine. Some days, it's just putting one foot in front of the other to get through it (routine). If you can develop a good routine with MFP it can help the entire process of getting your health back in the long run. Hang in there.....