I know this sounds stupid so help me!!

Options
Hey everyone! I've lost a good amount of weight by waking up, doing some DVDs along with some running. Lately though, I have noticed my thighs are getting bulky looking. Most of my DVDs are strength training/lunges/squats and such workouts that work the legs as they are the largest muscle group. I am thinking of cutting out those DVDs and the running and just using my calorie goal to lose weight. I don't want my thighs to bulk up. I have always had smaller thighs and now that they are large, I don't want them to stay the same and be muscular, I want them to shrink back to small then gain some muscle.. I know this sounds stupid, losing weight without exercising, but I just can't help but hate how my thighs are looking even though I've lost a few inches on each one. I don't want them to get any bigger even if it is muscle. Are there any exercises I can do that won't cause my thigh muscles to get huge?

Replies

• amydales
    amydales Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe changing up the DVD's migh help but I wouldn't cut out the running or any other similar cardio. Running has always been the best way for me to shape up and slim down my legs as well as the rest of me. Plus if you quit cold turkey on the exercise, it might mess with your metabolism a bit?? Good luck!
  • brittg7
    brittg7 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    without muscle they will be flabby and your legs wont get big sorry to say but you do not have enough testosterone to get big thighs its muscle you are seeing and muscle burns more fat...you take take workouts out but losing weight without exercise will give you lose skin...best of luck to what you decide
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Maybe changing up the DVD's migh help but I wouldn't cut out the running or any other similar cardio. Running has always been the best way for me to shape up and slim down my legs as well as the rest of me. Plus if you quit cold turkey on the exercise, it might mess with your metabolism a bit?? Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I'll skip the DVDs and just stick with running/walking.
  • deesjourney2fit
    Options
    I agree, change up the DVD's and keep up on the cardio whether it be running, walking, etc. There are tons of cardio DVD's and total body ST videos. Do ST only 3x a week, every other day. You do not want to ST every day. Cardio daily is good for at least 30 minutes.
  • Kayers713
    Kayers713 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I would put up with the large thighs for now, until you meet your weightloss goal. The more muscle you have the more it boosts your metabolism. With your legs having a lot of muscle, it will help boost your metabolism and keep you going towards your weightloss goal. I'd also try to work in some yoga or pilates, to help tone. =] Good luck!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    It might just be your muscles retaining water from all the strength training.

Girls can't bulk up like a man can.. we just don't have the hormones for it!

I'd personally keep doing the strength training and the running... It will all even out in the end, but it won't happen overnight.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Unless you're working hundreds of lbs. on weight machines 5 days/week, you're not going to get huge and bulky. Once you burn off the fat layer, they won't look so huge. Trust me.
  • kikislove2
    kikislove2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    it seems as if you need to change the muscle group you are working. toning exercises are always great, but if you are overworking a particular muscle that is already toned, then that muscle will get larger. so try concentrating on your upper body, and up your cardio..if you quit working your legs all together, there is a chance the muscle will weaken and the skin can turn flabby. so keep moving those legs, but in an aerobic way.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch to yoga, pilates, or an upper body DVD and stick with the running. Sounds like maybe you're working your legs too much. Switching to something that works the whole body might help even it out. Plus, yoga helps stretch muscles so maybe your legs won't look so bulky.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Knowing that my muscles will actually help my metabolism makes it easier to keep going. I'm going to definitely cut back on the strength training. I guess I'm just worried about getting to my goal weight and my thighs will be huge :(
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Running is great to do but I've always noticed that
    doing pilates helps with elongating legs
    to make them appear slender and
    longer. Denise Austin has great 10 min.
    exercise DVDs for legs, arms, and tummy.
    Good luck and keep up the great work!!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    If you've lost inches, maybe they just feel large because they are more solid now. I will say that I love having nice thighs. It feels powerful and men LOVE them. <just saying>
  • chakaal
    chakaal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to not worry and continue with your weight loss programme. If you find after you have lost the weight that you wanted to lose, if your thighs still do not look or seem right, then you can cut back on the exercise, as you will have lost the weight & the muscles will naturally reduce when you do less exercise. Just take care not to regain the weight you lost! ;-)

Muscles take a long time to build & can disappear/ waste away very quickly. Bodies burn calories faster when there is more muscle mass present, but you have to keep working to maintain good muscle tone. The struggle we all get is when muscles build up before fat has been lost, but unfortunately that is only way for the fat to go, so persevere and I'm sure you'll succeed in your goals!! :-) Take care xx
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Upper Body strength training to even yourself out, along with lots of core strengthening, (your back as well as your abs, core doesn't only mean abs)

Muscle burns way more fat at rest. Don't stop strength training. Grab a kettlebell or a set of 10 lb dumbbells and start working those arms and shoulders.

And no, you do not have the testosterone to "bulk up". Any muscle you build will be lean sexy feminine muscle. Female bodybuilders work VERY VERY hard while sometimes taking hormones (and sometimes steroids) to get that "competition" look. And their diet is dialed in to a science, VERY specific. You have ZERO worries about bulking up.
  • chakaal
    chakaal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Muscles when they start to waste away can cause a lot of pain - I had to stop running suddenly due to a painful knee injury and the agony I went though as my leg muscles started to shrink was really unpleasant! It's better to make gradual changes and see the results over a period of approx 3 months, then adjust your routine according to what you want to achieve. I had to start my running regime from scratch and it was again painful having to build up the fitness all over again. I've now switched to cycling as it's easier on the knee! :-)