Worst Christmas gifts

Options
klkarlen
klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
This topic is usually good for a few laughs, and hopefully won't give anyone gift ideas.

On my list of worst gifts - a book of McDonalds gift certificates - from my own father - it was his only gift to me - I was in high school. Oh wait, he did give me a few Army patches from his old uniforms to sew onto my hippie jeans.

I'm sure folks can top that one.

Replies

• MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    klkarlen wrote: »
    This topic is usually good for a few laughs, and hopefully won't give anyone gift ideas.

On my list of worst gifts - a book of McDonalds gift certificates - from my own father - it was his only gift to me - I was in high school. Oh wait, he did give me a few Army patches from his old uniforms to sew onto my hippie jeans.

I see nothing wrong with those gifts. I don't even eat at McDonalds but someday I might have need cash and boom there I have free food. Also, the patches are priceless as I'd love to have more items for memory from my parents etc.

Worst gift.......I got 4 or 5 checkerboards one Christmas when I was a kid and I only say that because it was a generic and repetitive item.
  • WillBeThin86
    WillBeThin86 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My mother always gives me *kitten* she's had laying around for years because she doesn't know me well enough to put thought into anything.
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    Options
    My husband got me a new shower head one year. It wasn't anything fancy and went in the family bathroom. It wasn't even solely for my use. He has since admitted he was really grasping for straws that year. I left it there when we sold the house.

I got one from my ex on my birthday once. It wasn't even the good massaging kind.
  • sw33tp3a1
    sw33tp3a1 Posts: 5,065 Member
    Options
    A collection of tiny perfumes from the stone ages. I swear I smelled like old lady for a week before I said *kitten* this *kitten* and threw them out.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    No bad gifts. I love anything my girls get me, because they are coming to the house to give it. That means I get to spend time with them.

respext.

and yeah, this is pretty much how I feel too.

I told our kids: "You're under strict orders not to buy me anything. If you want to give a hand written card, that's cool, but don't spend any money on me."
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    My husband got me a new shower head one year. It wasn't anything fancy and went in the family bathroom. It wasn't even solely for my use. He has since admitted he was really grasping for straws that year. I left it there when we sold the house.

I got one from my ex on my birthday once. It wasn't even the good massaging kind.

Exactly. If it had at least had a detachable head, I could have made better use of it.
  • helena99716
    helena99716 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A 1$ necklace from Wish when I got them a personalized box of goodies, that I made myself, worth 20$. It wouldn't have sucked so much if I wasn't in the room when they gave someone else the exact same one. And if it wasn't pink, and they knew I don't like pink. :D:D
    At least the box it came in was pretty.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    MrSith wrote: »
    klkarlen wrote: »

I see nothing wrong with those gifts. I don't even eat at McDonalds but someday I might have need cash and boom there I have free food. Also, the patches are priceless as I'd love to have more items for memory from my parents etc.

Worst gift.......I got 4 or 5 checkerboards one Christmas when I was a kid and I only say that because it was a generic and repetitive item.

It was the first year after my parents divorce. Dad made a lot of money and we were scraping by on child support. It would have been nice if he had made a bit of an effort. Second year we got ski-mask hats. I think he wanted us to become bank robbers. By the third year his mother would buy gifts and put his name on them under the tree at her house, because she was mortified by what he sent on his own.

One year I got tv trays from my live in boyfriend. Because I had said we should get some since we ate in the living room all the time. After that I gave him a list to pick from. I know, it's the thought, and that he remembered that I mentioned it, but. . .
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say, I haven't had any bad gifts. However, I may have had some gifts that wasn't for me or my style. Shirts, Music, Lotions/Sprays/Perfume, makeup. But, they were not bad, just not my style. I would keep them. If I found a friend that liked them, I would give it to them to use.