Do you count arm movement?

Options
So, I recognize that moving my arms while I'm standing and folding laundry, or scrubbing a mountain of dishes that never got rinsed will often add steps to my Fitbit. The thing is, I think it's totally legit, especially since I always stand and move a bit while doing these things, even if I'm not taking actual steps. Am I totally wrong in thinking this? I'm still increasing my NEAT, I know my Fitbit doesn't register me scratching my nose, or bringing food to my mouth (yes, I've tested this). I just know a pedometer only registers me as sedentary, my Alta HR puts me at lightly active on a Sunday when I do the bare minimum (I'm a stay at home mom, always cleaning, picking up babies, grocery shopping, etc, Sunday I give myself a major break) I'm losing the correct amount of weight as far as I can tell. I guess I just don't understand why people think that "step credit" from using arms, even when standing mostly still, doesn't really burn calories, and wondering if I'm the only one who feels that way ☺

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,552 Member
    Options
    Activity above what you used to do can only be helpful. If you are seeing progress, then you're doing it right.

One thing to note though... When you engage your legs, you're using much larger muscles and moving more mass than when you're moving your arms. If you're constantly fooling your Fitbit by air walking, it will still have a positive impact, but not nearly as much as if each of those steps were legitimately moving your whole body.

• lukilton
    lukilton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I specifically do strength training for my arms, shoulders, and upper body training, using 3 pound weights. Sometimes while in the kitchen, or doing laundry, I will pick up the weights and do some repetitions of specific exercises. That might be something
    you could do which would be beneficial and give you confidence that your
    movements are legitimate exercise. A win-win situation all around.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. It absolutely increases NEAT. It's movement, and it burns calories.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, y'all!!! I really appreciate others thoughts. Just to put it out there I don't do challenges, so I'm not cheating anyone except for possibly myself ☺ I've got some spreadsheet going to get real life data from this (do my arms really count), and so far it seems accurate, but I need another 3 weeks or so for complete data. This has been on my mind a lot, and I just wondered if there was another person who thought as I did. I will say I remove my Fitbit when sitting and using my arms, like when playing the ukulele or piano. I also know Fitbit never registers steps when I'm driving. It's been fun experimenting with.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Trackers use algorithms to translate the various inputs they receive into some measureable units like “steps” or “calories”. So they are all guesstimates. Depending on the activity, arm movements can contribute to overall NEAT. Over the course of the day, “extra” calories from one type of movement can offset no credit given for another type.

As I think you have discovered, as long as your movements are reasonably consistent over time, you should be able find some useful patterns in the numbers, regardless of their absolute accuracy.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    lukilton wrote: »
    I specifically do strength training for my arms, shoulders, and upper body training, using 3 pound weights. Sometimes while in the kitchen, or doing laundry, I will pick up the weights and do some repetitions of specific exercises. That might be something

3 pound weights aren't meaningful in regards to arm/shoulder/upper body training.

Otherwise cooks would be incredibly muscular since most pans are well over 3 pounds as are many cuts of meat and most bags of flour/sugar.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Of course you burn calories just using arms. Wheelchair athletes and kayakers certainly engage in aerobic activity. Even vigorous heavy housework like vacuuming can be greatly calorie burning.

• kenyonhaff
    Options
    Saying that the average household chores like washing dishes or putting away laundry are pretty low on aerobic or strength. Sorry. More than if you stayed on the couch of course.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try removing my Fitbit when folding laundry and washing dishes, see what it does to my average step count. I'm pathetically excited about this experiment now, and thankful Fitbit sends me a weekly report.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    While moving your arms burns calories, giving that movement the same weight as actual steps that move your body forward doesn't make sense. There's a big difference between moving over 100 lbs three feet forward and moving a couple of pounds around.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    IMO, tracking steps is only a motivator to keep active and a loose measurement of activity at best. I've had days where I logged 10k steps and burned 5k calories because I lifted heavy and days where I logged 20k steps and burned 4k. I'll take the 10k day every time.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I use my ‘standing around flapping my arms’ step count as a guide, however my situation is offset somewhat by the fact I work in a kitchen where at some point I will spend 3 to 4 hours prepping veg for the day. Although the actual cutting of the raw veg requires little lower body movement I do have to lift and move each bag/box of veg to the prep area. Most bags start at 16kg each and sacks of spuds (which have to be lifted up onto the shoulder to tip into an automatic peeler) are 25kg each. It’s a pretty good workout when your prepping upwards of 300kg of raw veg a day.
  • kenyonhaff
    Options

3 pound weights aren't meaningful in regards to arm/shoulder/upper body training.

Otherwise cooks would be incredibly muscular since most pans are well over 3 pounds as are many cuts of meat and most bags of flour/sugar.

It depends where your starting point is. For some people, you don't even start with weights because it's too much.

It depends what your exercise is. Some strength work is dangerous with weights, and others need a little resistance, and some a lot.

Kitchen work in a commercial kitchen can be highly strength-based. Not for one 3 pound roast, but for a 50 pound bag of potatoes, cases of lettuce, or moving heavy equipment...absolutely.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

It depends where your starting point is. For some people, you don't even start with weights because it's too much.

It depends what your exercise is. Some strength work is dangerous with weights, and others need a little resistance, and some a lot.

Kitchen work in a commercial kitchen can be highly strength-based. Not for one 3 pound roast, but for a 50 pound bag of potatoes, cases of lettuce, or moving heavy equipment...absolutely.

A bottle of soda is almost 5 pounds. If you can't do reps with 3-5 pounds, you probably are having trouble with daily living activities.