How often should I weigh myself?

Options
2»

Replies

• peteb79
    peteb79 Posts: 386
    Options
    I believe its personal preference, like others have said if you obsess over gains then its best to weigh weekly, if you know gains are normal then its ok to weigh daily. I weigh every day, I log it weekly on MFP and daily in a spreadsheet along with my food and water and other information and notes.. just so I can keep track of my progress and maybe see things that work and things that don't work.
  • butterfly0589
    butterfly0589 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    You could weigh yourself everyday but pick one day a week to actually log your weight. I weigh everyday, but that may work for everyone.

this' what i do xxx
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I like to use my current weight to help track how I eat, but waiting to do a weekly weigh in just seems to be too long. Is weighing myself twice or three times a week doing more harm than good?

The scale is an evil beast. Personally, I don't like the scale for the 'small' weight loss measurements. It just doesn't tell the whole picture. If you lose .4 pounds, did you really lose some weight? Is it a freak weigh in? 10 lbs, ok, there is a genuine amount of weight gone. The really important part is the composition of your body. Use the scale, it is a great tool, but it does not show the whole story. Measure yourself at your neck, shoulders, bust, upper and lower arms, waist, hips, thighs, lower legs and track those measurements. That will give you a much better story of your progess. What mentally sounds better? I lost 1 pound, or I lost a combined total of 4 inches on my body?
  • sunshinethompson
    sunshinethompson Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every Sunday morning before breakfast! Mornings are always the best time for me as my body has been at rest therefore retain less water weight after using the bathroom before weighing in. I try not to obsess over the scale. My scale is program to track my weight loss. It displays my BMI, Height and Weight. It has indicator lights to show me whether I have lost, gained or maintained stability. Once a week is always better!
  • Cushworth
    Options
    I currently weigh my self daily but am planning to log once a week, on a Friday. Although I been registered for 3 weeks I've only been using the site properly for 2 weeks the first week was a test just to see how much i was actually eating everyday and how much of it was rubbish, was a proper eyeopener,
    I find weighing myself daily is a benefit in the fact i am encouraged to keep going by the fact the weigh is dropping even by a tiny amount, but on days it doesnt change, or heaven forbid it goes up it actually motivates me to try harder, no scale is going beat me lol.

I am hoping as i get further in this and a visible change is noticable i will be able to reduce the need for weighing myself everyday and just use the way i look as a measure,

I am so glad i found this site, the phone app is the most useful diet tool and i find all the stories inspirational. As someone with only a stone to lose, i think some of the people on here are amazing and when i read about their stories and their amazing weight losses, its like a virtual kick up the backside. I tell myself if they can, i can.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but record once a week on Tuesdays ( I weigh in the morning after using the rest room). I also messure 2 times each week :) you really should messure its an even more impressive than the scale :)
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You can weigh yourself anytime you want as long as you're fine with what you see and don't freak out over little fluctuations.

I've actually fashioned wheels onto mine and I use it as my main source of transportation so I can keep an 18-hour long record of fluctuations throughout the day. Then I log it on my arm, then at the end of the day, I close my eyes, make a wish, choose one of the dozens of logged weights, and viola! That's the weight I decide to be that day.

lmao
  • Foxybee1
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week first thing in the AM after pottying naked.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only log it once a week.

Interestingly, I wrote a blogpost about this exact issue today. Feel free to read it : )