I Think My Short-Lived Running Career is Over

Options
Just here to whine.

For the second time in the past 2 years, I completed C25K. In fact, for this second time, I managed to continue to run for another 2 weeks and actually get the 3.1 mile distance. Previously, I only did the time portion of 30 minutes.

I did the 3.1 miles in about 38 minutes. I feel okay when I'm jogging. Nothing really bothers me. But the minute I stop, there's like this WHOOSH of pain that comes into both of my knees. Then for the next 24 hours I'm like a cripple.

Now my knees have always been a little weak. I'm 53 now. For most of C25K, I did okay with them but I think the 3.1 miles is just too much. I last ran on Friday and I spent about 36 hours hobbling around like a cripple and then it's miraculously gone. It's not a pain like I've hurt myself, but it's just generalized soreness.

I feel so bummed about it because I was really getting into this but I fear that I'm going to actually do some more permanent damage and I DO NOT want to face surgery.

I've been researching ways to strengthen my knees as I'm getting that this may be a biomechanical issues between my feet, knees, and hips. But I'm overwhelmed.

Anyway, I'm taking a week off to rest the knees and I may give it another try over the weekend.

It's just so disheartening.

Replies

• chispaza
    chispaza Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I tried to like running and used to make myself do it even though I never loved it. I found that I like cycling much better. Have you tried cycling (or rowing)? Might be better on your knees.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Cycling will get you the same blend of fitness, solitary training and social competition high as running, but without the damage to your joints. It might be time to look at switching sports.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I know lots of runners who take time off and do spinning (cycling) classes at the gym. Most say it helps them become stronger runners bc they've switched up their training. I'm not a runner but have had knee injuries over the years. The physical therapist I saw had me do leg lifts and cycling to build muscle.
    Give your body some time to recover and heal. And who knows? You might find another workout you like just as much or even more!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I had to get proper running shoes. Go to a running store and get fitted for good shoes. Also I wore knee supports and did a lot of leg strength training to build the muscles around my knee. I was able to get rid of the knee supports and the pain went away.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    To the shoes: I've been fitted several times and ALWAYS have good shoes. My husband is a 3-time Boston Marathoner as well as many other races and he forces me to wear good shoes.

I definitely need to switch it up I guess and with the cold weather here now and lack of daylight, it's probably a good time. I've tried cycling several times and I really just don't enjoy it. Spinning could be a better option though.
  • citygator
    citygator Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Relentless stretching helped me. In my late 30’s everything started hurting. Knees, heels, shins, and ankles. Doctor said “how often do you stretch?” Answer: “never”. Thought he was a quack but 10 years later and now I stretch after every run and rarely have pain. Apparently tight muscles hurt joints.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to see a physiotherapist before making any snap decisions. They can assess your range of motion etc and see what issues you may have and give you exercises to strengthen the areas that need it.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted for new shoes. I know it sounds crazy but I was having the same problem I finally went to a running store and got fitted with Brooks cloud 10. OMG the difference! I no longer hobble going up stairs after a run. My knees don't bother me. Makes ALL the difference in the world. I couldn't believe it. I am now able to run intervals every day and distance on the weekends.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you really enjoy running, maybe you should see a sports physio or a PT. They could help you determine what the limitation is and if you run the risk of lasting damage from continuing.

Also, it's possible that your form isn't great - lots of people tend to over-stride and strike with the heel, which can really put a shock on your knees. Check out "Chi Running" videos on YouTube - it's a very efficient form for distance running that limits strain on your joints.

Of course, if you don't really love running, maybe just find something else. Cycling, rowing, swimming, boxing, lots of good cardio stuff to do. =)

Be very careful with this advice. Purposely changing the way you land may do more damage in the end (achillies anyone?). I am 100% against this (now old) fad.

I do agree that your form may be some of the issue. If you are over striding then the impact is on the knee. To fix this, make your steps short and quick. Your feet should land almost below your body. You may land on the heel or not. Do what ever is natural. Also, keep your body upright (no leaning forward) and swing your arms with your body (not across it). Keep your pace slow and don't increase your distance quickly.

Also, shoes can make a difference (especially if you are wearing the wrong ones). Have your gait analyzed at a good running store.

Good luck.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between "good" and "correct for you" shoes. Go to a running specialty store and get checked out. Then try a different pair. Unless you don't like running. If you don't enjoy running, you should find something else you enjoy.

When I was a newer runner, my knees would be dying after every long run. I finally had someone watch me run and put me in a different shoe. Pain went away and I've run 20,000+ miles since then.
  • dlfwilson
    dlfwilson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you have a running store near you they will watch you run on a treadmill and suggest the right shoes. Good Luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Shoes, cross training, physio
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I'd see an osteopath for an evaluation but if its only after your running then it sounds like tight muscles. If you see an osteopath try to make sure they are good-revires, recommendations etc.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just stating again that I've been fitted several times, with the treadmill, and I do well with two different types of shoes. In fact, I recently changed my shoes again hoping it would help, but no luck. I'm wearing Asics Gel-Kayano's which have historically done well for me. I was in a New Balance shoe before that. I got no change in knee pain with the change in shoes.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    nice doggy; maybe you just over did it, slow it up a bit, mine are the same, and I still do it., relax, no more WHINING!
  • GoodnightJulia
    GoodnightJulia Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    If you really enjoy running, maybe you should see a sports physio or a PT. They could help you determine what the limitation is and if you run the risk of lasting damage from continuing.

Also, it's possible that your form isn't great - lots of people tend to over-stride and strike with the heel, which can really put a shock on your knees. Check out "Chi Running" videos on YouTube - it's a very efficient form for distance running that limits strain on your joints.

Of course, if you don't really love running, maybe just find something else. Cycling, rowing, swimming, boxing, lots of good cardio stuff to do. =)

Be very careful with this advice. Purposely changing the way you land may do more damage in the end (achillies anyone?). I am 100% against this (now old) fad.

I do agree that your form may be some of the issue. If you are over striding then the impact is on the knee. To fix this, make your steps short and quick. Your feet should land almost below your body. You may land on the heel or not. Do what ever is natural. Also, keep your body upright (no leaning forward) and swing your arms with your body (not across it). Keep your pace slow and don't increase your distance quickly.

Also, shoes can make a difference (especially if you are wearing the wrong ones). Have your gait analyzed at a good running store.

Good luck.

Oh yeah, should have been more specific. I definitely DON'T advocate changing your natural landing -- just that if you're a heel striker and you overstride you're going to put a much greater impact on your knees.

The form advice above is dead-on.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I started running in 2016 up to 2 miles by the end of the year, stopped in the winter, and started up again in the spring of this year. I have similar issues with my knees, not quite as severe, but they do swell and bother me afterward. I have good shoes as well, and have tried many (I have probably six different pairs at home). I managed my first 5k this spring, ran 5k's every weekend all summer long and stopped about 4 weeks ago for the winter. Knees are already better. I may look into switching it up and instead of running 4 times a week next year, maybe drop it to 2 and do 2 days on a bicycle. Glucosamine MSM also helps me quite a bit, but I have arthritis in my knees anyway so I always take that stuff. I honestly just don't feel like cycling is as good a workout as running. I'd have to do it 2x as long to burn the same calories it seems to me, but then again, I could be wrong.

Also, cycling, at least where I live (and I don't live in a big city) is more dangerous than running. Cars don't yield like they should, and there are plenty of running paths that are out of the way of vehicles on the roads which aren't suitable for bicycles. Wear good protective gear and keep a watchful eye for idiots if you switch to cycling!

Good luck!