Help with motivation

Options
Hi everyone! I'm new to "myfitnesspal" and am looking forward to starting. It is hard to stay focused and so I'm hoping to find motivation. Any words of encouragement? Thank you!

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Kudos for starting now instead of after Jan. 1.

Focus is difficult because we are bombarded with diet and fitness information. And much is actually misinformation. Just sorting it all out is a chore.

You mention motivation. Unfortunately motivation is fleeting. A better foundation for weight loss is to try to build a few good habits. And the best habit is a food diary. I used pen and paper. I thought it was easier. Find the system you find is easiest for you.

You don't have to put in all the numbers at first, just a list of what you eat and drink. But this is key, if it has calories, you track everything every day. Good, bad and ugly. Everyone wants to track their good days. You need to track all days.

After you get in the habit of making a list, start filling in numbers. Calculate a modest calorie deficit and start planning to stay within your numbers. In the end, your program will be as good as your food diary. Good luck.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    I would encourage you to not rely upon motivation. Instead focus on building determination or discipline. Motivation isnt always strong enough to get me out the door to run nearly every day. But I make a choice through self-discipline to go out and run and train.

I have never felt motivated to clean the bathroom. If you think about it, there is a whole lot of things we have done in our lives despite not being motivated. But we did them because we had to, or we decided to.

Anything can be done whether you are inspired or motivated or not. Nike doesnt say "Just Do It when you are Inspired." Make a choice, develop a habit, and Get It Done. :)
  • refugeefromkekistan
    Options
    Do you like to read? Novels, non-fictions, anything. Perhaps there are podcasts/YouTube videos (interviews, discussions, etc. not visual-reliant entertainment) that you enjoy. My practical tip would be to grab a ~$30-$50 pair of little bluetooth headphones and set up some playlists or however it will work for you, on your phone or whichever device.

I love cleaning my house for the satisfaction, but it was still dreadful every time as there was so much to do. Now I fire up an audiobook or interview, get to it and I'm lost in the story with the actual work almost unconsciously carried out. For weight lifting, I still prefer my tunes, but for running/cardio if you can pick some material interesting to you, it really negates the fears of "30 minutes of exercise." Just something that has been very helpful to me, the key is to clear out the reasons why not to do something column and keep packing the reasons to do it one!
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I sent you a request.