HR Monitor vs MFP

I am doing the C25K and when I am running my HR Monitor says I burn more calories than MFP says, by about 100-150 higher. It seems very close to MFP when I do Circuit training, Walking, etc. Running just seems to be off. Which one is closer to being correct.

Replies

• If your HRM is one with a chest strap/watch then I would say it is more accurate. MFP can only use an estimation. I find the same thing for my exercises. But sometimes MFP is higher then my HRM depending on the type of exercise.
  • rwuchic
    rwuchic Posts: 20 Member
    HRM. MFP is just using calculations based on height weight and how much the average person pushes. Your HRM actually knows how high you are getting your heart rate.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    HRM-- only if you have a chest strap and a monitor where you can program your height, weight, gender and preferably max hr/v02
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Yes, it does have a chest strap.
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    MFP is almost always wrong. I would definitely go with your HRM.
  • DiabeticAlien
    DiabeticAlien Posts: 240 Member
    HRM-- only if you have a chest strap and a monitor where you can program your height, weight, gender and preferably max hr/v02

Why only if you have a chest strap? Do the watch type HRM's not keep accurate track?
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    I used my HRM without the chest strap just out of curiosty and it was a huge difference. It sort of irritated me since I know most first time buyers will buy only the watch cause it's cheaper obviously than buying the watch and strap set.
  • HRM-- only if you have a chest strap and a monitor where you can program your height, weight, gender and preferably max hr/v02

Why only if you have a chest strap? Do the watch type HRM's not keep accurate track?

Without a chest strap, they are not as accurate.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member

No they don't because the watch only kind get your heart rate only when you touch the sensor.. and unless you plan on keeping your finger on the sensor the whole entire time so it gets a continuous reading, you need one with a chest strap.