Going to shoot for 30lbs, I'm 58, would love to hear from others my age

Options
I've let things get away and put on 20lbs. But today while thinking about where I'd be at 20 lbs I had one of those 'let's get honest' moments and realized that I'd be healthier with a 25-30lb loss. I'm 158 and 58 yrs old.
I've gotten down to 138 (so 20lbs feels doable) but i haven't been 133 since I was 22.
Am I being realistic?
Also I am going to take this one day at a time, one week at a time. I'm hoping to follow MFP Calorie sets and shoot for 80/20 rule as long as it fits in my plan. I exercise every day and will only eat some back

Replies

• reginaswork
    reginaswork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh and I'm 5'5"
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I know you can do it- I am 57- and I have lost 17 pounds so far- it has been slow and steady but NOW the weight is off and I feel that I can sustain this- go for it- You can do it!- PS we have a thread that we all encourage each other on - would love for you to visit
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how you feel! :) You might find, as you get lighter, that you're happy with the way you look and feel at a higher weight anyway and don't need to go lower.

Bear in mind as well that our bodies change as we age, and depending on what it's been through in the intervening years yours may not look like it did at 22 even if you do reach the same weight.

I'm 5'6" and 52, and currently just a couple of pounds heavier than I was when I got married at 23. But I'm certainly not the same shape! Regardless, I'm still very happy that I've managed to lose this much and I know it's done good things for my health, even if I'm not totally happy with my shape. (I would definitely recommend strength training while you're losing, as that's one of the things I regret not doing.)

Your plan sounds realistic and doable - take it slowly, learn new habits, and treat yourself occasionally. I think you can do this! I'd suggest only aiming for a 0.5lbs/week loss, but you could probably start with 1lb/week for the first 10lbs if you really wanted to. Depending on how active you are, that may not give you very many calories to play with, though, especially with the holidays coming up (if you celebrate at all)!

Good luck! :)
  • reginaswork
    reginaswork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Debtay123 I would love that, how do I join the thread?
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Almost anything is "doable" ;)

Our stats are very similar, I'm also 58 and 5'5".

However my goal is slightly different..... at least for now.

I'm currently 211 lbs, aiming for 160 lbs, that's 77 lbs down from when I started on here in April. :):)

I have no clue what my body will look like at 160 lbs, lol...I'll re-evaluate when I get there.

I will echo SueSueDio thoughts on taking it slowly at first.

If you stay honest with yourself and persevere you'll be amazed at what's doable!

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,135 Member
    Options
    I've let things get away and put on 20lbs. But today while thinking about where I'd be at 20 lbs I had one of those 'let's get honest' moments and realized that I'd be healthier with a 25-30lb loss. I'm 158 and 58 yrs old.
    I've gotten down to 138 (so 20lbs feels doable) but i haven't been 133 since I was 22.
    Am I being realistic?
    Also I am going to take this one day at a time, one week at a time. I'm hoping to follow MFP Calorie sets and shoot for 80/20 rule as long as it fits in my plan. I exercise every day and will only eat some back

There is a 50+ women's group that you can join.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I'm similar age and height to you - 57 and 5'5". I started MFP at 178 lbs in early 2015 and took a slow and steady approach. My initial goal was 155 and it took me about a year to hit that mark. I wanted it to be attainable. Then when I reached that weight I re-assessed and decided to go for another 10 lbs. I've gotten as low as 149, but I'm currently at 152 and that's where my body seems to want me to stay for awhile. Even though I'm eating well and exercising daily I keep losing and gaining the same 1-2 pounds. Obviously I'm in maintenance right now, but I also feel like I look pretty good so not in a big rush to get to the "finish line". I'm loving being 25 pounds lighter and I have a lot more energy.

In my 20's and early 30's I weighed 130-135 and that was a good weight for me at that age, but not sure that is what I want anymore. I think I would look a little gaunt at that weight now. I will totally agree with @SueSueDio - our bodies change as we age and it's OK for our goals to change along with them. I also think that a little (emphasis on little) extra weight can actually make us look younger (fills in the wrinkles a bit, LOL).

I know many people on MFP say you don't need to exercise to lose weight and that is true. However, if you want your body to look as good as it can AND you want more energy and stamina, then exercise is key. Find something you enjoy and go for it.

You can do this!

• Styggian
    Styggian Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Your approach is better than mine, you have a plan. I did not and got nowhere. So had to rethink, so much info out there I just focused on food intake at first then exercise.

Tip take some photos for the before and after comparison, I wish I had kept some kind of photo diary was not until I posted my before & after selfies that I noticed the change

Good luck
  • tammierlewis
    tammierlewis Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and 5'2". Two years ago I weighed 175 pounds. (Highest weight was 188 a few years ago). In January 2016 I had a hysterectomy. Lost 10 pounds over the next year. Then I got serious about dropping the weight I've carried since the early 1990's. I'm now at 130 pounds. My goal is 120. Nov-Dec are tough months for me with Birthdays and holidays so I'm not stressing about loss during this time. I will hit my goal sometime next year and I'm happy with that time line.

Good luck to you.
  • whitneybex
    whitneybex Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 56 and was 10 stone when I started with MFP and an activity tracker 997 days ago. I have maintained a 21lb weight loss for over a year, and this is down to balancing calories in and the amount of activity (only walking - am not a fan of gyms, and have a dodgy knee so can't jog).

I still can eat pizza, still drink alcohol and eat peanuts, crisps and others snacks (not all the time!). Those fad diets are unsustainable, who can live on cabbage soup! You have to be able to still eat what you enjoy at least weekly, or the weight will go back as you fall off the wagon. Slow and steady to lose gives time to adjust to new ways of monitoring progress and getting into routine for weight loss and maintenance.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!