Macro coach - holy expensive! Worth it?

I'm desperate to find my spark/push/motivation to lose this weight I've put back on and thought it would be worth looking into having a macro coach. ...until I found out that it's more expensive to have a coach for a few months that a deluxe gym membership for a year. For those of you who have had coaching, was it worth the expense? I really need someone to slap the food out of my hands. Maybe I can pay someone to do that...

Replies

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    edited November 2017
    I mostly agree with what everyone is saying - which is why I'm wondering if it's worth the cost. I lost 50 lbs with just MFP before but I lost my will to keep going and gained it all back. I do need someone to be accountable to because, in the end, I personally just go - meh, this pizza will put me way over my calories but we'll just make up for it tomorrow... I think I just need to hire the food slapper. ;)
  • Ohwhynot
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I've never heard of a macro coach, what do they purport to do, that you can't do for free on this website, IIFYM.com, or others?

Basically, they give you custom goals and workouts, check in with you once a week to help keep you on track. They're like diet babysitters.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I've never heard of a macro coach, what do they purport to do, that you can't do for free on this website, IIFYM.com, or others?

Basically, they give you custom goals and workouts, check in with you once a week to help keep you on track. They're like diet babysitters.

Yup this...

I think it's a fancy name for a weight loss coach to be honest.

I wouldn't pay much for one...I would prefer a more rounded approach.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I get the desire for accountability though - I actually have a paid membership here because it was how I incentivized myself to actually use the site when I started logging way back in July 2016. Sometimes putting money where your mouth is can help, but sometimes it’s just way too much money! I’m sure you can figure out something reasonable that works for you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    I'm desperate to find my spark/push/motivation to lose this weight I've put back on and thought it would be worth looking into having a macro coach. ...until I found out that it's more expensive to have a coach for a few months that a deluxe gym membership for a year. For those of you who have had coaching, was it worth the expense? I really need someone to slap the food out of my hands. Maybe I can pay someone to do that...

If you don't mind online support, I'd look at avatar nutrition. Very customizable and gets a lot of good feedback.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Lol, they'll likely give you some advice like: "Here's what you should shoot for for macro ratios 50/30/20". And that's like really basic info you can find just about anywhere.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    how much are you talking? I personally use eat to perform - i think its about $30 a month - i get reviewed weekly and my macros tweaked as needed - I bought a lifetime membership about 6 months ago which means i never have to pay again but for me its worth it
  • Ohwhynot
    how much are you talking? I personally use eat to perform - i think its about $30 a month - i get reviewed weekly and my macros tweaked as needed - I bought a lifetime membership about 6 months ago which means i never have to pay again but for me its worth it

a lot... 4 times that for diet and fitness coaching.
  • Ohwhynot
    Lounmoun wrote: »

So you lost 50 lbs on your own but found it hard to sustain. Are you going to pay a diet babysitter or food slapper for the rest of your life?

I haven't ruled that out yet. ;)
  • Ohwhynot
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, they'll likely give you some advice like: "Here's what you should shoot for for macro ratios 50/30/20". And that's like really basic info you can find just about anywhere.
    That's what I'm afraid of. I have macros that I plugged in from a couple different calculators so I'm not sure what I could get that's super different.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I lost 52 lbs on my own and used a coaching service this year. It pretty much set my macros/calories and checked in with me once per week. I don't use it now but it was helpful for me during a rough time and I don't regret using it.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    I know this may seem silly. Do you by any chance have a photograph of yourself which you do not like? When you were at your highest weight. Could you perhaps put a copy on your fridge door? You would see it each time you go to the fridge, might be the incentive to help to keep you on track and/or keep to perfect portion sizes. May be balance it with one of you, you really like, at a weight when you felt comfortable. (It probably would not be a good idea, unless you live alone, and remember to put it back when expected friends leave) It would be easier on the pocket. All the very best.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I mostly agree with what everyone is saying - which is why I'm wondering if it's worth the cost. I lost 50 lbs with just MFP before but I lost my will to keep going and gained it all back. I do need someone to be accountable to because, in the end, I personally just go - meh, this pizza will put me way over my calories but we'll just make up for it tomorrow... I think I just need to hire the food slapper. ;)

At the end of the day, unless you are going to pay someone to slap food out of your hand for ever, you have to learn how to be accountable to yourself, and by yourself. I agree with @Lounmoun , it sounds like maintenance is what you struggle with. Common advice is to lose weight in a way that will make it easy to transition to maintenance, so that you don't cut things out temporarily that you don't plan to abstain from forever - you learn how to moderate your intake of pizza, fit it into your daily or weekly goals, so that you can still enjoy pizza while losing weight and while maintaining.

A lot of people find great success with doing a series of challenges here on MFP, or with building a group of like minded friends for support and accountability. Other tactics like prelogging can be another method that helps with determining how to fit foods into your plan, so you hopefully avoid that "oh well, I already ate it, might as well scrap the whole day/week/month" that some people struggle with.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have a coach (powerlifting trainer) and he sets my macros for me as part of my training. But I didn't hire him for the macro part, I hired him for the powerlifting training. I think he's worth it. I would not think he was worth it if it was just for the macros part.