Viral infection and weight loss.

Options
My whole house has been struck down by a gastro type bug. Everyone else is vomiting I only have severe nausea. Because of this I have barely eaten since Saturday night, I am trying to keep my fluids up. My question is I have already lost about 5lbs since my weigh in on Friday, what's going to happen when I start eating again, should I weigh in and log on Friday as normal or should I skip this week and log next Friday?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    It's up to you really, you know why this weigh in will be different to other weeks, you will likely gain a little when you start eating properly again, nothing you can do about that. My advice stop worrying about the scale and focus on getting better.
  • mlh6468
    mlh6468 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've got it too--nasty virus going around.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I had this nasty gastro thing you describe about 3 weeks ago. Hope you feel better soon!

The scale is going to react accordingly when you reintroduce your normal diet, don't worry about that at all and if you want to skip the weigh in you can or you can weigh and record it 'as you being ill'.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    The scale is going to be whatever it is. Go ahead a weigh and log so you can have that data available to you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My whole house has been struck down by a gastro type bug. Everyone else is vomiting I only have severe nausea. Because of this I have barely eaten since Saturday night, I am trying to keep my fluids up. My question is I have already lost about 5lbs since my weigh in on Friday, what's going to happen when I start eating again, should I weigh in and log on Friday as normal or should I skip this week and log next Friday?

With a gastrointestinal bug much of that lost weight is water weight. Vomiting and diharrea dehydrate you quickly and few people keep up with the lost water. As a result you tend to shed a lot of water weight (5 pounds easily). Basically as soon as you get over it and rehydrate the weight will be back. It has nothing to do with fat, it is very unlikely being sick gave you a 17,500 calorie deficit.