So I'm getting a hysterectomy - any recovery advice or tips?

Options
3bambi3
3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
I'll be having a laparoscopic/vaginal hysterectomy (removing uterus, cervix and tubes) in the next few weeks. I'm excited to get the procedure, but I'm nervous about my recovery. My doctor has said 6-8 weeks for recovery to start light exercise, no weights for at least three months. Bummer. Also, no sex for three months. Bigger bummer.

Everything I've read has said that I'll be miserable in bed for 1-2 weeks and then I'll be able to get up and move around and do mostly normal things. My question is: if you've had a hysterectomy (or know someone who did) have you/they found this to be about normal for recovery time? Also, what was your recovery experience? Any tips to make it easier/less stressful?

Thanks!

Replies

• thebutchertg38
    thebutchertg38 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too had a hysterectomy last year and it does take about 6-8 weeks of recovery. I will say don't be in a rush to jump back into exercising so quick because your body will not allow you too. I had to start maybe 5 weeks in with slow walking. I would literally walk around my living room like I was walking on a track. Also listen to your body it will let you know when you have done to much. The most important thing is to make sure that you fully heal. The week before I was to return back to work, I would walk down the block to the Elementary school in my neighborhood and just walk around the school everyday until I built up my stamina. It worked I do alot of walking for my job so I really need to be able to walk around the school and back. I hope that this does help you in your journey, but just be care not to rush to recover so quickly that will hurt you in the long run. I pray that you have a successful surgery and I wish nothing but the best. Have a blessed day.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    I too had a hysterectomy last year and it does take about 6-8 weeks of recovery. I will say don't be in a rush to jump back into exercising so quick because your body will not allow you too. I had to start maybe 5 weeks in with slow walking. I would literally walk around my living room like I was walking on a track. Also listen to your body it will let you know when you have done to much. The most important thing is to make sure that you fully heal. The week before I was to return back to work, I would walk down the block to the Elementary school in my neighborhood and just walk around the school everyday until I built up my stamina. It worked I do alot of walking for my job so I really need to be able to walk around the school and back. I hope that this does help you in your journey, but just be care not to rush to recover so quickly that will hurt you in the long run. I pray that you have a successful surgery and I wish nothing but the best. Have a blessed day.

Thank you for your advice and kind wishes!
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thing and I didn’t spend any time in bed and was advised to walk as much as I could, they even had me up and walking the evening of my surgery. I was aloud to lift 5lb wts two weeks after.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The first couple weeks after any surgery suck. You may feel like you'll never get better and you may wonder how you can feel so much better every day and still feel like kitten. Just know that others have felt the same way and you do get better. I hope it all works out well for you.
  • halicki62
    halicki62 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. That is the best advice I can give you.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I had the same procedure done about 10 years ago. The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that I was told to walk a lot and I passed copious amounts of gas for awhile.
    Best of luck to you.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I recall post-surgery I went to the hospital to visit my mom. She was deeply under the influence of some good stuff, and when she saw me she said, "They took my hysterectomy out." I still grin thinking of that.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the miserable in bed for 1-2 weeks. Lots of rest, yes. Move as much as you can while maintaining any weight lifting or other restrictions you've been given by the doctor Remember, while your "outside" scars may seem pretty insignificant, they did major work on the inside, so you really do need that 6-8 week recovery time. You may find a couple of laps around the living room is enough exercise to need a rest for the 1st few days. Basically, move as much as you can, rest as much as you need. I remember my 1st day home after surgery, ( in the hospital for 3 days) I felt good and I wanted to help with dinner. I cut up an avocado, and had to go take a little rest until it was time to eat. By about 3-4 weeks out, I was starting to find the restrictions were, well, restrictive. It gets better every day.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Thanks all for your input! I think I've just read too many stories online and made myself overly anxious. Sounds like I just need to take it easy and ease back into my usual activities.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm having a vertical cut total hysterectomy on December 20th and they told me I will be up walking within hours.

No pushing or lifting until week 6 but I have been told that walking is an expectation to help lower infection risk and lower risk of DVT also.
    I am meant to increase my walking each day.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    I'm having a vertical cut total hysterectomy on December 20th and they told me I will be up walking within hours.

No pushing or lifting until week 6 but I have been told that walking is an expectation to help lower infection risk and lower risk of DVT also.
    I am meant to increase my walking each day.

Do you mind my asking why you are having the open surgery instead of the laparoscopic or vaginal? Does your doctor think there is an advantage?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    14cm tumour that has to come out whole.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    That'll do it! Mine are much smaller so I get to do laparoscopic-assisted. I'm encouraged that your doc said you'd be up and walking around in a few hours, even with the more major procedure.

Best of luck to you on the 20th! I hope it all goes well :blush:
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Thanks,

Do you have your surgery date yet?
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I had laparoscopic partial hysterectomy 2 years ago. They had me up and walking the next day in the hospital, and my doctor advised me to walk frequently at home as part of the recovery process. Granted, the walking is more of a shuffle, but it helps. Restrictions on lifting and exercise. After a few weeks I was allowed to use a stationary bike which helped me build up some strength. You get one chance to heal right, so take it easy. A few months from.now you'll be amazed at how great you feel!! I did notice alot of the stuff online was more horror stories than Anything. People rarely take the time to not complain online! Good luck!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I had one a couple of years ago. Other than the no sex part, I wasn't miserable. I was encouraged to walk starting before I left the hospital. No other exercise but walking was encouraged at whatever length/speed I was comfortable with. There is no reason you should be bedridden from a laparoscopic hysterectomy unless you have other conditions that require it.

My best advice - DO NOT DIET until fully healed. Your body requires fuel to heal and eating at a deficit can prolong healing.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Thanks,

Do you have your surgery date yet?

I don't have a date yet. My insurance is changing January 1 and I'm trying to figure out if I should do it this year under my current plan or wait until January for my new plan to kick in. Trying to figure it out is a nightmare. So it's either going to be late December or early January.
  • 3bambi3
    Options
    Thanks, ladies! You guys are making me feel so much better.

Different question: did any of you notice a change in sex? Like, does it feel different? I'm assuming since they are removing my cervix and sewing up the back of my vagina that it may not be the same for me or my partner.
  • bbinoa
    bbinoa Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    No difference. I still have mine. I know others who have had it removed and they said it's better now!
    Actually, I'll say things are better because the reason I had the surgery (fibroids) is over and life is SO much better now!! Everyone I know whose had the surgery agrees. Your life dramatically improves bc the issues you were having affect you so much before hand are gone. Yay!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    For the love of cupcakes DO NOT RENT A COMEDY for recovery. We got my mom a funny movie since she was stuck in bed but it hurts to laugh!!!