Heavy lifting when you're overweight

Options
Hi everyone! First time posting here. I've had a super crappy year (understatement), and in an effort to try and boost my confidence and fight depression, I joined the gym in my new town about 3 weeks ago. I've been in and out of gyms throughout my 20s, and I normally stuck to cardio. While I always saw some results on the scale, my reasons for working out are a bit different this time around - I not only want to lose weight, but I want to feel strong, powerful and well, bad a**. For once in my life, I want to push my mind and body to see what I'm capable of. I'm excited. Anyway, getting to the point... I'm 5'6, and currently weigh 220lbs (the most I've ever weighed). I think I'm fairly muscular, naturally - especially in my lower body and I think I've always carried my weight well but my belly is really starting to get to me. My question is - I want to lose a lot of weight, obviously, while also building strength and sculpting my arms and legs and lifting my butt and all of that good stuff... but at this point in my journey (just starting out, carrying a lot of extra weight, etc), how much time should I really spend lifting heavy weights? Should I focus more on cardio until I lose some pounds, and THEN start lifting? Are all of those squats, deadlifts and bench presses a good use of my time, or should I be sticking to the stair climber and treadmill? I don't have the funds for a PT right now... so any input and advice from people who are/have been in my situation would be greatly appreciated! -Cait

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hello Cait. I suggest starting a resistance program now. If you know that you are going to want to squat, deadlift, etc., I see no reason to wait before starting right away. Depending on what kind of shape you are in, you may or may not need to do other work before getting to those lifts or you may be able to start them today. Regardless, there is plenty of benefit to start now and not wait. I highly recommend it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to start lifting right away. Find a beginner program (I'm partial to Stronglifts 5 x 5 as it's straightforward, progressive & free..... https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ )

The program calls for starting with an empty bar & adding 5lbs per workout, that may be a little aggressive for some people but only you can be the judge of that. Focus on good form as your number one goal for now.

Don't overlook cardio too, a balanced program includes both.

• alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    It's worthwhile to hire a trainer for a couple of sessions. Just to walk you through the basics of lifting with good form.

I was about 250 lbs. when I started lifting. Couldn't do a proper barbell squat, so the trainer started me with wall squats with a stability ball behind me. Progressed to goblet squats with kettlebells after a month and barbell squats in another month.
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There's no reason not to start lifting right away. Find a beginner program (I'm partial to Stronglifts 5 x 5 as it's straightforward, progressive & free..... https://stronglifts.com/5x5/ )

The program calls for starting with an empty bar & adding 5lbs per workout, that may be a little aggressive for some people but only you can be the judge of that. Focus on good form as your number one goal for now.

Don't overlook cardio too, a balanced program includes both.
    Thanks Brian, I was browsing the Stronglifts website before I saw your reply! I like the sounds of the program so far.... I think I'll give it a try. I like the simplicity of it.
  • BeautyDoll
    BeautyDoll Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Strength training builds muscle with burns fat. You'll have better results in the long term when you build a machine that burns fat! I do agree that you should have someone show you the machines. I just hired a trainer and he puts much more weight on the machines than I ever would. He also has me doing more reps than I would on my own! I am enjoying it immensely but it can be pricey. Guess,what? I'M WORTH EVERY PENNY! Best of luck to you!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Lift now! Start yesterday! I started with Stronglifts and LOVED it.
  • soinbnsng
    soinbnsng Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon for about an entire year. I reached 215 lbs, got back on the wagon and I am down 13 pounds in about 2 months. I ONLY lift heavy weights at the gym. I never do any sort of cardio machine. I love the feeling of becoming stronger. I do however wear a fitness tracker and make it a point to reach 10k steps a day. Diet is definitely the most important in regards to losing fat. I stay within my calorie limits and I don't feel super hungry or deprived. Feel free to add me/message me!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started strength training day 1 at 300 lbs and continue to this day, 3 1/2 years later and 150 lbs lighter. Absolutely no regrets. You can do cardio on off days.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Start now, strength training is muscle sparing while at a deficit. Find a good beginner program that is progressive loading ... recommendations all over this site ( I use Stronglifts 5x5 ).
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Definitely start lifting now! You have a lot of muscle now from carrying the extra weight around, and lifting while you eat at a deficit will help you preserve your muscle mass. I remember the first time I squatted 60 lbs as a warmup set and it felt like nothing to me, and I realized... I had lost 60 lbs already, squatting that much was nothing to me, since I literally used to carry that weight around all the time!
  • caiteh86
    caiteh86 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Thanks all..... I guess I will (happily) continue what I was doing!
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I’m currently 190. I just started strength training about a month ago. I do cardio in between. I feel strong, like I can do anything when I lift. My weight hasn’t dropped much yet (mostly due to my lack of commitment to eating like I should a lot of the time) but my clothes are not as tight. Bonus: my husband said he can tell my back side is starting to slim down!
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    aganey wrote: »
    I’m currently 190. I just started strength training about a month ago. I do cardio in between. I feel strong, like I can do anything when I lift. My weight hasn’t dropped much yet (mostly due to my lack of commitment to eating like I should a lot of the time) but my clothes are not as tight. Bonus: my husband said he can tell my back side is starting to slim down!

All I got so far is my face is skinnier. Good for you. ;)
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    aganey wrote: »

All I got so far is my face is skinnier. Good for you. ;)

Hey I would take that as well because I joke about how my jaw bones have sort of disappeared. I haven’t seen them in about 11 years.
  • Iwannabfit76
    Iwannabfit76 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Why not do it all? I’ve been so successful with alternating my upper and lower body workouts with cardio 4-5 days a week. Now I’ve incorporated HIIT into my workouts as well as running and walking 4-5 miles. Muscle weighs more than fat but it takes up less space so when you’re building muscle, you’re going to look so much better than someone not working out that weighs the same or even less than you. (Not saying that people who don’t workout look bad) it’s just amazing at how your body transforms when you work hard! Best wishes!
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Lift! Lift now! Lift yesterday! Not only do you get stronger (especially doing progressive overload), you retain more muscle while on your deficit. Which means less worry about looking squishy and skinny fat when you get down to goal weight. And body composition changes even though you’re still overweight, which is great.