Fat Tuesday anyone?

Options
I can't believe it's tomorrow already. I had no clue until my boyfriend saw a sign on a bakery the other day about punchkies (I have no idea how to spell it). I personally don't really like them....too gross and I honestly don't think the taste it worth all that fat and calories. I'm not even big on doughnuts....but I do like those plain ones from the cider mill, and just the simple ring doughts with chocolate coating, yum.

I'm not Catholic, but my dad grew up Catholic so we always celebrated Lent growing up and gave something up. I have no idea what to give up this year....it's usually pop or junk food, but I don't consume much of either one anymore, and I think it is important to my weightloss to still eat it now and again so I don't crash. I thought about cussing, but my mouth has gotten so bad I'm thinking I might fail on that each and everyday, especially when driving to work.

Anyone plan on taking a cheat day to partake in fat Tuesday?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's tomorrow already. I had no clue until my boyfriend saw a sign on a bakery the other day about punchkies (I have no idea how to spell it). I personally don't really like them....too gross and I honestly don't think the taste it worth all that fat and calories. I'm not even big on doughnuts....but I do like those plain ones from the cider mill, and just the simple ring doughts with chocolate coating, yum.

I'm not Catholic, but my dad grew up Catholic so we always celebrated Lent growing up and gave something up. I have no idea what to give up this year....it's usually pop or junk food, but I don't consume much of either one anymore, and I think it is important to my weightloss to still eat it now and again so I don't crash. I thought about cussing, but my mouth has gotten so bad I'm thinking I might fail on that each and everyday, especially when driving to work.

Anyone plan on taking a cheat day to partake in fat Tuesday?
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Punchkies? What is that?
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    No fat tuesday is the day before ash wednesday, the last day before lent starts, it's the last day to pig out because people are suppose to fast during lent. So fat tuesday isn't until Feb 24.
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I miss Mardi Gras. :sad:

I talked to my mom this weekend and she was at some parades. :ohwell:

I miss king cake. crush.gif
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    No fat tuesday is the day before ash wednesday, the last day before lent starts, it's the last day to pig out because people are suppose to fast during lent. So fat tuesday isn't until Feb 24.

Wow, I could have sworn it said Ash Wednesday on the 11th. My eyes are playing tricks on me.
  • sarabear
    Options
    LOL I think that it was the 11 or 12 last year, our priest said that last year was the earliest it could ever be, they calculate it with the moon some how, I don't know how they do it, but whatever works LOL
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Pancakes on Tuesday for supper. I'll make whole wheat. Yup, thanks, now i know what's for supper tomorrow. And I'm not even religious. That's how we grew up also.
  • amymeenieminymo
    Options
    Punchkies? What is that?

Punchkies is my "sound it out" spelling version of Paczki (or at least it's how wikipedia spells it), which is a polish doughnut that resembles a custard or jelly filled doughtnut but has much more lard and sugar and calories and fat among other stuff. Not sure if they have them everywhere, but here in Michigan all of the bakerys and such sell them the day before Lent begins so you can pig out one last time on fat Tuesday.
  • schoonmp
    schoonmp Posts: 175
    Options
    LOL I think that it was the 11 or 12 last year, our priest said that last year was the earliest it could ever be, they calculate it with the moon some how, I don't know how they do it, but whatever works LOL

It's figured 6 weeks before Easter with Mardi Gras being the last day before Ash Wednesday. There is 6 weeks of Lent before Easter. I think that's how it goes.
    Pam
  • sarabear
    Options

It's figured 6 weeks before Easter with Mardi Gras being the last day before Ash Wednesday. There is 6 weeks of Lent before Easter. I think that's how it goes.
    Pam

I knew the 40 days of Lent before Easter, :wink: but they figure Easter with the moon, that's what I don't know how they do....one of His great mysteries:laugh: