How to get/stay motivated

Options
I am a serial starter. And my head knows I need to lose weight. But yet it’s hard to get motivated and stay motivated. I’ve done challenge groups on FB w/ Beachbody, But it seems so distant. MFP has been where I’ve seen my most success but I now only have 1 active MFP friend... Are there groups out there? Have you found success for motivation?

Replies

• Danuelle11
    Danuelle11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I guess I also want to make sure I’m accountable. I want someone to know I didn’t eat that donut at that meeting yesterday.
  • KylaBlaze
    KylaBlaze Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Accountability is important, find a partner so you’re not fighting alone or try starting a 30 day challenge and tell yourself you’re going to finish it whether you feel like it or not. Good luck!
  • bellegraber
    bellegraber Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The thing is that nobody cares, or at least nobody should care, what you eat and don't eat. It's totally up to you. Free donut? Want donut? Can fit in donut in calorie budget? Eat donut!

Well that’s kind of rude. Maybe nobody cares about what YOU eat because you come across as unsupportive and demeaning. Don’t make people feel stupid for asking for what they need to keep themselves healthy.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The thing is that nobody cares, or at least nobody should care, what you eat and don't eat. It's totally up to you. Free donut? Want donut? Can fit in donut in calorie budget? Eat donut!

Well that’s kind of rude. Maybe nobody cares about what YOU eat because you come across as unsupportive and demeaning. Don’t make people feel stupid for asking for what they need to keep themselves healthy.
    Well I think THAT was rude, and uncalled for, too.

I tried to help by introducing a different approach, in case the approach OP had already tried, wasn't successful.

How people react to things, is not something one can decide or predict. Don't just assume that the OP reacted like you did.

What useful things can YOU contribute to this conversation?
  • bellegraber
    bellegraber Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I tried to help by introducing a different approach, in case the approach OP had already tried, wasn't successful.

How people react to things, is not something one can decide or predict. Don't just assume that the OP reacted like you did.

I would contribute that Weight Watchers and TOPS are organizations that can provide that peer and group accountability. Or finding a coworker that you can share your weight loss journey with to stay accountability to when there are temptations at work may be helpful. And that motivation and accountability can for some play a big role in losing and keeping off weight so that they can feel that positive reinforcement which helps with the emotional element of weight loss as well.
  • rsimons0133
    rsimons0133 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A donut is fine. Next time just have half. Then after that just a bite. SMALL BABY STEPS.....
    I wanted an oatmeal cookie, but I cut it in half. I ate it slowly and enjoyed it.
  • Aguminus
    Aguminus Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Motivation is all about thinking of why you started in the first place. Remind yourself how excited you were the first week and try to keep it that way. It's also important to have positive people in your life to help you and support you. But always remember that you are an awesome human being that sometimes will fall but will get up again and continue.
  • Danuelle11
    Options
    Ok. Number 1. Wow. Not motivated by some of this thread.

Number 2. I didn’t want the donut. I said that tongue in cheek. But I do want to know that when I’m tempted, I know someone would see what is on my list and that itself will be a deterrent.

I wasn’t asking for a parade. Just friends. Accountability.

At work, if I don’t do my job, other people are affected. As a mom, if I don’t parent, my kids are affected. But, if I eat that metaphorical donut and all my MFP friends are gone, I’m not going to see that donut instantly on my hips (heaven knows it takes more than one solitary donut, thank goodness).

I was just asking for friends for accountability purposes. Thanks.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have clothes that motivate me, but motivation is just what you start out with.

Build solid goals. Follow through with small changes. Those will turn into lifestyle changes. That will take you through when the motivation comes and goes. And it will always go.

Have you ever met someone who just wouldn't eat the donut? They don't have motivation. They just don't eat donuts. It isn't who they are. The person they see themselves as, doesn't eat donuts. That's what carries fit people past waxing and waning motivation.
  • kimcalica
    kimcalica Posts: 524 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I dance.
    I don’t really do it for any other reason than weight loss and strength and endurance, but I’ve chosen an active hobby that I can get better and better at. I have little goals and little milestones to concentrate on.. (get my feet strong enough to shuffle, get my knees strong enough to bend down, get my hips strong enough to swivel.. etc) it allows me to focus on something g else while burning calories so I’m not thinking about how long I’m doing it. I’m obsessed now! And now I can really cut a rug!

I guess what I’m saying is.. hack yourself by using things you enjoy and manipulating yourself to keep active. The motivation will come from the results and benefits you get from your consistency. It’ll become a cycle.. if you keep on and on.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

I would contribute that Weight Watchers and TOPS are organizations that can provide that peer and group accountability. Or finding a coworker that you can share your weight loss journey with to stay accountability to when there are temptations at work may be helpful. And that motivation and accountability can for some play a big role in losing and keeping off weight so that they can feel that positive reinforcement which helps with the emotional element of weight loss as well.

Then why didn't you just say that the first time? It's a perfectly valid point and might be as helpful to the OP as the point you chose to trash (in your first post no less).
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have clothes that motivate me, but motivation is just what you start out with.

Build solid goals. Follow through with small changes. Those will turn into lifestyle changes. That will take you through when the motivation comes and goes. And it will always go.

Motivation is only the start. To achieve real success you need dedication and perseverance. You set your goals, set your plan, then ACT ON IT, FOLLOW THROUGH & STICK WITH IT. Develop the habit of eating right and stick with that habit even when your motivation wanes.

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ignore all the negativity and focus on you. Find your reason for wanting to be healthy and just focus on that. If its your family, think of them on the days you struggle. If its just for personal reasons find ways to challenge yourself and always mix things up to keep you motivated. Never forget that we are all human and will have good days and bad days. Take them in stride and just look for those long term goals. Most people want to live healthy and workout for quality of life but if you are always restricting things you love in life then what's the point. Find a healthy balance that keeps you feeling good and motivated. Best of luck!!!
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to lose weight?
  • Danuelle11
    Options
    mn41ubclemq2.jpeg

I created this today. To make what I don’t eat count. Each 100 calories under 2000 gets a box. (So goal is 8 boxes a day.) Fill up a column, that’s 3500 calories and 1 pound.

I’ve also found some awesome new MFP friends which motivates me to keep on going here.

I know my biggest struggle is just feeling like it doesn’t matter. And I need to see that it matters in a more instant way than how I fit in my pants next month. So I think this is on the right track.
  • aekellund
    aekellund Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Danuelle11 wrote: »
    mn41ubclemq2.jpeg

I created this today. To make what I don’t eat count. Each 100 calories under 2000 gets a box. (So goal is 8 boxes a day.) Fill up a column, that’s 3500 calories and 1 pound.

I’ve also found some awesome new MFP friends which motivates me to keep on going here.

I know my biggest struggle is just feeling like it doesn’t matter. And I need to see that it matters in a more instant way than how I fit in my pants next month. So I think this is on the right track.

I love this idea! I find charts to be very motivating, because I do better when I write everything down. Feel free to add me if you would like some more friends for motivation and support!