Calories burnt

Options
How do you count calories you burn during a workout? Today I got 50 more calories. I wanna burn them. I want to do some squats or lunges. How do you guys count how many calories they burn?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    You only want to burn 50 calories? So do like 50 squats and 50 lunges. 50 calories really isn't anything to worry about for weight loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Logging "strength training" in the cardiovascular exercise section will add calories to your goal today.

I'm not sure what you mean by:
    Today I got 50 more calories. I wanna burn them.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Obsessing over little numbers will burn you out over time. 50 calories isn't much. As long as you're regularly eating under your TDEE, you'll be fine. Don't sweat the small stuff. :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I've noticed you posting several questions/comments like this. If you don't learn how to take a step back and see the bigger picture you're going to continue to struggle. It's only going to make it harder to reach your goals.
  • merveozyalin
    merveozyalin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've noticed you posting several questions/comments like this. If you don't learn how to take a step back and see the bigger picture you're going to continue to struggle. It's only going to make it harder to reach your goals.

what do you mean take a step back? This is how I keep myself motivated. If I don't ask people I would have probably eaten tons of food over this. You commented something like on this one of my earlier post and I really got scared to ask again. I don't know what's so wrong to ask. I got really excited to find a community that helps and teaches me but your comments have a really negative impact on me.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Are you ready to share some info?

In your other thread you mentioned that your goal is 1230 a day before additional deliberate exercise (I assume you told the app that you're sedentary) and that you want to lose 1 lb a week. Which would make your sedentary pre exercise maintenance 1730. Which since you look on the younger side of the spectrum makes you pretty light and not too tall.

You mentioned the word journey. That implies a change of outlook and major life changes over a long period of time.

But your picture and stats when I think about them make me think that you're already at a normal weight.

So.

What are your current age, height, weight and goals here?

How long are you expecting this to take? What is this? Are you overweight? Obese? Trying to tone up? What are your expectations?
  • merveozyalin
    merveozyalin Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Are you ready to share some info?

In your other thread you mentioned that your goal is 1230 a day before additional deliberate exercise (I assume you told the app that you're sedentary) and that you want to lose 1 lb a week. Which would make your sedentary pre exercise maintenance 1730. Which since you look on the younger side of the spectrum makes you pretty light and not too tall.

You mentioned the word journey. That implies a change of outlook and major life changes over a long period of time.

But your picture and stats when I think about them make me think that you're already at a normal weight.

So.

What are your current age, height, weight and goals here?

How long are you expecting this to take? What is this? Are you overweight? Obese? Trying to tone up? What are your expectations?

I'm 19 yo , 157 cm and 56.9 kg. According to apps I am at a normal weight. However I've been called fat by people around me so many times. I've been struggling because of it for a long time. I blame my weight for every social attempt I fail. Also my muscle mass is really low compared to fat. My goal is to lose some fat and get leaner, feel healthy and get confident. I said it's a journey because even after I achieve my goal I wanna stay healthy. Till I started counting my calories I used order burgers pizzas twice a day everyday (I'm in college and living in dorms) I don't want to go back to my old habbits.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    First you are pretty normal for your height and weight so it should be more about gaining muscle mass. To do that your going to have to find a strength training program and follow it. If you truly do the training your going to have to increase your calories since your body is going to need it to grow muscle.

The second and most important thing you should do is LOVE yourself unconditionally. Before you freak out on me for saying that, what I mean is to LOVE yourself so that those around you cannot and will not effect you emotionally. The most important person in my life is ME and no one else and anyone else who has an issue can kiss me *kitten*. I am sure the sensor will make that into *KITTEN*, yeh I mean *kitten*. :p
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am starting to get worried about you. I saw you wanted to weigh ~95 pounds before people told you that was very underweight. You may want to seek out counsel from a doctor and tell him your plans.
  • PAV8888
    edited November 2017
    Options
    http://www.smartbmicalculator.com/result.html?unit=0&hc=157&wk=56.9&us=1&ua=19&ue=0&gk=

Copying from the WHO Physical activity guidelines with my own thoughts bolded in terms of how I would implement them if I were you :)

Adults aged 18–64 should do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week or do at least 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity throughout the week or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.
    Aerobic activity should be performed in bouts of at least 10 minutes duration.
    For additional health benefits, adults should increase their moderate-intensity aerobic physical activity to 300 minutes per week, or engage in 150 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic physical activity per week, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity activity.
    Muscle-strengthening activities should be done involving major muscle groups on 2 or more days a week. And hey, I would even go to three if confidence and strength training were my stated goal!

Paraphrasing and amplifying smartbmi's wording I would: Eat a variety of foods that you like, optimally including three to five servings of vegetables AND two to three serving of fruit a day. I would avoid eating too sweet, too fat, and too much and definitely avoid eating too little! I would also suggest eating treats at a frequency that would make them a treat as opposed to a staple.

I would NOT necessarily concentrate on counting calories and obsessing too much about macros other than maybe logging for a few weeks or once in a while to get an idea of my normal food consumption and to ensure that I am getting enough protein for muscle development if I were engaging in a "I want to become shredded" program!

I would, in general, grab a trending weight app and keep an eye on my long term weight changes.
    You're at BMI 23.1
    If over a period of months my weight was continuing to go up towards BMI 24.1 and mounting, I would review how I am eating and moving. if it was drifting to below 22.1 I would do the same.

Strength training, martial arts, sports can certainly enhance your health, strength, and confidence. Much more so than dabbling with weight control when you don't actually HAVE to.

ETA: in order to not order pizza and burgers, or pizza topped with burgers, or burgers using pizza as buns... you don't actually need to count calories ;-)

BTW: If you were to tell me that you need to count calories to realize that a full salad order has more calories and fat than a steak sandwich, THAT I would believe.

But making a slightly healthier everyday choice than pizza with burgers? That does not require daily calorie counting!

<and I do note that there is absolutely nothing wrong with SOME pizza EVERY week; a large pizza and a 2L coke like I used to do at university... daily... for one meal... maybe there would be>

<and nothing wrong with the occasional burger either. Look at their macros. Quite often the "sides" and "sauces" are what turn them into a disaster...>
  • PAV8888
    Options
    So @merveozyalin

I did go back and looked at your initial thread... and I am sorry to report that I am coming down more on the fact that weight loss via strict calorie control should not even be on the radar for you.

Other than saying "listen to your mom" <hey: I am sure most moms around here would support that idea>, I would say that concentrating on building up as opposed to reducing is where you ought to be.

Build up strength. Build up confidence. Build up healthy eating habits that emphasize mostly nutritiously sound choices while still allowing you room for eating out and social events.

Have a drink or two once or twice a week. But not necessarily 4 or 5 every second night. (*I note that cds.gov guidelines list 8 drinks or more per week for women as "heavy drinking").

Have take out or a meal out... but not necessarily every day.

Watch the long term trend of your weight and be ready to act if you're falling off track or back to "bad habits" and this is starting to become apparent in your long term weight trend.

And all this is much more important than aiming to become skinny and bmi 18.5.

Sorry: your height already precludes your selection as the next super-model! Walking the runways of Europe is not in the cards for your near future. But this does not preclude you from having a fun, healthy, and fulfilling life... without obsessing about each morsel of food... (there's always time for that later... if you end up having to do so)
  • knhigham
    knhigham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy and exercising more are admirable goals, at any body size.

Because you don’t have that much weight to lose, and muscle build up is a goal, I wouldn’t fixate on exact calories consumed/burned, or the numbers on the scale.

I second the idea of using pictures/selfies to track your progress. That will show you more than the scale will.