Getting back too it - help!

Options
Hello, a quick insight to my story, I started this in October 2016 when I stepped on the scale after being on holiday and was 16 1/2 stone, I got down to 13.11 in June this year. I was so into everything, I excersize daily for two hours, I ate pretty good every day, in May this year we got a puppy and for some reason i wanted to spend all my time with her I started to begrudge any excersize which I before loved! In June we went on holiday for my partners 21st birthday for a week and I ate awfully, we returned to work for 5 days where I got back to it then went to France for 3 weeks in the summer! We moved into a new house end of August and since then I just haven't had any motivation, or eaten well at all. I weighed myself a month ago and had got back to 14 stone 11, I joined weight watchers because I thought maybe I was just bored of MFP and wanted something new. But it doesn't seem to be working. Ive decided today to start this again, but I wanted some advice on the best low cal sweet foods? I'm awful for sweet foods, last night I ate a whole tub of Ben and Jerry's, I can't resist ice cream lol! I want to chuck out all the sweets and biscuits and ice cream I have (I have 6 tubs of Ben and Jerry's I'm addicted!) and replace it with other foods, like clementines in juice ect. Anything is reccomended, thank you. Oh and I also bought a under desk foot pedal thing for at work, are those any good?!

Replies

• BasketMommy4
    BasketMommy4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I too started back in 2016 and fell off the wagon but am now back to it!!! Sweets are a huge weakness for me so after enduring the 2wks or so of no sugar, I have been able to stay on track (except for Thanksgiving when I did have some). Ice cream happens to be my biggest weakness so I know what you mean. Just look for the ice cream that is lower in fat/calories or has no sugar, Skinny Cow happens to have great tasting low calorie varieties (not sure if you get those where you are) but I'm sure there are alternatives for you that you can find w/less calories that still taste great and satisfies those cravings. :) Since I do LC/HF, I find that frozen whipped cream mixed w/SF syrups help me when I get my ice cream cravings. I'm anxious to hear how the foot pedal works, if you get it for under your desk. I sit at a desk all day and have to make myself get up and walk, or I won't move for 8hrs. :o I still have a long road to go as I'd like to lose another 75lbs, but have given myself goals of 10lbs at a time w/a reward at the end. Good Luck & add me as a friend if you'd like to help each other along. :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    katiehepp1 wrote: »
    I was so into everything, I excersize daily for two hours, I ate pretty good every day, in May this year we got a puppy and for some reason i wanted to spend all my time with her I started to begrudge any excersize which I before loved!!

I think if I may be so bold as to make an assumption this might be your problem, exercise is great for health but relying on it for weight loss can be a bad idea in my opinion, because there are times when we will lack motivation or might suffer from an injury.

Focus on your food for weight loss, there is absolutely no reason you can't fit in some ice cream if that's what you like, the only way using MFP/Weight Watchers/Slimming World and the like will work is if you find a way of eating that you can stick to for the long term, not just til you get to your target weight. There are a couple of ways you could try to factor the ice cream in without adversely affecting your calorie intake:
    • Portion Control - Buy the mini-cup version or portion out into small containers.
    • Find a lower calorie alternative - Get a lower calorie version, you can get zero calorie syrups, berries, etc to add a bit more sweetness
    • Low Fat Flavoured Yoghurts frozen - I like this now and again, I keep a pack of small yoghurts in the freezer, it's pretty much the same texture as ice cream and only around 100 calories a pot.
    • Looking at calories over the week - eat a little less one day, bank the calories for an ice cream day
    • Intermittent Fasting - Something I do on weekends to make room for more indulgent meals/drinks I eat a 300-400 calorie brunch around 12/1pm and then have all the rest of my calories for the day for food/drink.
  • katiehepp1
    katiehepp1 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice there! I like the idea of low sugar syrups and cream ect! We do have skinny cow here so I might give them a go. The foot pedal is okay, it's a little bit flimsy to be honest it moves about quite a bit when peddling so have to keep stopping to move it back! But it's good, doesn't feel like I'm working out so not sure if I an
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have a wicked sweet tooth! when I first re-started MFP, I let my palate "clear" (no sweets) for a few weeks and I found that I don't crave them so much. That being said, if it fits the calories, treats are nice :smiley:
  • twistedhailstone
    twistedhailstone Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    As for exercise why don’t you incorporate being with your dogs and getting a workout, take them hiking or running will be great for you both.
    For your ice cream habit have you thought about freezing protein shakes into ice lollies. You could even add a few treats to the mix of you wanted something a little more decadent. Also MyProtein do an ice cream mix, haven’t got a clue what it tastes like but they have a few different flavours you could try.
    Otherwise I’d suggest setting yourself a small target and just focusing on that. I decided not to eat refined sugar for 10 weeks, bought myself a wall planner and the simple act of crossing off the days as I complete them is helping to keep me on track so far (I’ve just completed my sixth week).
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    katiehepp1 wrote: »
    Hello, a quick insight to my story, I started this in October 2016 when I stepped on the scale after being on holiday and was 16 1/2 stone, I got down to 13.11 in June this year. I was so into everything, I excersize daily for two hours, I ate pretty good every day, in May this year we got a puppy and for some reason i wanted to spend all my time with her I started to begrudge any excersize which I before loved! In June we went on holiday for my partners 21st birthday for a week and I ate awfully, we returned to work for 5 days where I got back to it then went to France for 3 weeks in the summer! We moved into a new house end of August and since then I just haven't had any motivation, or eaten well at all. I weighed myself a month ago and had got back to 14 stone 11, I joined weight watchers because I thought maybe I was just bored of MFP and wanted something new. But it doesn't seem to be working. Ive decided today to start this again, but I wanted some advice on the best low cal sweet foods? I'm awful for sweet foods, last night I ate a whole tub of Ben and Jerry's, I can't resist ice cream lol! I want to chuck out all the sweets and biscuits and ice cream I have (I have 6 tubs of Ben and Jerry's I'm addicted!) and replace it with other foods, like clementines in juice ect. Anything is reccomended, thank you. Oh and I also bought a under desk foot pedal thing for at work, are those any good?!

On the Ice Cream front, seeing as you seem to live in the Uk, there is a brand called Oppo that has just started being sold in Asda and Sainsburys and is on offer at £3 at the moment (usually £5 in Waitrose who were one of only two places selling it until last week). It is like 38-42 calories per scoop and pretty much all natural. The chocolate and hazelnut flavour is very good. Whole pint is around 350-400 calories.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Is Halo Top or Enlightened available in the UK? Those helped me with my Ben & Jerry's habit.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie, the responses above cover most of it but I think the important thing is to PLAN! Plan a few meals to cook during the week and prelog them in MFP where possible. You can have a small serve of Ben and Jerry's or one of the healthier alternatives, just work it into your calorie allowance.