How long till i start seing results with squats?

Options
I am a Tennis player and always had that standard slim figure.. am 167 cm and 57 kgs.. i was 53 and recently added weight to be at my current weight (57 kgs) because i want to grow my legs and buttock.
How long till i start noticing change and start to get my butt and legs toned if i excercise regularly??

Replies

• JDMac82
    JDMac82 Posts: 3,192 Member
    Options
    6-8 wks
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Depends on many variables; nutrition, how often you train, how heavy you squat. Women do not build muscle as quickly as men, but if you stay consistent, you'll be rewarded with a bodacious booty, then you'll be complaining about not being able to find jeans that fit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are you doing lifting wise, are you following a program? Are you just doing squats? Squats are a great compound exercise that involve the glutes but it's not the only or necessarily the best glute exercise out there. You really want to hit them from all angles.

If you aren't following a program I would look into something like Strong Curves with focus on the booty.

Have you noticed progress when you went from 53-57kg? Are you still gaining now?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Also I notice you mentioned "toned butt and legs" in order to see definition, you will have to be lowering your bodyfat. Typically when gaining weight this doesn't happen so much as you will be gaining fat and muscle.

So right now focus on gaining weight and building muscle, then you can cut down to lose the fat to get more toned.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Deadlift, squat & lunge with increasingly heavy weights but also look at a whole body programme. Spot training isolated muscle groups just isn't an option.
  • wessx1
    wessx1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    What are you doing lifting wise, are you following a program? Are you just doing squats? Squats are a great compound exercise that involve the glutes but it's not the only or necessarily the best glute exercise out there. You really want to hit them from all angles.

If you aren't following a program I would look into something like Strong Curves with focus on the booty.

Have you noticed progress when you went from 53-57kg? Are you still gaining now?

To be honest i aint following a program .. i did notice a slight difference when i gained weight .. the squats i am doing are all without weights till now but i jog wearing weights on my legs (1.5 kgs) . You sound like a professional , thanks for your advice .. i still am not sure how to hit glutes precisely..attached latest pic
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ +3 Just about anything that Miss Sardelea says is going to be golden. Hi, Miss Sardelea! Check out her progress. Simply amazing work. She def knows her stuff.
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Haha thanks guys.. too kind. I'm definitely not an expert or professional, but I have done plenty of research and built up my body slowly over time. :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    wessx1 wrote: »

To be honest i aint following a program .. i did notice a slight difference when i gained weight .. the squats i am doing are all without weights till now but i jog wearing weights on my legs (1.5 kgs) . You sound like a professional , thanks for your advice .. i still am not sure how to hit glutes precisely..attached latest pic

Don't jog with ankle weights, there's a huge potential for injury.
    Being a tennis player, don't neglect training in multiple planes. Lateral and rotational movements will help you with sport specific exercises. Lateral lunges, med ball throws, etc.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks guys.. too kind. I'm definitely not an expert or professional, but I have done plenty of research and built up my body slowly over time. :)

And you've become expert by doing just that!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    +1 Yes, shameless I know....but total respect to Miss Sardelsa.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    And, to OP......give it time. No one can really answer your initial question "When?". I was out of the gym for three months and have been back in for the last four weeks and I am noticing a change. Nothing spectacular - at this point. But I am noticing a change. Give me another month.....more change.

But, it is all about adherence. I will take this opportunity to preach a little bit....you gotta show up "every day", especially on the days when you really dont want to. That will make all the change in the world. Second point....nutrition. That has to be on point, or all the work in the gym wont be all that effective. End of preach! :wink:
  • wessx1
    Options

I would definitely start following a program.. and look into incorporating weights into your lifting if you can. You want to progressively add weight/resistance to basically tell your muscles to grow.

Also please be careful walking/running with ankle weights it can be very damaging to your gait.. use weighted vests or things if you want to add resistance.

Look up Bret Contreras and Strong Curves. Lots of info on hitting glutes and activation

You are indeed an experience based woman i can tell looking at your figure :) keep it up girl...
    @removing weights ,,, really!!! I didnt know that .. thank you once again...ill concider.
  • wessx1
    Options
    And, to OP......give it time. No one can really answer your initial question "When?". I was out of the gym for three months and have been back in for the last four weeks and I am noticing a change. Nothing spectacular - at this point. But I am noticing a change. Give me another month.....more change.

But, it is all about adherence. I will take this opportunity to preach a little bit....you gotta show up "every day", especially on the days when you really dont want to. That will make all the change in the world. Second point....nutrition. That has to be on point, or all the work in the gym wont be all that effective. End of preach! :wink:
    mmapags wrote: »

And you've become expert by doing just that!
    rybo wrote: »

Don't jog with ankle weights, there's a huge potential for injury.
    Being a tennis player, don't neglect training in multiple planes. Lateral and rotational movements will help you with sport specific exercises. Lateral lunges, med ball throws, etc.

Thanks guys.
  • ejikslonik
    ejikslonik Posts: 10 Member
    Options

you look great and I read few of your responses, sounds like you know what you talking about ;) thanks for the info

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I might be missing something, but I’m pretty sure that jogging with ankle weights isn’t going to grow your butt. Pick a program and run with it. Expect results in a few months.