Hard boiled eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    I mean this in the nicest way possible but you are waaaaay overthinking this. We're talking just a few calories of intake. That's like worrying about staying in bed an extra 10 minutes because you burn less calories than getting up. By all means, do your best to be accurate but not on something where the margin of error is 20 calories.

When your calorie goal is 1400 calories and your deficit is 250 calories, if you are off 20 calories here and 20 calories there, it makes a noticeable difference over time. Smaller people with smaller calorie goals trying to lose weight without subsisting on green salads sometimes do have to sweat the small stuff to get things moving. Not forever, but sometimes. I got to have a beer every once and awhile only because I weighed every damn thing.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    maura_tasi wrote: »
    Evidently, I've been weighing my eggs and now I am questioning my entire existence.

I have just always read on the forums that it's important to weigh everything when it comes to the last few lbs of weight loss so I assumed everyone weighed their eggs and it wasn't strange. Now I feel a bit crazy :neutral: but I'm glad I asked and got some responses haha

Don't feel crazy. We all have to do what works for us, and different methods may be more or less useful at different times in your journey.

There is no reason for people to scold you for going overboard when posters are also routinely scolded for not weighing all solids. Judgey people are judgey. :neutral:

I typically buy the same eggs all the time, and when I started out I weighed a bunch of them after they were hard boiled and peeled. Most of them were a few more grams than the crate said was a serving, so I found an entry that matched the nutrition info on the eggs and always log 1.1 servings without weighing them. I am not ashamed to be anal and if crossing all your t's and dotting all your i's makes the process better for you, go for it. The only time you need to worry about overdoing it is if being exact about every single thing causes you stress or to skip out on events to avoid that stress. :drinker:

I'm Definitely not stressed about being exact all the time thank goodness! :smiley: I like to get as exact as I can during the week when I'm providing the food for myself so on the weekends I don't have to stress about accurate logging! I appreciate your response. The popular opinion seems to be what you suggested about just finding the best match and logging 1.1 servings. I think that's what I'll do as well!
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses,I appreciate them. I definitely won't be weighing my eggs for the rest of my life, but right now I'm going to stick to it so I can be as exact as I can since I'm close to my goal and my deficit has gotten smaller. I'm glad I do weigh them because now I understand they do vary a bit in calories, but not a ton. I think of weighing eggs the same as weighing my prepackaged food (yes, I do that too) because now I know that there could potentially be more calories than listed, which do add up if I eat these foods frequently.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The calorie numbers in nutritional labels, books, and sites on the internet are not as accurate as you might think; they're estimates. Measuring caloric intake is not an exact science. Since the numbers aren't reliable anyway for a number of reasons (some of them related to the nature and structure of the food, others related to the way our bodies process them), making yourself crazy trying to be super accurate about measurement is pretty much pointless in my book.

https://www.livescience.com/26799-calorie-counts-inaccurate.html
    http://www.businessinsider.com/calorie-counts-arent-accurate-2013-7
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-reveals-why-calorie-counts-are-all-wrong/
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Never weighed an egg and you don't have to either...
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I log it as 70 and move on with life.

Same
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I log it as 70 and move on with life.

Amen just be confident and realistic.....70 and move on!
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    I buy the same Aldi eggs every week. A couple dozen. I usually weigh them. They range from 48g to 60g each. That's >20% variation. If you eat tons of eggs, it probably averages out. But then it could multiply your inaccuracy on a given day, too. Honestly, it is not any more effort to weigh eggs than butter. I usually weigh butter, too. It's all an estimate, even when weighing everything, and it all counts.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I buy the same Aldi eggs every week. A couple dozen. I usually weigh them. They range from 48g to 60g each. That's >20% variation. If you eat tons of eggs, it probably averages out. But then it could multiply your inaccuracy on a given day, too. Honestly, it is not any more effort to weigh eggs than butter. I usually weigh butter, too. It's all an estimate, even when weighing everything, and it all counts.

What is the size on the label of your eggs?
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Considering there is a range of egg size/weight acceptable within each "size" category (e.g., medium, large, jumbo, etc.) I go with the standard 70 for the large eggs I use and figure it all evens out in the end to an average of...wait for it...the carton's printed nutrition label listing of 70 calories per egg.

The only time I ever deviated from this was when I got a dozen that had, no joke, at least 10/12 (if not all) double yolked eggs in it. It was awesome.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    This is probably a very silly question, but I'm genuinely curious so bare with me guys! When you are logging a hard boiled egg what is your preferred method? I know a large egg is about 70 calories give or take, so do you just usually weigh the egg after it's hard boiled without the shell on or just guesstimate and leave it at 70 calories for the entry? I know it sounds nit picky and a bit obsessive but I eat them very often and want to get as accurate as I can with all of my tracking since I'm down to the final 15lbs. Today I had one that weighed in at 53 grams hard boiled and have yet to log it because I wanted some opinions first.

Edited for grammatical errors.

If you are weighing your egg after cooking are you using a cooked egg entry to log it?
    Looking at the usda database for 50g whole raw egg vs 50g whole hard boiled egg there is an extra 6 calories for cooked.
    If you want to be nitpicky and obsessive you might want to know that. I think you'd be perfectly fine assuming all eggs in your carton are close to 70 calories.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/118?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=Egg+hard+boiled&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/112?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=Egg+raw&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=

If you are not losing at the rate you want then increasing accuaracy of logging is good but plenty of people lose without being so accurate.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

What is the size on the label of your eggs?

"Large Grade A"
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    70 cals per egg - and also my husband bought a countertop egg boiler, and I thought it was the dumbest thing in the world (um? We have a pot and water and a stove, what do we need a countertop egg boiler for?) and now, it is my favorite kitchen thing and we use it ALL the time.
    They're like $20 and every egg that it boils peels perfectly every time, and I don't have to watch it or anything.

That sounds cool! I didn't even know those were a thing. I'm notorious for over cooking hard boiled eggs!

I love mine....remember to pierce the egg though...

You can do the same thing with vegetable steamer basket in a sauce pan. Just posted about this in Food forum. I never pierce the eggs and no problem.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    No, I just use a standard entry that's 78 calories. Perhaps I should change that??
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Truly I never even thought about weighing an egg. I just go with the 70 calories in the MFP database. I normally only eat one hard-boiled egg a day, but I do eat several additional egg whites @ 17 calories each. You get the benefit of the extra protein without all the calories. My dogs love the yolks crumbled on their kibble.

The countertop egg boiler sounds interesting. My go-to method for boiling is to bring the eggs to a rolling boil in a saucepan. Then take them off the heat and leave the lid on for 15 minutes. (I set my stove timer.) Then run cold water over them to cool before putting in fridge.

A friend just told me last week to peel them while they're still warm and the shell comes off super easy. She was right! In the future I will probably peel all of them before refrigerating.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way a trick to knowing when a hard boiled egg is done. Scoop one out that is not cracked and spin it on the counter. If it spins like a top with wiggling then it is done. it does take some effort to spin that hot little bugger, but it can be done.
  • jamespatten3576
    jamespatten3576 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    70 cals per egg - and also my husband bought a countertop egg boiler, and I thought it was the dumbest thing in the world (um? We have a pot and water and a stove, what do we need a countertop egg boiler for?) and now, it is my favorite kitchen thing and we use it ALL the time.
    They're like $20 and every egg that it boils peels perfectly every time, and I don't have to watch it or anything.

Never heard of an egg cooker before I read your post, which got me curious enough to pick one up. Thank you so much, it is amazing, so easy and peels so fast. Wish I would have come across your post earlier.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I just realised that I always buy medium eggs but use the standard 70 cal large egg database entry.
    Eh. I'll take that!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I usually weigh eggs, especially when keeping a deficit. Hard boiled, I'd weigh it cooked without the shell. If cracking them directly into a pan, I tare them on the scale and read the scale with the empty shells. I understand trying to be as accurate as possible. Small errors can add up.

make sure you get the right ratio of egg white to yolk as well in that case.

small errors do add up, but it is a little much to get that specific with the "calorie in" portion of the equation when the "calorie out" portion of the equation is always an educated guess.

the green numbers are a good guideline but the only way to tell if you're really in a deficit is if you're losing weight.
  • zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I weigh them once I have taken the shell off. Not because I am overly worried about a gram or 5 of difference in an egg, more out of habit. If I start deciding that I don't have to weigh one thing, then I know I start to slide. I am also the crazy person who weighs their lettuce and takes a mini scale with me when I go for sushi. :wink: