Hard boiled eggs

Options
maura_tasi
maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
This is probably a very silly question, but I'm genuinely curious so bare with me guys! When you are logging a hard boiled egg what is your preferred method? I know a large egg is about 70 calories give or take, so do you just usually weigh the egg after it's hard boiled without the shell on or just guesstimate and leave it at 70 calories for the entry? I know it sounds nit picky and a bit obsessive but I eat them very often and want to get as accurate as I can with all of my tracking since I'm down to the final 15lbs. Today I had one that weighed in at 53 grams hard boiled and have yet to log it because I wanted some opinions first.

Edited for grammatical errors.

Replies

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I always chose the "USDA large egg" at 78 calories entry.. out of curiosity I weighed it (in grams) the other day before lunch, without the shell, and it turned out to be 92 calories. So not a huge difference.. it's not going to make me or break me. But now just to be safe I'll just always log 92. I always buy the same brand and size egg, so I assume it'll always be about the same.
  • maura_tasi
    Options
    JennJ323 wrote: »
    I always chose the "USDA large egg" at 78 calories entry.. out of curiosity I weighed it (in grams) the other day before lunch, without the shell, and it turned out to be 92 calories. So not a huge difference.. it's not going to make me or break me. But now just to be safe I'll just always log 92. I always buy the same brand and size egg, so I assume it'll always be about the same.

Thank you! It's not a make or break for me either, I was just wondering what others did in case there was another way I could do it. I eat a couple throughout the day usually so I guess I was thinking it could ~potentially~ add up. I'll just stick with the usda entry I've been using since I buy the same brand/size of eggs consistently as well!
  • Daveacpa2
    Daveacpa2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I buy Egg-land's Best egg which has a nutritional label for an extra large egg of 70 calories for 56 grams.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I go with 70.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I usually weigh eggs, especially when keeping a deficit. Hard boiled, I'd weigh it cooked without the shell. If cracking them directly into a pan, I tare them on the scale and read the scale with the empty shells. I understand trying to be as accurate as possible. Small errors can add up.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    i eat hard boiled eggs and just log them all the same, no weighing each time.

Differences are minimal and it averages out.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters about 70 cals an egg.
    There are LOTS of peeps on here though who are likely to respond that they actually do weigh each egg....
    The only things I weigh now are rice/pasta/potatoes and cereal. I know what a portion size looks like by eyeballing in general - been maintaining my goal weight for 4+ years so it works for me :smile:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh eggs.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I don't bother to weigh it, I get whatever egg is on sale, and log it at that size.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I mean this in the nicest way possible but you are waaaaay overthinking this. We're talking just a few calories of intake. That's like worrying about staying in bed an extra 10 minutes because you burn less calories than getting up. By all means, do your best to be accurate but not on something where the margin of error is 20 calories.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Yeh I would go with 70 calories and be done with it. Sometimes I wonder if when I crack an egg to make an omelet and some of the egg is still in the bowl I scrambled it in, do I count that since technically it is not being consumed. I am just not that anal retentive to worry about those calories.
  • maura_tasi
    Options
    70 cals per egg - and also my husband bought a countertop egg boiler, and I thought it was the dumbest thing in the world (um? We have a pot and water and a stove, what do we need a countertop egg boiler for?) and now, it is my favorite kitchen thing and we use it ALL the time.
    They're like $20 and every egg that it boils peels perfectly every time, and I don't have to watch it or anything.

That sounds cool! I didn't even know those were a thing. I'm notorious for over cooking hard boiled eggs!
  • maura_tasi
    Options
    Evidently, I've been weighing my eggs and now I am questioning my entire existence.

I have just always read on the forums that it's important to weigh everything when it comes to the last few lbs of weight loss so I assumed everyone weighed their eggs and it wasn't strange. Now I feel a bit crazy :neutral: but I'm glad I asked and got some responses haha