Cabbage soup diet???

Options
Hey is the cabbage soup diet any good??
im going on holiday in a week and been thinking about doing this for a week, i know i will put weight back on when i eat normally as im not going ot be dieting on holiday but it would just make me feel good before i went.
It cant be that bad i can eat as much of veg and fruit as i like, i can have jacket potatoes on a certain day, meat on others.

anyone tried this?? xx

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If by good you mean hungry all the time and very gassy but losing weight, then it's great.
  • ninpiggy
    ninpiggy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that swears by cabbage soup. The soups themselves look pretty healthy/nutritious. But they seem like much too much effort to prepare. lol
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My mum used to do this when I was young for special occaisions. It seemed to work well, the 'soup' itself is actually more like a veggie casserole and really delicious. I say give it a go, as long as you're prepared to gain back the weight after x
  • change_happens
    Options
    yes. you will lose weight. initially it will be water weight, but it will be gone. at least your expecations aren't to high, because you already know that you will gain the weight back. let us know how it works for you.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I haven't followed the actually diet in years, but when I did it was good for a quick loss as long as you don't mind gaining it back, lol.

What I do for myself all the time though is I make up a huge crock pot of a cabbage soup (my own recipe, I throw in different veggies, just no potato because I don't want the carbs) and take that to lunch every day for work. It is a kinda diruetic, super lo-cal, and tasty. But I am a soup-a-holic and would eat it for breakfast & dinner too if it had more protein. :)
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    As far as I understand it can leave you with unbearable stomach cramps. A friend of mine did it at uni and by the end of the first week, I found her, laying on the floor in the lounge, on her back, her feet up, holding her stomach, moaning and farting like a trooper about every 30 seconds...she did lose a bunch of weight though!!
  • gemma247
    gemma247 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your replies :) i think i might give it a go, better get down the supermarket 2moz and stock the fridge lol il let you know how i get on :) xxx
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Can someone give me their recipe for this? I'd like to try it out. Not for the weightloss factor but because i love cabbage and figure this is a no brainer low cal meal idea.
  • gemma247
    gemma247 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    recipie ison here http://www.cabbage-soup-diet.com/recipe/

■6 large green onions (also called “spring” onions)
    ■2 green peppers
    ■1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
    ■3 carrots
    ■1 container (10 oz. or so) mushrooms
    ■1 bunch of celery
    ■half a head of cabbage
    ■1 package spice only soup mix (In the US, Liptons is a good choice)
    ■1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
    ■1 48oz can V8 juice (optional)
    ■Season to taste with pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc. (Little to NO SALT!)
    Directions:

Slice green onions, put in a pot on medium heat and start to sauté with cooking spray. Do this until the onions are whiter/clearer in color (about 4-6 minutes).

Cut green pepper stem end off, then cut pepper in half to take out the seeds and membrane. Cut the green pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.

Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.

Clean carrots, mushrooms, and celery, cut into bite size pieces and toss them in. Add tomatoes now, too.

If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.

For seasonings, you can use a spice soup packet of your choice (no noodles!) or use beef or chicken bouillon cubes. These cubes are optional, and you can add spices you like instead (make sure not to add much salt, if any at all).

Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the 48 oz of V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup simmer for a long time – about 2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    I'm planning to start a soup detox diet tomorrow. I give myself 4 days before I go crazy and start snacking on my children. But I'm hoping to flush out my system, hopefully drop a few pounds which will motivate me to keep (some of) it off again with a healthy diet afterwards. I've fallen too far behind in being healthy. I see it, i want it, i eat it. Not good.

This is the one I'm doing:

Detoxify Diet
    Day One: Vegetable Soup, Unlimited Fruit (No Bananas), Herbal tea, 8 Glasses of Water.
    Day Two: Vegetable Soup, Unlimited Raw Vegetables, Stir Fry Vegetables for Supper. Water/Herbal tea.
    Day Three: Vegetable Soup, Unlimited Vegetables and Fruit (No Bananas) Water/ Herbal Tea
    Day Four: Vegetable Soup, 2 Cups skim Milk, 20oz of Chicken, Beef or Fish, 8 Bananas, Water/Herbal Tea.
    Day Five: One Boiled Egg (AM) Vegetable Soup, 6 Raw Tomatoes, 20 oz Chicken, Beef or Fish, Water/Herbal Tea.
    Day Six: One Boiled Egg and Fruit (AM) Unlimited Raw Vegetables, 20oz Chicken, Fish or Beef, One Cup Brown Rice. Water/Herbal Tea.
    Day Seven: One Boiled Egg (AM) Unlimited Raw Vegetables and Fruit, 2 Cups Brown Rice, 20oz Chicken, Fish or Beef. Water/Herbal Tea.

Vegetable Soup Recipe:
    1 tsp Virgin Olive oil
    1 tsp Basil

½ tsp Sea Salt
    3 Bay Leaves

½ tsp Pepper
    2 tbsp Oregano

3 Stalks Celery, Diced
    ½ Head of cabbage, chopped

3 carrots, Sliced
    4 large Tomatoes, Diced

2 Onions, Diced
    3 Cups fresh Beans (Green or Yellow)

2 Bell Peppers, Diced
    1 Can Diced Tomatoes

2 Cloves Garlic

Put olive oil and all veggies, except tomatoes, in a Large pot. Let simmer until tender. 
Add spices and 12 cups of water. Simmer until veggies are desired consistency then add tomatoes.

Let cool. 
Portions for one week.
 (Eating at least 3 large bowls of soup per day for the first 4 days)
  • hunny73
    hunny73 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump! :)