34 days left in 2017

Options
I have a goal to lose 21 more lbs before the year ends. I am doing the Ketogenic diet as this has worked for me in the past. Hoping to stay motivated, if anyone has any advice or similar goals to make the most of this year..let me know! :)

Replies

• Maroula79
    Maroula79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We have the exact same goals. I think 20 pounds is not doable but I would be very happy if I could lose 15 pounds until 07 january (my birthday). Add me! Can we do this? can I just stop eating....pasta.... o:)
  • kakaovanilya
    kakaovanilya Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 22 lbs and go back to my old weight. I am not doing the keto diet though. I joined here few weeks ago but i haven't lost anything yet because i still eat a lot but i must stop asap :'( My weight is not too high, I am 143 lbs so i can't lose that much in a month but i'll be so happy if i could lose half of it until new year.
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to do a 30 day program I found online for the first time ever (versus my own routines) just to change things up. 7 days in and a lot to go!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    OP, if you’re looking to lose 21 pounds of fat that won’t happen before January. Your best bet is still stick to a moderate deficit (a pound a week) and do keto if you believe it will help you stick to said deficit. The key is to find something you can do even after you reach maintenance.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I have a goal to lose 21 more lbs before the year ends. I am doing the Ketogenic diet as this has worked for me in the past. Hoping to stay motivated, if anyone has any advice or similar goals to make the most of this year..let me know! :)

That would be a deficit of 73,500 calories in 34 days, or 2,161 calorie deficit per day! If your maintenance calorie amount is 2,000 (just grabbing a number for illustrative purposes), you would have to eat LESS THAN nothing per day. Completely 100% impossible.

A reasonable weight loss goal is 1% of your body weight per week. If you weigh 200 pounds, this would be about 2 pounds per week. 150 pounds, 1.5 pounds per week. You see where I'm going with this?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Just curious why so much weight in a short amount of time? Seems unhealthy and dangerous.
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Please, please, please don't do this. There is no way you can safely lose 20 pounds in five weeks. The absolute max you should plan to lose in that time frame is 10 pounds, and even that could be tough. Making a real and lasting lifestyle change shouldn't include starving yourself for quick results.
  • HayloHorrible
    HayloHorrible Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Just curious why so much weight in a short amount of time? Seems unhealthy and dangerous.

so much weight because this number will put me at 50 lbs total lost. The deadline is a soft one & only because it is the end of the year. I am eating a good amount of calories still there is nothing extreme or unhealthy or dangerous about it that I am doing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

so much weight because this number will put me at 50 lbs total lost. The deadline is a soft one & only because it is the end of the year. I am eating a good amount of calories still there is nothing extreme or unhealthy or dangerous about it that I am doing.

Aiming to lose 5+ pounds a week is dangerous though
  • HayloHorrible
    Options
    I think if you're already at an ideal weight that it is dangerous, but I am severely overweight and I believe it is reasonable and possible.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think if you're already at an ideal weight that it is dangerous, but I am severely overweight and I believe it is reasonable and possible.

The only case in which this would possibly be reasonable is in cases where someone is in a life-threatening situation being monitored by a physician. As in, you need to lose weight this quickly because the physical damage to your body in staying at that weight is greater than the physical damage you'll sustain with the weight loss. You are still doing damage (which is dangerous) to your body either way, but the doctors are choosing the route that has a shot at keeping the person alive.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    To simplify what has already been said in layman's terms.

1lb of body fat is roughly equivalent to 3500 calories.
    To lose 1lb per week, you need a calorie deficit of 500 per day (3500/7)
    To lose 5lbs per week you need a calorie deficit of 2500 per day (500*5)

If you are eating at 1500-1800 calories then you are not going to be anywhere near a 2500 calorie deficit and it's unreasonable to believe you will lose 5lbs per week. Unless you happen to be 6ft tall and 500lbs?

As mentioned above 1% of your bodyweight is a reasonable amount to expect to lose.

gbuzia22ut67.jpg
  • HayloHorrible
    Options
    maybe impossible but I am still going to try my best at staying under 20 carbs a day and get my body into ketosis again. My first month I ate 2500 calories stuck with the macro limitations and lost 30 lbs. When I went off my diet I regained 5 of that now I am just starting over with a smaller goal since I do weigh less now. I can reassess goals with where I am at for 2018 after this year is up, I am just trying to get as close as possible to my first goal. Which yes I am still 21 pounds away from.. I believe I can do it and still eat. The first month I wasn't active at all so adding that in moderately to get used to it should help.
  • HayloHorrible
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Intermittent fasting as well helps my metabolism and I am breastfeeding my baby still so that burns extra calories.. Also makes me have to eat healthily. I've talked to doctors and they just suggest diet pills which I am personally against. So I am trying this Keto thing again because I've researched it, know it well and it has worked wonders for others as well as myself. Total that I've lost since August is 75 inches off my body so the weight is just a number but if I reach it that will be an accomplishment. I don't feel like this is dangerous or that I'm being too extreme with my goals. Although I should have re-started a month ago, this is just an extra motivator for me.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm going to encourage you again to rethink your plan. You've already lost weight and inches, which is an accomplishment. You say the number doesn't matter, but yet you are focusing on the number. You're breastfeeding, and 5 lbs a week is extreme, whether you want to accept it or not. You risk impacting your milk production when you cut calories in general, moreso with significant cuts. You also lose a greater percentage of muscle with extreme dieting - it's not all fat, and remember, your heart is a muscle which you don't want to damage. The end result of losing that muscle is that you don't have a toned looking physique. Significant calorie deficits also lead to irritability, difficulty focusing, and fatigue. You also don't have enough calories to fuel your workouts, and that can lead to things like injury.

You say you lost weight with 2500 calories, so I'm not sure why you would want to drop another 1000 calories off of that when you were able to eat more food and still lose. You also lost a significant amount of weight due to being at a higher weight - you lost a lot water weight, as everyone does initially. Weight loss slows as you lose, that's normal.

I'm honestly concerned that such an aggressive approach is going to lead to physical concerns for you, and that with the holidays coming up, you may find yourself unable to realistically stick to your plan (or completely miserable trying to do it), and that could derail your efforts going forward.
  • HayloHorrible
    Options
    Since you've clearly made up your mind what you're going to do, exactly what advice are you looking for?

And why do you insist on typing everything in bold? It's extremely annoying.

because I can. If you're annoyed you don't have to read what I wrote. And it's in bold so I can more easily see which posts are my own. I don't really want any advice from anyone that's going to be rude to me. I have made up my mind to try this my way and see how it goes. Was looking for encouragement more than advice but my main thought in asking for advice was how to make the most of the rest of this year. Short term. Like I said I will reassess my goals based on where I'm starting in 2018 ✌
This discussion has been closed.